Welcome to PatsFans.com

N.Y. Special Election

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 24, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +341 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Anyone else wondering how this one's going to turn out?

Today’s ‘Truth-Teller’ In New York: A Special Election With National Implications (The Note)
    May 24, 2011 9:02 AM

Voters in New York’s 26th Congressional district go to the polls today to pick a new member of Congress, and their choice will say as much about who they want to represent them as it does about the national mood on Medicare and a major GOP proposal already shaping the debate in the Republican presidential primary.

The race between Democrat Kathleen Hochul, the clerk of Erie County, Republican state legislator Jane Corwin, and long-shot candidate Jack Davis, who is running under a Tea Party mantle, has become a war over Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget and Medicare overhaul plan.

Today
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -9

The Winner
    The democrat, of course.

:bricks:
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

The seat was previously held by a "Craigslist" Republican..
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

Mr Davis is a dem running under the Tea PArty banner to siphon votes from the pubbie.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +341 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

In that case, it's a good thing that you and everyone knows that and no one will have to worry about him siphoning votes from the Republican candidate since the Tea Party members all know he's fake.

I do notice that he's been endorsed by the Birtch Society - I don't know much about them, to be honest - I actually thought they were all gone - are those people who would have normally voted Republican if they didn't find a candidate they liked better?
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

Teh Communist PArty USA endorsed Obama your point?
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This election will show how the pendulum has swung. Even the most hard line right wing district in NY is embarrassed by the current course of the Republican party.

And don't get it twisted, this isn't about the Craig's list fool, its about MEDICARE.

The tea Party candidate was pulling about 23%, and has steadily been declining, now showing 13%. Almost all of the momentum has shifted from him to the democratic candidate. Kathy
    Hochul (D) started polling at 31% and today is at 42%. thats a 10% swing in both directions. It doesnt take an abacus to figure that math out. You right wingers can try and sugar coat it all you'd like, but numbers don't lie.

New York's 26th congressional district special election, 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOTE: Jane Corwin (R) began polling at 36%, currently...she is pulling....you guessed it...36%

Its almost comical at this point to see the Republicans alliegance to the Ryan budget, as being gospel. Its such a bad idea, even a district that voted for Carl Paladino for governor and is stated by the NY times as "SOLID Republican", will most likely vote in a democrat today.

New York 26th District Race Profile - Election 2010 - The New York Times

Corwin is distancing herself from the Ryan plan, saying she is "Not Married to it". But the damage has been done. To defy the Ryan plan, is to defy the party, and to accept it is to defy the base. Whoever is running the GOP now, is driving it off a cliff, and its wonderful!

this will be another momentum shift away from hard line right wing politics. Keep shooting yourselves in the feet...its 100% okay with me.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +341 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Touche.....

But did anyone claim it was a Republican plot designed to steal votes from another candidate?
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -7

Doesn't really matter who wins this race; it's more useful to look at in terms of turnout and the much ballyhooed enthusiasm gap. Republicans were much more enthusiastic in 2010 than Democrats (hence the tea party, which is really just an emotive banner for Republicans to rally behind), which played a significant role in Democrat's being slaughtered at the polls.

If the prognosis of this race plays out as indicated, it will be a very positive sign for Democratic prospects in 2012.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

No I am pointing out it is a dirty trick by the dems.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

I don't think it says much either way. By all counts it's going to be a close vote. It's a special election of a red seat in a blue state, where the former holder was a pub who resigned in embarassing fashion. I'm not sure it's going to be all that informative with respect to nation wide politics. That's just me though.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

riiight....

I'll try and search the forum on how you pointed out the "dirty tricks" the republicans did with thsi guy....but I'm guessing I'll come up empty.

Alvin Greene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

the poll #s shifted May 18-19, 2011

New York's 26th congressional district special election, 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 18th: Corwin, a state legislator who is supportive of Ryan’s agenda, defended the GOP push for entitlement reform. “The plan I am supporting is not a voucher system,” she insisted. “We have to take action now, because what my opponent is advocating for is to do nothing. If we do nothing, the plan goes bankrupt in 13 years.”

The Battle for Western New York - By Robert Costa - The Corner - National Review Online

The VERY NEXT DAY she goes from 31% to 17%

While Hochul said this: “I have made a commitment that I will take to my grave,” said Hochul, the Erie County clerk. “I will fight any plan that tries to decimate Medicare.”

and shot up 10 points....

But by all means, believe whatever you want....This isn't rocket science.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

Some info on Mr Davis who backed Obama in 2008, real ta party guy here:

Jack Davis, Self-Proclaimed Tea Party Candidate, Backed Obama in 2008 - By Jim Geraghty - The Campaign Spot - National Review Online

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

hahahahahahha!

how did he get the tea party nomination then?

Should it really matter, when this is the same district that voted Paladino, McCain, and Palin?

they elected the Shirtless homie for crying out loud.

Ask yourself "What has changed with thsi 90% white district of NY since November?"

these GOPers didn't just up and move?

it has to be something....

what could it be?

(HINT: paul ryans disaterous budget)
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

That's right, it isn't rocket science Holy. It looks like the support of the Davis guy went to the democrat, which if one of those links is accurate, is a dem to begin with. So color me underwhlemed. It really says little imo. Last I checked, NY is a very blue state. I've heard that this is a "conservative" district and all, but it's NY conservative. The polling looks tight. If one side wins by a single vote they'll be pimping their own propoganda over it, while the other spins it their way. It's a special election. To me, it really doesn't say much about the "mood" of the country with respect to national politics i.e. 2012. Maybe, and I stress maybe, it might tell people that talking about cutting medicare or medicaid isn't wise politically. Wow, now that's something we never knew before.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

He collected signatures from his friends an they added a ballot spot for the "tea Party".

Like a said an attampt to deceive the voters.
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

You can only be deceived if you allow to be deceived.. if you know this information, the voters must know this information. Unless you keep it secret.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This is THE most conservative district in the state. WTF does NY conservative mean when they vote McCain, Palin and Paladino? Do they have to vote Reagan to please you?

This is the same consevative base that said that Scott Brown's victory in Mass was a declaration that the tea-party political view was valid, and our nation had shifted to being conservative. You can't have it both ways.

RW, why do you keep refusing to accept the proof? This candidate praised the Ryan Budget, she immediatly lost 10 points in the polls in a SUPER conservative district. The polls were already close, because of a scandal. Those claiming the Tea Party candidate is drawing votes away from the conservative republican COULD be right, if that tea party candidate was accepted by the conservative right as a former republican, but none of you are.

Face it. Ryans budget, and support of it is costing conservative republicans votes.

good luck with that...these excuses are comical

I think you and I know running on a platform that praises cuts to Medicare is political suicide....YOU and I know this....

If WE do, how come the people currently running on the GOP ticket don't?

I thought Michael Steele was an idiot....Reince Priebus is the guy idiots call dumb.

http://rlv.zcache.com/reince_priebus_rnc_pr_bs_shirt-p235412458594409043qre7_400.jpg
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +341 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

UPDATE:

Heavy Turnout in New York Congressional Election

Turnout appeared fairly strong for the special election in western New York State’s 26th Congressional district on Tuesday, officials said. But it was not immediately clear which of the candidates, if any, would benefit from the high degree of voters’ interest in the race.

In Riga, N.Y., a small farming town in Monroe County, 200 people turned out to vote by 9:30 a.m., which polling officials said would be a larger-than-usual turnout for a general election, let alone a special contest.

Heavy Turnout in New York Congressional Election - NYTimes.com