Welcome to PatsFans.com

N.Y. governor abandons driver's licenses for illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I don't get the objection to illegals having driver's licenses. After all, the fact is they are here, and many of them are terrible drivers. By allowing them to get licenses, we can make them learn to drive, and also have an ability to track them. As far as the concern about voting fraud, why couldn't these licenses simply have some code on them if the applicant fails to show proof of citizenship?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/14/ny.licenses/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer will withdraw a controversial plan that would have allowed undocumented immigrants to obtain driver's licenses, a spokeswoman told CNN Tuesday night.

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer's plan for driver's licenses for illegal immigrants came under heavy criticism. Spitzer plans to withdraw the proposal on Wednesday, spokeswoman Jennifer Givner told CNN.

Spitzer's plan drew national attention and stirred opposition from critics, some of whom expressed concern over possible voter fraud.

Seventy-six percent of Americans oppose giving driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, according to poll conducted in October for CNN by the Opinion Research Corp.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 1 / -9

The people let this jerk know where they stood on this one, Spitzy better find another line of work, he's all washed up in politics, maybe a "Driving School" will hire him :singing:
  3. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

driving is a privelege not a right.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

At the same time, many illegals do drive, and it would be better for safety if they were made to take driver's tests. The immigration aspect of the problem is a federal issue, but the safety issue is state. I have a friend who was in an accident with an illegal, which of course meant there was no insurance, no license, no fairness.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

It give a privilege (driving) to people who are breaking the laws of this country, also in many jurisdictions it allows no citizens the ability to register to vote which disenfranchises citizens and their vote, by diluting to votes of citizens witht he votes of non citizens. Also it allows access to government programs paid for by American taxpayers to people who are here as a result of breaking our laws.

The whole idea was a nutty liberal scheme.
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why, Patters, it's so unlike you to stereotype an ethnicity :rolleyes: If I said the same thing, I'd be banned for 6 months.
    No, my ignorant friend, you're not fooling anybody. We all know the slippery slope you want to start here... "What's the harm in issuing driver's licenses?" they ask... then, once they get licenses, it's "What's the harm in allowing people with licenses to vote? And get welfare? And free health care?"

It's nice to see a politician cave to the desires of the citizens of this country instead of the illegal immigrant lobby.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

I don't get the support for giving illegals licenses. After all, the fact is they are here illegally, and none of them should be driving. By allowing them to get licenses, we're condoning their actions, and are empowering more to come. Why don't we just enforce the laws currently on the books, and deport these people as soon as we find them?
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Notice, everyone, how the liberal solution isn't something like "enforce border security" or "deport illegal immigrants"... No, those solutions would be too difficult to enforce..!!
  9. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Wow! A politician actually did what the people want! Quick, someone contact riplys believe it or not!
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Why do we have gun laws? Many people have guns illegally. We would be safer if we just let everyone have a gun.

How about we just enforce the laws we have on the books, fine employers, seal the border, and deport these people people as soon as we catch them.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Some people can see right through this BS. This coddling is all a design to push the issue to a point of forced Amnesty. The more benefits you give these people, the more priveledges you provide, the more embedded they become, and the harder it will be for Joe Taxpayer to kick them the F out. You give them tuition, licenses, etc.... and the next thing you know, they're hear, and not going anywhere. This country is so over it's sad.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

This was done so another NY politician wouldn't be asked to give her opinion on the subject. Spitizer raising this issue was bad for Hillary. ;)
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Illegal immigration is destroying our country. In another 50 years or so, we are going to be a 3rd world backwater just like Mexico.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 1 / -9

And the funny part of it will be the Loony Liberals that made it possible for Criminals to take our country over will be the first ones thrown in the
    New Dictators Dungeons when they start demanding their Civil Rights and babbling about the Constitution, the Dictator will say "what constitution, we burned that thing".

Why Do Liberals Love Dictators :confused:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

I'm not sure it'll take 50 years. :( This country is toast buddy. It's not just illegal immigration either, although that will be the nail in the caufin for sure.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Stop the fear mongering.

It won't be so bad, just white men will not have the disproportionate power and opportunity they have now. The country went through similar fears with freedom for slaves, the influx of Irish immigrants, equal rights for women, and so on. But, those things turned out okay. In fact, they made our country better.

Once we find a sensible way to resolve the illegal immigration situation, the illegals will become better assimilated and the problems will be largely solved. That said, resolving the problem does involve securing our borders, deporting illegals who are criminal, and providing an amnesty route that promotes the English language, American customs, and American values.

The voting issue could be resolved by having such drivers licenses marked with a big no voting privileges code that would also prevent the license from being used for other purposes. I think it's a safety issue. What's the point of pretending these people aren't here, and forcing them to drive illegally and dangerously and without insurance. Who wins? In the end, if they cause an accident, our taxpayer funded police are involved and if they end up at a hospital, we pay for that as well.
  17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree we should deport illegals who are criminals and since, by the very definition of the word "illegal" they are all criminals they should all be deported. And we should put the hammer down on any company that hires an illegal, thereby removing a huge incentive for them to be here in the first place.
    Yeah, see this is the type of thing that liberals know woudl never go over so they pretend to make a concession on the matter but only with a little nudge and a wink...
    All the more reason for them to GTF out of our country.

The problem won't be solved by licensing illegals. The probelm will be solved by jailing and deporting illegals.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I don't want to amke it easy to break the law. I don't want government condoning the breaking of our laws. I want people who come here and break the law deported ASAP.

I am in favor of legal immigration. I oppose illegal immigration.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Yeah, I'm fear mongering for stating reality. Incase you've been under a rock for the last....nevermind. :rolleyes:
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Amen. See, for people like Patters, those of us who want the law enforced, immigration documented and controlled, and our middle class protected, are simply racists, as he pointed out in citing our fear of white supremacy. :rolleyes: