Welcome to PatsFans.com

N.J. ACLU to sue NJ Transit for firing employee who burned Quran on 9/11 anniversary

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Nov 9, 2010.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

N.J. ACLU to sue NJ Transit for firing employee who burned Quran on 9/11 anniversary | NJ.com

If he had lost his job for buring the American Flag, the left would have
    held a march to get him his job back.

I have never been a fan of the ACLU, but I respect them for defending
    this poor fool.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Re: N.J. ACLU to sue NJ Transit for firing employee who burned Quran on 9/11 annivers

They defend Everybody from what ive seen, even the Illinois Nazi's. Not saying this guy is a Nazi, just that the ACLU will defend they're right to free speech. Ive never gotten the rights hate for the ACLU.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Re: N.J. ACLU to sue NJ Transit for firing employee who burned Quran on 9/11 annivers

Right or wrong, when you defend the Ku Klux Klan, Gay hating Westboro Baptist Church, and NAMBLA, you are not going to make many friends.

As a father of a young boy and girl, I can honestly say I hate anyone who defends NAMBLA.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

when its teed up...and I've got the driver and a wide fairway.....
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Our Justice system is such that ALL peeps get a defense. It was John Adams I believe who defended the British soldiers after the Boston Massacre...

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - JA

John Adams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -8

What HD said, Joe.

The right to popular and un-stigmatized speech is very easy to defend. The right to say and believe abhorrent things is what you need an ACLU for.

Now then - I don't think people should be burning other's sacred texts.

I'm sure some of our local morons will show up and say everybody should burn Qurans.

And if I was in a bar, or on a bulletin board, or whatever, I'd have little love for anybody who defends such a person in that sense of the word.

But a legal defense is another matter. whatever the particular outcome, this feature of the American judicial system - the right to a vigorous defense - is a key safeguard against tyranny, something that real constitutionalists understand.

By the way, I suspect this case will end very much the way other conceptually similar cases have ended, running into Oliver Wendell Holmes' epigram that "the defendant has the right to free speech, but he does not have a right to be a policeman." In other words, NJ Transit isn't forcing him to stop burning Qurans. They're just stopping him from working for NJ Transit.
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

They lost me with that one. Sharing tips on how to get away with the rape of children is conspiracy, not protected speech.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's true that anyone accused of a crime has the right to an attorney. But when it comes to the ACLU defending Nambla, we're not talking about having a legal defense in a criminal court of law. We're talking about a situation where, as another poster pointed out, they were using "free speech" to justify their ability to share tips and tricks to seducing children and getting away with it.
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't be ridiculous. In this day and age we need to recycle.
    Isn't that a form of discrimination though? Aren't we not supposed to discriminate against employees based on their personal "lifestyle choices" or political beliefs? (Assuming he did the burning on his own personal time and did not act as a representative of the transit system or anything like that).
  12. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +269 / 4 / -9

I believe that anyone who is burning a Quran on 9/11 should be deemed unstable. A definite poster child for 'going postal'.

I would want him out of my workplace, also
  13. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +269 / 4 / -9

not discriminatory so much as mentally unstable.

I'd bet he is still angry about something that had nothing to do with 9/11
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

The guy deserves his job back or a settlement greater than what he would have earned had he continued to work there.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Like it or not its our system. Unless you want to adopt "Hamurabi's Code" or "Sharia Law"?
  16. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

So you think that conspiracy to commit child rape is protected speech? Yeesh.
  17. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I usually hit the rough... :mad:

I am anti-ACLU for all the above reasons, but I also agree with them here.
    Unless this guy was wearing his NJ Transit uniform while doing this, or was doing it while on duty or on NJ Transit property, there is no legitimate reason for him to be fired.
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I wonder how the NJ government would have reacted if this had been done by a private company rather than one of their own?

I think they win this one hands down.
  19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

HD...you really should NOT capitalize the word sharia. Do you make a habit out showing respect for something that deserves condemnation?
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

we are seriously drifting...

Im not arguing that, I'm saying they have the right to a legal defense in a court of law. Its one of the founding blocks of our system.

most improved image award:

YouTube - Mr. Show The New Ku Klux Klan

skip to 3:43 for the NAMBLA skit, but the entire video is gold.