Welcome to PatsFans.com

N.H. should reassess legacy of Senator Styles Bridges

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 18 / -17

Today, when we think of social conservatives, we think of them opposing contraceptive coverage for women, opposing abortion rights, opposing gay marriage, opposing hate crimes laws, opposing immigration reform, opposing any form of affirmative action, and basically opposing laws and services that benefit people who don't look like them. Someday, we may look at the attitudes of social conservatives today with the same horror that we now look at conservatives of yesteryear.

This is an editorial worth reading:

New Hampshire should reassess legacy of Senator Styles Bridges - Editorial - The Boston Globe

The Styles Bridges Highway flows through some of the most beautiful country in New England, along peaceful river beds, verdant notches, and dazzling mountain vistas. Tourists probably don’t realize that the road is named for a legendary New Hampshire politician, Senator Styles Bridges, who served from 1937 until his death in 1961. A major power broker in his day, Bridges helped to define the state’s rock-ribbed conservatism.

But the Nov. 12 issue of The New Yorker contained an uncomfortable wake-up call: Alex Ross, the magazine’s classical-music critic, wrote an essay on changing attitudes toward homosexuality that included this passage: “In an episode loosely dramatized in the novel and movie ‘Advise and Consent,’ Senator Lester Hunt, of Wyoming, killed himself after Styles Bridges, a senator from New Hampshire, threatened to expose Hunt’s son as a homosexual. Bridges still has a highway named after him.”

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Bridges is scum, but I can't hold him responsible for a suicide. Like the article mentioned, there are many politicians who were unethical or corrupt and have institutions named after them. J Edgar Hoover comes to mind in regards to ethics and institutional names. I'm glad Boston got it right with the Ted Williams tunnel versus John Michael Curley.

3. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -2

Wow, a politician using personal and family information against another politician? What a novel concept. And, how big of a homophobe was Hunt that he actually killed himself so that no one knew he had a gay son?

4. scout

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

So, you think the guy's dirt too?

5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +115 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

Vince Foster?

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

6. Hamar

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -2

I think he is a politician and that is what politicians do.

7. scout

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Miss the connection?

8. scout

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Blanket statement. Do you think Bridges is dirt?

9. Hamar

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -2

I don't know. Is it a fact he did this or just a sentence in an essay? As for "dirt" I am not sure exactly what that means. Are you asking if I think he is a bad person if he did this?

I guess if I knew for sure he did this then I would say it was wrong. He was blackmailing Hunt if true. I think blackmail is wrong. But, then again he only threatened to tell the truth.

What about you? Would you condemn a Democrat for using blackmail? I mean if you found out that someone like Obama had threatened to tell the public a truth about someone for political gain would you then consider him dirt?

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

Assuming it is true, and that the guy was the biggest homophobe imaginable, all he'd have to do, were he alive of course, is appologize and beg forgiveness for his foolish ways.

Only if it were indeed true of course. ;)

[​IMG]

11. scout

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

LMFAO!
    Yes, as a matter of fact if the individual was a Democrate I would call him dirt. Dirt, meaning something you step on and maybe spit on. I have no problem stating in this forum when I am wrong, and have no problem calling a politician out regardless of their party.