Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mysteries of the electorate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 20 / -17

Looking at the CNN exit polls, the strangest number is that about 12% of liberals supported Romney and about 17% of conservatives supported Obama.

Now, I can understand some liberals supporting Romney because, if you're frustrated with the economy, you could see Romney as a moderate who introduced Romneycare and moderated his views starting with the first debate. Romney certainly wasn't scary, and had he won, I would have been disappointed, but not depressed.

But, how could 17% of conservatives support Obama? I could understand evangelicals not voting on religious grounds, and I can understand that there are some conservatives who might have benefited specifically from the stimulus or health care reform in terms of their businesses or investments. But, 17%? That seems awfully high.

Your thoughts?

Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +382 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Gender and race/ethnicity broke pretty strongly toward one candidate or the other, so maybe these represent conservative minorities and women?

3. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +224 / 12 / -7

Romney's lack of backbone. Auto-workers.

4. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +206 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think women who were put off by the Republican party's views on birth control and Ryan's religious right views putting off men and women alike. I think the guilt by associate hurt Brown locally and Warren playing the women's issues card really worked.

I think the Republican party really has to take a hard look at how the hard core religious right is dragging them down in the northern industrial states and the west coast. Granted they do so at the risk of losing support in the south but really how much? They would still rather vote for somebody who's a centralist on those issues than a liberal. Ryan's inclusion on this ticket along with Romney changing his views to play to that crowd during the primaries and then moving back to the center a little once nominated to play more to the general public turned a lot of independents off, myself included.

5. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +326 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

Neither have shown backbone imo. Hopefully both parties can actually agree on something the next 4 years to get something done with this country. Presidents tend to look like buffoons when bipartisanship fails because of political agendas.

Biggest thing for me this election was the people voting down most of the measures that had corporate greed written all over them.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +326 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

It was a tough hill for republicans. They've lost touch with common issues and seem to not be with it when it comes some of the underlying racial views of this country. Hence the Obama 93%black vote and the 70% Latino. That plays a big part in most of the major cities where electoral votes are won and lost.

I don't see another republican in the presidency until they reform themselves.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +985 / 2 / -9

Mysteries of the electorate,

Look how they turned on Poor Old Hillary when The Golden Boy showed up,