PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Myron Pryor (and more broadly, the shape of the DL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He seemed real strong and played with good leverage...this draft class is looking very solid

Its kind of funny how all the media and experts said that this draft class(Whole NFL Draft) was a weak class. I guess BB knows how to find the diamonds in the rutt!! I cant wait for the regular season to start :D

Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Burgess
TBC/Woods/Crable MAYO A. Thomas

That would scream to me "throw the ball short". Thomas and TBC/Woods/Crable would get abused by RBs/TEs/Slot guys. None are fast enough to play OLB in a 4-3

We'll see more 4-3 because we plan to be in many more passing situations. We plan to be ahead and also to do well defending first down.

BTW, an issue not discussed much in whether we are playing our 4-3 is usually a one-gap or a two-gap.

Finally, I don't think that Warren and Seymour are near as good as 4-3 linemen as they are as 3-4 linemen. Also, Wilfork is a better NT than a DT. I just don't get everyone saying we shoudl play the 4-3 because we finally have the personnel for it. The truth is that we have one of the very best 3-4 lines in the league. We do NOT have one of the best 4-3 lines. All of our #1's would be out of position.

And this is why we'll see a lot of 4-3 this year. We're so deep at the DL.

I'm assuming when Warren gets back he'll be the DT that lines up on the outside shoulder of the RG in the 3-technique -- using the same principles he uses as a 3-4 DE or does he continue to line up at LDE? In a 4-3 Wilfork lines up on the C's shoulder and has the same responsibilites as he does in a 3-4. Pryor backs up Warren and plays on all passing downs and Brace backs up Wilfork. The Pats could also rotate Seymour in on passing downs keeping all DL fresh. The player making the biggest adjustment will be Seymour, where he lines up much wider as a 4-3 DE than in a 3-4. If he still has the speed/quickness he could post some big numbers in this style D.

That would scream to me "throw the ball short". Thomas and TBC/Woods/Crable would get abused by RBs/TEs/Slot guys. None are fast enough to play OLB in a 4-3

Okay, I'll concede TBC/Woods/Crable lacking the quicks for this scheme, but maybe sub in Guyton every now and then as he definately has the quicks and has had a year of primary coverage responsiblity experience. But AD has demonstrated the quicks to keep up with hard cutting RBs and TEs in coverage --- hell that was one of the biggest reasons why the Pats signed him, AD had the coverage skills of at least a dime safety...

And if the Pats are playing a run first team with an inexperienced QB --- why not challenge the QB to make very quick decisions in the face of a massive pass rush (not in terms of pressure but in terms of player dominated radii) that can knock down plenty of balls ---

Don't do this every week, but this is something I would be surprised if we don't see 2 or 3 weeks this year.

Its kind of funny how all the media and experts said that this draft class(Whole NFL Draft) was a weak class. I guess BB knows how to find the diamonds in the rutt!! I cant wait for the regular season to start :D

I don't remember them saying it was a weak draft. I remember them saying that there wasn't a whole lot of first round talent, but a ton of second round talent. That seems about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back