Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Miami - C. Long - DE

St.L - V. Gholston - DE

Atl. - M. Ryan - QB

Oak - G.Dorsey - DT Davis takes him over Ellis(USC) to piss Kiffen(USC) off.

KC - J. Long - T Perfect scenario for them.

NYJ - D.McFadden - BPA. Could trade with Dallas here.

NE - I would love to trade out. But, let's say that nobody meets our demands. I don't think any of the cb's are worthy of this high a pick. Here we go. I went with combo of NFL Scout/NFL Draft Countdown to pick someone in our slot.

1. R.Clady - T - Boise St

Best player on the board 10-12 yr starter. Brings a smile to Tom Brady's face.

2. C. Godfrey - CB - Iowa

I don't see guys like P.Lee,A.Cason or T.Porter falling this far. Maybe, B.Flowers - Va Tech. I can see a trade up here if we don't get a cb in 1st round. But, I'm doing my draft sans trades.

3a J. Goff - ILB - Vandy

Seems to have the size,smarts and toughness we like.

3b C. Jackson - CB - LSU

Battles Godfrey for starting spot. Loser will prob be nickel. Hoping we sign T.Law to ease the pressure on both.

4 C. Stevens - TE - Cal

Tough,hard-nosed kid. Good blocker. Team Captain. Not great hands. But, we won't be throwing the ball his way.

I missed out on getting a pass-rusher. But, A.Thomas will play olb all year. Hope we use P.Woods more as a situational pass-rusher to spell him and Vrabel. Assuming we sign Seward that gives us some yutes at ILB. Plus, a couple of good prospects at cb. Teams in division are loading up on DL to get after Brady. I think Clady gives us a ton of flexibility on OL. Could start at RT. Could start at LT and move M.Light to RT. Could move Light to LG and Mankins over to RG to help solidify right side. Especially, if S.Neal can't go.

The only player even close to to value at that spot is Clady most of the others you mention are late first round or even late second round picks. Also in BB/SP takes a TE that early with what we have on the roster I think I just might start losing faith in them and wonder if they are going senile. DRC(might be early too but he is flying up draft boards), Mckelvin, Ellis or a LB would be good there. But more then likely if Ellis falls to us someone like Carolina, Chicago or, New Orlenes will call us and trade because like many have said the gap between the top to DT and the rest is huge.

Last edited:
The only player even close to to value at that spot is Clady most of the others you mention are late first round or even late second round picks. Also in BB/SP takes a TE that early with what we have on the roster I think I just might start losing faith in them and wonder if they are going senile. DRC(might be early too but he is flying up draft boards), Mckelvin, Ellis or a LB would be good there. But more then likely if Ellis falls to us someone like Carolina, Chicago or, New Orlenes will call us and trade because like many have said the gap between the top to DT and the rest is huge.

I think there will be interest in S.Ellis. Maybe, Clady too. I meant the other players were the rest of our draft.Not, who I'd take if not Clady.

It's not a bad draft. If Clady lasts to 7, he could be the guy. The Pats are definitely going to see more blizting in 2008 after the other teams in the league see what the Giants did to this offense. The Jets, in particular, are going to be nasty with both Pace and Gholston to come after Brady. LB and CB are big needs too, but protecting Brady has got to be a priority. It doesn't matter if he has Randy Moss, if he doesn't have the time to throw to him.

It's not a bad draft. If Clady lasts to 7, he could be the guy. The Pats are definitely going to see more blizting in 2008 after the other teams in the league see what the Giants did to this offense. The Jets, in particular, are going to be nasty with both Pace and Gholston to come after Brady. LB and CB are big needs too, but protecting Brady has got to be a priority. It doesn't matter if he has Randy Moss, if he doesn't have the time to throw to him.

In that case, then Williams of Vandy makes more sense at #7. He gave up what 2 sacks in his entire SEC career as opposed to Clady who really didn't play anybody his entire career except Oklahoma.

In that case, then Williams of Vandy makes more sense at #7. He gave up what 2 sacks in his entire SEC career as opposed to Clady who really didn't play anybody his entire career except Oklahoma.

I've heard of Williams, but I don't think he is as highly rated as Long and Clady. You could probably trade back and still draft a Williams. Clady sounds like he will go early. I'm not even sure if he will get past the Chiefs. Just going with the OP's scenario that Clady does slip down to 7.

If Clady falls to us #7, word out of Carolina is that they are drueling over him, his stock is rising, some scouts have him as the #1 tackle, he's LT and RT ready right now to whatever team he lands with, whereas Long is simply considered only RT ready. A trade down to the Panthers at #13 would work great and we can pick up their #2 or swap 2's and grab their #3, w/e, let's work it out.

#13 unfortunately will not land us my prize (DRC), he won't get past the Saints at #10 but a McKelvin at that spot would be nice and with the additional move up in Round 2, we can look to improve the pass rush on the outside, then with the 3's focus on ILB and OL.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is only one MAJOR problem with your statement. The Giants weren't blitzing that often. The Giants were STUNTING much more than they were blitzing. And the Pats linemen weren't picking up the stunts with their zone blocking. It was a MAJOR letdown across the board by the O-line.

There's an outside chance Clady could be the first overall selection, so if the Patriots were able to get him at #7 I'd be extremely happy. Any way the dice fall, we're going to end up with the ability to draft a player who can help our team, be it Clady, Ghoulston, Groves, or a defensive back..

There is only one MAJOR problem with your statement. The Giants weren't blitzing that often. The Giants were STUNTING much more than they were blitzing. And the Pats linemen weren't picking up the stunts with their zone blocking. It was a MAJOR letdown across the board by the O-line.

Fine, they were mixing in stunts. It's a copy cat league. What do you think will happen next year? I'll bet more of that stuff. I don't think block scheme alone is an excuse, since they were using it all year long with a great deal of success (#1 offense of all time). The OL could use some improvement in talent to get guys who can handle stunts and blitzes better. I'm not necessarily saying it has to happen with the #7 overall pick. But I wouldn't complain if we took Clady either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes