My visit to the Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Last weekend, the wife & I had to go to Masillon, OH for a funeral.

After that event, I realized we were right next door to Canton... so we HAD to go to the hall of fame.

It's amazing how NOT glitzed over the whole thing is, given the general trend regarding all things NFL, and I urge everyone who can to see it, before somebody gets the bright idea to turn it into Disneyworld (you know they will.)

Anyway: Very modest but substantial presentation... nothing is overdone with dozens of neon signs, but it is all plenty impressive, once you're in the interior. It was not crowded at all.. we could have walked around all day and spent half our time w/no other fans IN SIGHT. They had a little seat-rumbling sensaround-type movie, and there were like 3 other people in the theater.

There was plenty of Pats memorobilia, of course -- until you get to the busts ;) But that's just a matter of time. I did get to see the 3 most important super bowl rings... they have a case where all XXII rings are lined up. Amazing to see them grow over the years.

(PS - Mods, go ahead and move this if it should be elsewhere.)

PFnV

Re: Ot(?) - Hof

After that event, I realized we were right next door to Canton... so we HAD to go to the hall of fame.

It's amazing how NOT glitzed over the whole thing is, given the general trend regarding all things NFL, and I urge everyone who can to see it, before somebody gets the bright idea to turn it into Disneyworld (you know they will.)

Anyway: Very modest but substantial presentation... nothing is overdone with dozens of neon signs, but it is all plenty impressive, once you're in the interior. It was not crowded at all.. we could have walked around all day and spent half our time w/no other fans IN SIGHT. They had a little seat-rumbling sensaround-type movie, and there were like 3 other people in the theater.

There was plenty of Pats memorobilia, of course -- until you get to the busts ;) But that's just a matter of time. I did get to see the 3 most important super bowl rings... they have a case where all XXII rings are lined up. Amazing to see them grow over the years.

PFnV

Great post! I hope to get there one day, I've always wondered how we were represented there, thanks for the insight!

I visited the hof back in 03. It was before the season started
so the Pats were only up to 1 Lombardi. Though sb36 had a prominent
display, the Pats only had a narrow strip in their team display. It was a right behind a very fat Packers display.
I thought that Sensurround theater was alot of fun, too.
They showed various clips of different teams through out the 01
season. I had never saw these clips anywhere else. No Pats though until the end. Glorious ending.There tears in my eyes.
Recommend a trip there to any NFL fan.
Happy for you that you made it, PFiVa.

I went about a year ago. There should be a thread around here with all the pics. I agree though, it is not as overglamorized as i thought it would be...

GREAT post..never have made it there..but I am glad it's not glitzed over...THAT is always good to know,,,

I was there back in 2004 when the Patriots were in Cleveland to play the Browns. Obviously, the place was packed... with Patriots fans. Then again, when the game started the stadium was probably 10-20% Patriots fans, at least.

There was plenty of Pats memorobilia, of course -- until you get to the busts ;) [snip]
You mean Bethel Johnson, Ken Sims, Chris Canty and Sedrick Shaw aren't in the Hall of Fame? :bricks:

They might be but the glare from the Hart Lee Dykes exhibit might have got in my eyes.

I went a few years ago for the h.o.f. week/game between san fran, and the pats. the inductions were a little long, and it rained like hell, but overall, a great time. i would recommend going during that week. good experience. Be sure to get your hotel res EARLY.lol. Canton is kinda lacking hotels. The best part is just walking around the h.o.f. , and then suddenly you find yourself face to face with Otto Graham. That's what happened to me anyway:D. That's the great thing about going during induction week, cause all the h.o.famers are walking around, and you can walk right up, and talk to them. very cool. btw, if you don't know who Otto is, please learn the history of football:cool:

PFnV

Did you see the display honoring the All time AFL team?

There are two Patriots on it. Nick Buoniconti is one. Can you guess the other?

At the 2000 HOF game we sat next to Lonnie Paxton's parents when he was a rookie. That was early in pre season so no one had a feel of how he would do. It was iteresting talking with the parents of a long shot at such postion as long snapper. I've always followed his career with a little more interest because of that.

Did you see the display honoring the All time AFL team?

There are two Patriots on it. Nick Buoniconti is one. Can you guess the other?

Nick probably got in as a result of the Dolphind, more than the Patriots. As for the second member, I'd probably go for Gino C. as K/R or Houston Antwine as a DE.........

I actually went a couple of years ago when Dan Marino went into the Hall of Fame. Actually saw the guy go in. I believe I was the only Pats fan there. But yeah, Marino got a sea of Dolphin fans to come and watch him get elected. Dwarfed the San Fran crowd there for Steve Young. The one thing I remember about the ceremony were some drunk Steelers fans that shouted "YOU SHOULDA BEEN A STEELA" in the middle of Marino's speech. So loud that it cut Marino off and you could almost hear the air come out of his nose as he snickered.

Other than the ceremony, I do agree that the HOF was not glitzed over at all. The Pats section is nice. The Jets one is even better since the only thing that's a constant in that section is a Super Bowl story that's over 40 years old. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes