PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Visit to Murphy's (warning: long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there as well...sitting with a group of 7 at the first table in front of the flat screen tv near the bar. After a first down, the guy yells, "Thaaaat's another Patriots..." and everyone else yells, "FIRST DOWN!"

Good food, good atmosphere...great place to catch a pats game.

1) Good question. The 4:00 games upcoming will likely be televised in Baltimore, so I probably won't go to Murphy's to watch them...unless I can come up with a good excuse.

2) My brother-in-law in Charlottesville wants to go to the game, but I don't know how we can score tickets; maybe SROs?

Got mine in July... 7/26 to be exact. It was the day they went on sale from MBT, and of course, I didn't get one from the stadium. Next stop: stubhub et al, where I ended up almost 4 bills lighter for two seats, upper deck, around the 20 (plus "fees" whatever that means.) Knew I was getting ripped off, but the Pats don't come within spitting range of me that often, so screw it.

Anyway... stub hub still has them, just looked. Mainly end zone, corner, etc. They just aren't going cheap.

Oh the tragedy of rooting for a team people want to watch!

PFnV

So the wind affects Ghosts kickoffs but not Hanson's punts?

I don't think the wind affected Gost's KOs or Hanson's punts; it didn't seem to affect Dawson's KOs or Player's punts. Gost and - especially - Hanson were just weak yesterday. Hanson needs to go.

i live in alexandria, deffinitly didnt know there were any patriots hangouts around here, might have to go and check it out next week. anyone who lives in this area knows that there are tons of "those" kinds of red sox fans, who are red sox and then cowboys or redskins fans, so i dont know many pats fans around.

Last edited:
Want to try to get a Patsfans table together this Sunday?

I live in DC and I went to Murphy's one night during the summer but I forgot I saw all the Pats stuff everywhere. I usually go to Buffalo Billiards in Dupont which is technically a Red Sox bar (like Rhinos in Gtown) but it is huge and has a projection screen designated to each game simultaneously which is great. The Pats fans all tend to gather around the Pats game so it's cool but sometimes the setup isn't great because the Pats game is considered crappy (i.e. onesided) so the last time I went (Buffalo) it was the game in the corner and there wasn't much seating so we all spilled out in front of the Eagles game. And there's nothing worse than obscuring a philly fans' view. what an obnoxious bunch of a holes. If their city ever won anything they would easily be the most hated people in America (they might be anyway). Anyway, I'm wondering if it's worth the commute all the way to King Street instead of going to Buffalo Billiards?

I don't know if I can "escape" two weeks in a row, but that sounds like a good idea. Maybe someone can start a thread by the end of the week, so that those who plan on going can gather a general head count.

I might be down for that, Murphys is pretty much a 5 minute drive down the GW Parkway for me so its not to big of a deal to get there.

i live in alexandria, deffinitly didnt know there were any patriots hangouts around here, might have to go and check it out next week. anyone who lives in this area knows that there are tons of "those" kinds of red sox fans, who are red sox and then cowboys or redskins fans, so i dont know many pats fans around.

Again, I live in Alexandria, and I'm here to tell you, New England sports fans are EVERYWHERE around here. It's awesome!

1) Good question. The 4:00 games upcoming will likely be televised in Baltimore, so I probably won't go to Murphy's to watch them...unless I can come up with a good excuse.

2) My brother-in-law in Charlottesville wants to go to the game, but I don't know how we can score tickets; maybe SROs?

I'm from c'ville. On days that the Pats are not on TV go to a place called First Place Grill on Emmet. They always show the pats and there is usually about 5-10 of us around. They will show 4 games on the bigscreens and you pick the sound @ the table. We are usually outnumbered by Steeler fans, but its all good.
24 oz Corona's are $4, and the prime rib rocks :)

Last edited:
I tailgated with Murphy’s crew a few years ago at fedex field. Sh!tty game and sh!tty stadium, but good crew and good tailgate.

Also - anybody else from 'round these parts going to the Baltimore game on 12/3?
PFnV

Yes --- glad you asked! I don't know Baltimore well and will be going alone, so let me know if there's a good place to meet up for crab cakes (or something less overrated) before the game.

I scooped up my ticket (upper deck 5 or -5 yardline) back in May, I think, on Stubhub, when you could still get one for $160. Same ticket today tends to be $250+, but anyone who wants to go can get one (or four).

P.S. I live 2 hours from Murphy's and plan to get there one of these days, just not sure when.

Last edited:
Okay... when it gets closer to Dec. 3rd we'll have to figure out a pre-game chow hall. I only know Baltimore by the Inner Harbor and some very vague memories of Fell's Point (if the memories are sharp, you weren't really there, they say...) But I'm thinking we cough up the sheckels to eat/drink close to the game, piss as much as we can prior to, then watch the Ravens get humiliated. (so far, the plan for my sign is Even Score? Quoth Poe, Nevermore!.... along with a big Flying Elvis.

If you could identify my remains it will be helpful to my family.

PFnV

Hey 1962 & Biffman, here's a pic that might jog your memory...

redskins3_008.jpg

2003 Pats @ Skins - awesome tailgate, shame about the game.

FYI, for those wondering, the upstairs to the pub typically opens 1 hour prior to game time (even for 4:15 starts). Been going to Murphy's myself since 1995 (hence the name), always a great time. Hey, throwback day is 10/28. the Redskins game. Everybody wears red and old Pat Patriot gear.

But I'm thinking we cough up the sheckels to eat/drink close to the game, piss as much as we can prior to, then watch the Ravens get humiliated. (so far, the plan for my sign is Even Score? Quoth Poe, Nevermore!.... along with a big Flying Elvis.
PFnV

Excellent. I'd be honored to help you tap a Cask of Amontillado. Ravens fans will be subjected to the Pats and the Pendulum.

I'm from c'ville. On days that the Pats are not on TV go to a place called First Place Grill on Emmet. They always show the pats and there is usually about 5-10 of us around. They will show 4 games on the bigscreens and you pick the sound @ the table. We are usually outnumbered by Steeler fans, but its all good.

I'm from C'Ville, too. Charlottesville High class of '76. You?

And that's wild about First Place Grill - I'll try and be in town visiting my folks on a Sunday and get down there.

Excellent. I'd be honored to help you tap a Cask of Amontillado. Ravens fans will be subjected to the Pats and the Pendulum.

And the Fall of the House of Boller.

I'm from C'Ville, too. Charlottesville High class of '76. You?

And that's wild about First Place Grill - I'll try and be in town visiting my folks on a Sunday and get down there.

Transplant from Canada, arrived in 99. First Place is the old Damon's across from Kroger on Hydraulic.

The next time during the season that we spend the weekend at Charlottesville, I'll suggest to my brother-in-law that we take off to watch the game at the First Place, while the wife and her sister watch the kids. Hope they won't mind.

Hey 1962 & Biffman, here's a pic that might jog your memory...

redskins3_008.jpg

2003 Pats @ Skins - awesome tailgate, shame about the game.

Yup. Great time. Thanks for having us there. I have to get to the tailgate at the bills' game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back