PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Visit to Murphy's (warning: long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain stone

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I was resigned to watch yesterday's game at either the Tir Na nOg or ESPNZone (both at the Inner Harbor), or perhaps not at all. The wife suddenly tells me that she wants to take the 2 kiddies to breakfast and then later to have haircuts, herself included. She also wanted to go to work at the Med Center for an hour or two, and the kids could play on the computers while they waited.

Sensing an opportunity, I asked if I could drive to Alexandria VA to watch the game at this Irish restaurant called Murphy's, at which a lot of Pats fans gather. We found the location on Google Maps, and saw that it was only 60 miles away, almost all of which were highway miles.

We all left the apartment after 10:30; I drove down the B-W Parkway (MD-295), which becomes I-295 inside the Beltway. I figured that I-95 & 495 would be too congested because of the Redskins game. The parkway is a nicely scenic road, though only two lanes wide. The driving was steady and accident-free, all the way to my exit. I wouldn't want to commute there on weekdays, however.

Elapsed time was just over an hour; it would have been slightly less, except that I had to drive around a couple of blocks to find a parking space. By the time I arrived at Murphy's, it was not even noon yet. The ground floor is the restaurant; I headed upstairs. People were already sitting in front of the giant- and I do mean giant -screen television, so I grabbed a chair at the bar, near the flat-screen TV up and at the corner.

I ordered the Irish breakfast: bangers, bacon, eggs, potatoes and bisciut. Dig it. By kickoff time, all the barstools, tables and chairs were taken, and people were standing around the televisions. We all cheered when the cameras showed BB, Pats players, Romeo and Willie Mac. Lots of folks were wearing NEP jerseys. It was nice to be in that atmosphere again. Whenever the NEP would gain a first down, someone would say: "New England Patriots?" and the rest would say: "First Down." After a TD, we sang Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll song, then added at the end: "Jets Suck."

As for the details of the game, the general consensus was:

Sammy Morris > the 2005/06 Corey Dillon.

Not that we could hear well, but was any explanation given for Faulk's absense?

Maroney needs to be activated for Dallas. No excuses.

Watson's confidence is at an all-time high. He didn't even fumble the deep-seam pass, his curse from last season.

Stallworth should have caught the 3rd-down pass on the crossing pattern. He might have gone all the way. Still, it was good to see him continue to contribute, and his TD was awesome.

Hochstein filled in well for Koppen; no snap eff-ups, anyway. Perhaps the tape would show subtle lapses in execution, but to the naked eye at game speed, we thought he was all right.

TB definitely missed a couple of open targets; he also had a couple dropped, e.g.: Stallworth, and Heath Evans late in the 4th quarter.

The defense had steady pressure on Anderson, and turned up the heat when needed. We couldn't see it ourselves, but I've read that Jarvis was being held by Joe Thomas more than once.

We were very concerned when Adalius limped off the field near the end of the first half, and very happy to see him on the field in the 2nd half. Our 5 LBs need to stay healthy all season, because there is nothing - sadly, again - behind them.

There was a huge cheer when Rodney appeared on the field. His energy is contagious; he just needs to try to avoid the personal fouls. Tedy and Junior also feed/feel the crowd, and their activity and enthusiasm yesterday belie their ages.

The secondary generally avoided the big plays, and tightened-up on 3rd down; therefore, Cleveland couldn't sustain many time-consuming drives, which are Kryptonite to our LBs.
P.S.: why was Wes Welker returning KOs instead of Hobbs?

As for the things that need work:

TB eyeballs his targets, esp. Moss, too much. Whenever he sells play-action, or looks one way but throws another way, he almost always succeeds. Opponents will double-team Moss from now on, Tom. Don't force things, a la Lord Favre.

Probably due to Faulk's absense, the screen pass was used only once, if I recall, and that quite successfully (edit: for just 4 yards) - except for Neal's penalty. Don't forget the screen, Skippy.

Speaking of Skippy, the offensive execution in the 3rd quarter was truely offensive, and should be executed. Let me repeat: I hate empty backfield formations, esp. when you have a 2nd-half lead. There is minimum protection, and no RB about whom the defense should worry.
NEP's 3rd quarter = bad formations, bad play-calling, bad execution.
Edit: to be fair, one of those drives stalled because of Stallworth's offensive holding penalty.

Last, and certainly least, Chris Hanson must go. Now. He was so disgusting yesterday, that folks at Murphy's starting shouting: "I love Waltah." BB should have let Gostkowski try a 57-yard FG, or just attempt a 4th/5 conversion at Cleveland's 40, in the 3rd quarter.
Speaking of the Ghost, his KOs were unimpressive. Must have been the wind, or something.

To make a long story longer, I believe that any problems the NEP had yesterday are all correctable (except Hanson). A diet of humble pie, sprinkled with enough sugar, should be enough to sustain the folks in Foxborough this week.

As for Murphy's, it was all I had read it would be. Thanks, Pats 1, for the strong recommendation. I felt as if I were somewhere at Fanueil Hall, or at one of the bars near the Garden. Whenever there's a game that's not on local TV, you'll see me at Murphy's. With the wife's blessing, of course.

Faulk was in there. He ran a few balls and caught a few passes, if I remember right. He's just too valuable to waste in the waning minutes of the game, though. Let Kyle Eckel show what he can do.

I was resigned to watch yesterday's game at either the Tir Na nOg or ESPNZone (both at the Inner Harbor), or perhaps not at all. The wife suddenly tells me that she wants to take the 2 kiddies to breakfast and then later to have haircuts, herself included. She also wanted to go to work at the Med Center for an hour or two, and the kids could play on the computers while they waited.

Sensing an opportunity, I asked if I could drive to Alexandria VA to watch the game at this Irish restaurant called Murphy's, at which a lot of Pats fans gather. We found the location on Google Maps, and saw that it was only 60 miles away, almost all of which were highway miles.

We all left the apartment after 10:30; I drove down the B-W Parkway (MD-295), which becomes I-295 inside the Beltway. I figured that I-95 & 495 would be too congested because of the Redskins game. The parkway is a nicely scenic road, though only two lanes wide. The driving was steady and accident-free, all the way to my exit. I wouldn't want to commute there on weekdays, however.

Elapsed time was just over an hour; it would have been slightly less, except that I had to drive around a couple of blocks to find a parking space. By the time I arrived at Murphy's, it was not even noon yet. The ground floor is the restaurant; I headed upstairs. People were already sitting in front of the giant- and I do mean giant -screen television, so I grabbed a chair at the bar, near the flat-screen TV up and at the corner.

I ordered the Irish breakfast: bangers, bacon, eggs, potatoes and bisciut. Dig it. By kickoff time, all the barstools, tables and chairs were taken, and people were standing around the televisions. We all cheered when the cameras showed BB, Pats players, Romeo and Willie Mac. Lots of folks were wearing NEP jerseys. It was nice to be in that atmosphere again. Whenever the NEP would gain a first down, someone would say: "New England Patriots?" and the rest would say: "First Down." After a TD, we sang Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll song, then added at the end: "Jets Suck."

As for the details of the game, the general consensus was:

Sammy Morris > the 2005/06 Corey Dillon.

Not that we could hear well, but was any explanation given for Faulk's absense?

Maroney needs to be activated for Dallas. No excuses.

Watson's confidence is at an all-time high. He didn't even fumble the deep-seam pass, his curse from last season.

Stallworth should have caught the 3rd-down pass on the crossing pattern. He might have gone all the way. Still, it was good to see him continue to contribute, and his TD was awesome.

Hochstein filled in well for Koppen; no snap eff-ups, anyway. Perhaps the tape would show subtle lapses in execution, but to the naked eye at game speed, we thought he was all right.

TB definitely missed a couple of open targets; he also had a couple dropped, e.g.: Stallworth, and Heath Evans late in the 4th quarter.

The defense had steady pressure on Anderson, and turned up the heat when needed. We couldn't see it ourselves, but I've read that Jarvis was being held by Joe Thomas more than once.

We were very concerned when Adalius limped off the field near the end of the first half, and very happy to see him on the field in the 2nd half. Our 5 LBs need to stay healthy all season, because there is nothing - sadly, again - behind them.

There was a huge cheer when Rodney appeared on the field. His energy is contagious; he just needs to try to avoid the personal fouls. Tedy and Junior also feed/feel the crowd, and their activity and enthusiasm yesterday belie their ages.

The secondary generally avoided the big plays, and tightened-up on 3rd down; therefore, Cleveland couldn't sustain many time-consuming drives, which are Kryptonite to our LBs.
P.S.: why was Wes Welker returning KOs instead of Hobbs?

As for the things that need work:

TB eyeballs his targets, esp. Moss, too much. Whenever he sells play-action, or looks one way but throws another way, he almost always succeeds. Opponents will double-team Moss from now on, Tom. Don't force things, a la Lord Favre.

Probably due to Faulk's absense, the screen pass was used only once, if I recall, and that quite successfully (edit: for just 4 yards) - except for Neal's penalty. Don't forget the screen, Skippy.

Speaking of Skippy, the offensive execution in the 3rd quarter was truely offensive, and should be executed. Let me repeat: I hate empty backfield formations, esp. when you have a 2nd-half lead. There is minimum protection, and no RB about whom the defense should worry.
NEP's 3rd quarter = bad formations, bad play-calling, bad execution.
Edit: to be fair, one of those drives stalled because of Stallworth's offensive holding penalty.

Last, and certainly least, Chris Hanson must go. Now. He was so disgusting yesterday, that folks at Murphy's starting shouting: "I love Waltah." BB should have let Gostkowski try a 57-yard FG, or just attempt a 4th/5 conversion at Cleveland's 40, in the 3rd quarter.
Speaking of the Ghost, his KOs were unimpressive. Must have been the wind, or something.

To make a long story longer, I believe that any problems the NEP had yesterday are all correctable (except Hanson). A diet of humble pie, sprinkled with enough sugar, should be enough to sustain the folks in Foxborough this week.

As for Murphy's, it was all I had read it would be. Thanks, Pats 1, for the strong recommendation. I felt as if I were somewhere at Fanueil Hall, or at one of the bars near the Garden. Whenever there's a game that's not on local TV, you'll see me at Murphy's. With the wife's blessing, of course.

Great post! I live in Alexandria, and have been to Murhpy's 612 times. It feels like home! Glad you liked it as much as we all do!

Good to hear about Murphy's. I stopped by there for lunch this summer but the 2nd floor was closed so I could only peak through the door window. Look forward to being there on gameday at some point in the future.

The one time I went to Murphy's, the Pats got shut out by the Bills. As a result, I never went back. And since we won the SB that year, I never WILL go back.

The one time I went to Murphy's, the Pats got shut out by the Bills. As a result, I never went back. And since we won the SB that year, I never WILL go back.

Well, the Murphy crew wasn't there. That was the problem. The Murphy crew always makes the roadtrip to Buffalo, and that was a beautiful sunny day in the lots, and it ended miserably.

I'm actually going to be in Alexandria this week, would've loved to stay a little longer to catch the game there. I don't think the girlfriend's parents would like that. I'll have to catch the Dallas game in New York.

Faulk was in there. He ran a few balls and caught a few passes, if I remember right. He's just too valuable to waste in the waning minutes of the game, though. Let Kyle Eckel show what he can do.

According to Reiss, "When Kevin Faulk injured his right leg early in the 2nd quarter..."

Faulk only saw action on 7 of 70 snaps. When considering Maroney's dependability, I definitely hope that Kevin is good to go on Sunday.

I gotta get up there some time...its about 2 hours from my place.

According to Reiss, "When Kevin Faulk injured his right leg early in the 2nd quarter..."

Faulk only saw action on 7 of 70 snaps. When considering Maroney's dependability, I definitely hope that Kevin is good to go on Sunday.

Maybe my memory's faulty. That's strange, I thought he was in more often. Him and Sammy Morris are hard to tell apart.

Great post! I live in Alexandria, and have been to Murhpy's 612 times. It feels like home! Glad you liked it as much as we all do!

Thanks, '62. Were you watching the game on the giant screen, at the bar, or at the tables in the back?

As Moe Howard might ask, "Superstitious, eh?"

This was my first visit to Murphy's, too, and it won't be my last.

I was on the table directly to the right of the big screen, next to my 6'4" son, and across the table from my future son-in-law, who isn't a Pats fan and was doing electrical engineering homework problems.

I'm moving to DC and am SO glad to have found that place.

Two other things I forgot to mention:

The most excitement there came when Randall Gay scored his TD, at the same time that Ortiz and Ramirez were hitting back-to-back HRs on the small TV behind the bar. I can only imagine what the place must have felt like when the SBs were showing.

The bartender who served me - an Irish gent, Ken, if I recall correctly - was very nice. He even comped me a beer when he forgot that I had ordered one some minutes earlier. The two coca-colas I had before I drove home were on the house, as well. He was tipped generously.

Two other things I forgot to mention:

The most excitement there came when Randall Gay scored his TD, at the same time that Ortiz and Ramirez were hitting back-to-back HRs on the small TV behind the bar. I can only imagine what the place must have felt like when the SBs were showing.

The bartender who served me - an Irish gent, Ken, if I recall correctly - was very nice. He even comped me a beer when he forgot that I had ordered one some minutes earlier. The two coca-colas I had before I drove home were on the house, as well. He was tipped generously.

And, after every score, the patrons chant something together which ends with "Jets s**ck" which is pretty funny.

And, after every score, the patrons chant something together which ends with "Jets s**ck" which is pretty funny.

That was "Rock and Roll Part 2", same song played at the Razor, which preceded the "Jets Suck."

You guys must have arrived pretty early yesterday; by the time I walked upstairs just before noon, seats in front of the giant screen were already filled.

Okay, I live in Alexandria and STILL never go there... so I have a question:

If you go to see the Pats at 4:15, will it already be packed for the early games?

Also - anybody else from 'round these parts going to the Baltimore game on 12/3?

PFnV

I was there on Sunday as well (2nd visit) but I sat downstairs in the no smoking portion of the bar - because that was about the only tv where you coudl actually hear the tv announcers (soft but possible).

But I got there at 1255 and had no trouble getting seat at the bar; in fact I had empty seats to my left and right the whole game.

Thanks to Miguel who gave me directions. I just moved here and Murphys is where I'll be whenever I can & it isn't a real late game on all the channels at home anyway (MNF).

So the wind affects Ghosts kickoffs but not Hanson's punts?

Okay, I live in Alexandria and STILL never go there... so I have a question:

1) If you go to see the Pats at 4:15, will it already be packed for the early games?

2) Also - anybody else from 'round these parts going to the Baltimore game on 12/3?

PFnV

1) Good question. The 4:00 games upcoming will likely be televised in Baltimore, so I probably won't go to Murphy's to watch them...unless I can come up with a good excuse.

2) My brother-in-law in Charlottesville wants to go to the game, but I don't know how we can score tickets; maybe SROs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes