PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My training of Ben Volin continues :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borges is an excellent writer, which helps explain why two newspapers made the mistake of hiring or retaining him despite some of his terrible other attributes.

Absolute truth. When it comes to crafting a lede, Borges is a flat-out master of the craft. Too bad the whole "fair reportage" bit didn't come with the package.

the Globe has placed itself in a position where it has poor reporting for the region's #1 or #2 sports team

They're in a bad state now, no question. Though to be fair, they're victims of their own success given that their top writers keep getting poached by bigger outlets.

If I was a beat reporter in this town, I would pay Miguel a stipend to use his info and do cap work for me when I needed it.

I am being totally serious.

Miguel, go for it. John Henry owns the Globe and paid Bill James a bucket load of money to advise him and super-dink Tom Werner to look over Theo's shoulder to make sure he didn't screw up. He'll probably pay you much more to make sure Ben Volin doesn't embarrass him again like he did in that twitter post.

Powered By Bill James And Friends, The Red Sox Win (Another) Moneyball World Series | Forbes

When you're rich and famous, Miguel, remember the little people at PatsFans.com who made it all possible. And throw us a bone once in a while.

Reactions: Ian
uh...speak for yourself...I'm far from "little"....

Right now, the top Patriots writer in this town is Matt Chatham. If the Globe was smart, they would steal him away from the Herald. Unfortunately, he doesn't write daily and I don't think he wants to be more than a weekly columnist during the season. I hope he does a daily training camp report (although I doubt it).

Not much of a fan of Volin, although I think he has his moments.

Next week is the start when we start to really miss Bedard. No one broke down camp better than him.

The loss of Nick Underhill hurts as well. I really thought he picked up Bedard's slack last year and his Tuesday film analysis was really solid. So far Mark Daniels of the ProJo seems promising.

If I was a beat reporter in this town, I would pay Miguel a stipend to use his info and do cap work for me when I needed it.

I am being totally serious.

Thanks. I know that the Providence Journal's Mark Daniels visits and uses my cap pages. So does Tom Curran. Mike Reiss has asked me for assistance. Before his passing Dan Pires and I interacted a great deal.

A good number of the Patriots beat writers now follow me on Twitter but not Ben Volin, Jeff Howe, Karen Guregian, or Shalise Manza Young. The latter two are friends of mine on Facebook.

Thanks. I know that the Providence Journal's Mark Daniels visits and uses my cap pages. So does Tom Curran. Mike Reiss has asked me for assistance. Before his passing Dan Pires and I interacted a great deal.

A good number of the Patriots beat writers now follow me on Twitter but not Ben Volin, Jeff Howe, Karen Guregian, or Shalise Manza Young. The latter two are friends of mine on Facebook.
You're an excellent source of information and as far as I am concerned @Miguel, a must read author. You should explore all options available to you.

The loss of Nick Underhill hurts as well. I really thought he picked up Bedard's slack last year and his Tuesday film analysis was really solid. So far Mark Daniels of the ProJo seems promising.

I've found that Field Yates' work over at ESPN Boston has filled the post-Bedard void pretty nicely. His film breakdowns are really good.

Guessing Howe will add you at some point as will Manza Young. Guregian may take longer, but only because she hasn't gotten on the Twitter bandwagon, which is a shame because she's a good reporter. I'm still having a hard time getting comfortable with that medium as well from my own standpoint. Have to work on that I guess.

As for the Globe, their beat reporting is starting to improve and keep an eye on Erik Frenz. Great guy and a hard-worker and has decent analysis. As for Mark Daniels, he was great with the Herald and his addition to the Projo is massive there. They haven't had a relevant beat writer since Shalise left and Curran before her. As a lead guy now he's doing a great job of putting them back on the map. He's terrific, and it's great to see.

wish my ex-wife was as nice as you fellas...:(

6e52e1e4d6bd5b7504abfb6fd7960675.gif

wish my ex-wife was as nice as you fellas...:(

6e52e1e4d6bd5b7504abfb6fd7960675.gif

Thats funny, I just quoted Popeye to someone in a PM a few minutes ago.

And apropos of Olive Oyl, Bluto.. and large.. ;)

Last edited:
Just saw this looking at the twitter scroll

@BenVolin
Bucket list item achieved: Getting quoted in a Bob Ryan column http://bit.ly/1yNYtO6

So in addition to being a sub-par beat writer he is also a bit of a kiss ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes