PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Top Two Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'll get a lot of crap for this, I know, so don't feel bad :)

In the first round I see us taking DeMaco Ryans, LB. Yes he's too small but he's the same height as Bruschi and 10-15 pounds lighter so he may be able to beef up. And his speed isn't the greatest. But he has everything else to be the next Bruschi and I just think when it comes down to it Belichick is going to want him on his team.

In the second round I am expecting Greg Jennings. Deion Branch clone. End of story. He gives us good competion with Caldwell for playing time and a potential Branch replacement in the event that we don't get Deion signed. Branch and Jennings, going forward, would be a nice pair.

I haven't settled on anything beyond the first two picks yet - I'm working on that . . .

Sorry guy. If those were the two first picks I would be a very sad Nut indeed.

PATSNUTme said:
Sorry guy. If those were the two first picks I would be a very sad Nut indeed.
As I said, I wasn't expecting a lot of concurrence. I was actually anti Ryans for a while due to his size. But he has everything else. Toughness, leadership, solid tackling, technique. It's just a gut feeling that he's a guy Belichick will want, try to bulk up a little and have him paired with Tedy for a couple of years before becoming Tedy.

Jennings, I would kind of like to wait until 3a but he seems to be trending up quite a bit. Like Deion, I think he's perfect for our offense so I'm drafting him before I miss out.

Yeah, he's kind of like TB except much lighter and not that fast, so "maybe he can bulk up"? Do people usually get faster or slower when they bulk up?

So he's a first rounder? Are you kidding me? Sound like about a 4th rounder from where he's projected.

You could pick any of 20 linebackers and say the same thing about them.

BelichickFan said:
As I said, I wasn't expecting a lot of concurrence. I was actually anti Ryans for a while due to his size. But he has everything else. Toughness, leadership, solid tackling, technique. It's just a gut feeling that he's a guy Belichick will want, try to bulk up a little and have him paired with Tedy for a couple of years before becoming Tedy.

Jennings, I would kind of like to wait until 3a but he seems to be trending up quite a bit. Like Deion, I think he's perfect for our offense so I'm drafting him before I miss out.

This is the guy who, last year, said Lofa Tatupu was too small to play ILB. I really scored well on that one.

mcbee said:
So he's a first rounder? Are you kidding me? Sound like about a 4th rounder from where he's projected.
:confused:

Ryans will go in the 4th round in the same draft as Reggie Bush goes in the second round. The Patriots may not take him but he's not going lower than early second round.

BelichickFan said:
he's the same height as Bruschi and 10-15 pounds lighter so he may be able to beef up.
Aren't Bethel Johnson and Dan Klecko both about 5'9"?

I don't think because players are the same height they can get to the same weight, else Manute Bol at 7'6" would have played at more than 205#. He may be taller than Shaq, but no way was he going to bulk up as high.

spacecrime said:
Aren't Bethel Johnson and Dan Klecko both about 5'9"?

I don't think because players are the same height they can get to the same weight, else Manute Bol at 7'6" would have played at more than 205#. He may be taller than Shaq, but no way was he going to bulk up as high.

Bethel checks in at a sturdy 5'11"

and BelichickFan?

I zink you are zuffering from a zychosis

draft-insanity

Flying Fungi said:
I zink you are zuffering from a zychosis

draft-insanity
We shall see my friend, we shall see :)

BelichickFan said:
We shall see my friend, we shall see :)

its all good--I really dig your passion for this stuff :rocker:

spacecrime said:
I didn't mean that he definitely could, it's just not out of the question. I realize 236 is too light, it's just a gut feeling that Belichick's gonna want this guy.

This is from NFL Draft Scout, consider it an ad for their fine service :

"Has a well-built, compact frame with good muscle development, tight waist and excellent quickness...Smooth and flexible in reverse, showing the change of direction agility and lateral movement to string plays wide...Plays with natural instincts and very good field position (rarely caught out of position)...Uses his initial burst well to slip past blockers when attempting to plug the inside rush lanes...Best when operating in pursuit, as he is sudden closing on the ball and takes good angles working in space...Shows very good hand usage to mirror and reroute tight ends in the short area...Has enough speed to stay on the hip of the receiver on deep routes...Compensates for a lack of ideal size with good upper body strength...Knows how to use his hand extension to separate, shed and keep blockers from attacking his body...Sidesteps low blocks well, showing the balance to avoid trash while maintaining acceleration to the ball...Classic wrap-up tackler who explodes into ball carriers, driving hard with his legs to bring the opponent down...His ability to take angles in pursuit allows him to get to plays other linebackers can't make... Has the loose hips and foot speed to shadow receivers in man coverage and also is very alert to schemes, doing a nice job of handling the switch-off when operating in zone coverage...Does a very good job of tracking the ball in flight and changes directions instantly to redirect and attack the ball...Fluid in his pass drops and keeps his head on a swivel to maintain eye contact with the ball...Solid contributor on special teams, showing the make-up and desire to get down field and break up the wedge.

Could use at least another ten pounds of bulk on his frame...His lack of bulk will sometimes cause him to struggle shedding blocks when working in-line (gets engulfed by the larger linemen)...Not used much as a blitzer and can get caught up by inside trash, but shows the foot speed to close when given a free lane...Lacks natural hands for the interception (only one theft in his career), letting the ball absorb into his body rather than extend, pluck and snatch."

And don't foget the intangibles :

"A highly respected team leader and captain, Ryans has also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic All-Southeastern Conference three times. He was also the lone SEC representative to earn the 2005 Arthur Ashe Jr. Scholarship Award. . . . Still, for all of his football honors, he is most proud of making the Academic All-State team . . . Ryans also won the Lott Trophy (college defensive player of the year who has the biggest impact both on and off the field) and was a finalist for the Bednarik Award (symbolic as the Outstanding Defensive Player of the Year). He graduated in December, 2005 with a degree in Business Management (completed requirements for graduation after only seven semesters, earning 44 hours his last two semesters alone)."

That review was based on him playing outside in a 4-3. Are you projecting him as an inside guy in our 3-4??????

My top 2 picks

Round 1...DeAngelo Williams...This was a tough one because i still think 1 of Greenway and Carpenter will still be on the board, but to get a top 10 talent in Williams this late in the draft, we have to take him.

Round 2...Charles Gordon...IMO he is this years Ellis Hobbs, not getting the pub of some of the other CBs in this years draft but will end up being one of the best to come out. Played both offense and defense this past year, All big12 player..to get a player of Gordons ability is great value right here

Ochmed Jones said:
That review was based on him playing outside in a 4-3. Are you projecting him as an inside guy in our 3-4??????
I'm afraid I am. I know it's a bit of a stretch if he can't put on a solid 10 pounds, and I don't know if he has the frame to do it or not. Like I said, it's mostly a guy feeling that this is a player Belichick will emphasize his strengths. But for my plan he would have to be able to bulk up a little bit.

Picked this up off the *&^% message board :

Patriots | Team has met twice with Ryans
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 06:01:54 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the New England Patriots have met twice with Alabama LB DeMeco Ryans.

I know we've met with a lot of guys but Ryans has to interest Belichick with his intangibles, not to mention his play.

BelichickFan said:
In the second round I am expecting Greg Jennings. Deion Branch clone. End of story. He gives us good competion with Caldwell for playing time and a potential Branch replacement in the event that we don't get Deion signed. Branch and Jennings, going forward, would be a nice pair.

I haven't settled on anything beyond the first two picks yet - I'm working on that . . .

have you been reading my posts from the last two months

ive been talkin about jennings for a while
i really really hope the pats take him, i think this kid is gonna be one of the biggest steals of the draft

but, i think we could prob get him with our first third rder

I think my top two picks would be:

1. Bobby Carpenter
2. Richard Marshall

But i like where you are going with the WR in the second round...

My top 2 picks are..............drum roll please

# 21 Bobby Carpenter
#52 Best available WR........ unless we pick another FA WR which looks unlikely

I guess I have to say Carpenter/Greenway.
Then Marshall.

But there is no way we should pick one of those Speed burning, vertical recievers in the early rounds. A solid, tough, glue handed middle loving workhorse in the third or later, ok.

I've said this before, I'll say it again. Giving Brady a Moss/ TO type is like giving a funny car to Tony Stewart. Whats he supposed to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots