PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Top 100 with comments:

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Here is my Top 100 list for the draft. I am working on a Patriots scheme specific list as well, but wanted to get this out there to get some comments on.

TOP100 NAME POS. Comments:
1 Jadeveon Clowney DE/OLB Rare player, elite skills, disruption equals production
2 Jake Matthews OT Pro ready, good against run and pass, high FBI
3 Khalil Mack LB Can play inside or out, good in space, good blitzer, all around game is great
4 Sammy Watkins WR explosive, great hands, good route runner, nfl ready from day 1
5 Greg Robinson OT elite run blocker, raw pass blocker, unlimited potential, needs to improve his FBI
6 C.J. Mosley LB good, not great all around game, well rounded player who will start day 1 and play 10 years
7 Anthony Barr DE/OLB RAW, explosive pass rusher, needs to work on technique. Finesse player, needs to get tougher
8 Mike Evans WR Elite size, good speed and hands, needs work on route running. Loses speed in and out of cuts
9 Aaron Donald DL productive and disruptive interior d-lineman. Size could be a concern
10 Eric Ebron TE Best combo TE, good pass catcher and blocker, can be a mismatch nightmare. Off field issues
11 Dominique Easley DL Impressive interior pass rusher, elite hand movement and pass rush moves. Huge durability concerns.
12 Stephon Tuitt DL Rare size and athleticism. Think Richard Seymour. Production doesn’t match, durabilty concerns
13 Ryan Shazier LB Smaller LB with great speed and movement. Good in coverage and good blitzer. Can get washed out against run
14 Ha Ha Clinton Dix S Can play strong or free safety, willing tackler, has speed to cover large chunks of field. Play recognition not great
15 Kyle Fuller CB My #1 DB. Can play CB, S, and even some LB. Best tackling CB I have seen in years. Loses some speed in transition.
16 Taylor Lewan OT Tough nosed player with good, but not elite skills in both pass protection and run game. Off field issues
17 Odell Beckham WR good size and speed, amazing hands, and great route runner. Nothing elite about his game
18 Zack Martin OT/OG fundamentally sound, not great size or lateral movement but makes up for it with technique, short arms
19 Brandin Cooks WR elite speed, quick and fast, does not lose speed in and out of cuts. Needs route running work.
20 Louis Nix DL Mammoth man, stout against the run, requires double team. Vince Wilfork type. Not a threat as a pass rusher.
21 Darqueze Dennard CB press man CB with great ball skills, sticks to receiver, not elite speed
22 Jason Verrett CB elite speed for the position, tough guy with great play recognition. Size is a huge concern
23 Jimmie Ward FS Can play CB or FS, elite ball skills for the position, ok in run support, good speed. Needs to bulk up
24 Xavier Su'a Filo OG athletic guard with excellent lateral movement, can get to second level. Can get overpowered at times
25 RaShede Hageman DL Rare size even for the NFL. Flashes elite skills in pass and run game. Disappears to often, most get more consistent
26 Justin Gilbert CB taller CB with elite straightline speed. Excellent special teamer. Tight hips and transition are a concern
27 Teddy Bridgewater QB Smart, accurate thrower on short and intermediate routes. Good FBI. Size and arm strength need work
28 Calvin Pryor S Classic thumper at safety, true in the box SS. Liability in pass coverage and can be overaggressive
29 Joel Bitonio OT/OG Great footwork and lateral agility to thrive in a zone blocking system. Play any position on the line. Needs to get stronger
30 Kony Ealy DL a tweener with good pass rush skills. Not great in coverage. Could bulk up more and move inside.
31 Jeremy Hill RB Big RB with power, speed and vision. Not bad as a pass catcher. Major off field issues are a concern
32 Marqise Lee WR good all around player with good hands and burst after catch. Injuries and lack of production this year are concerning
33 Dee Ford DE/OLB Undersized guy with no true position, very good pass rusher and above average against run. Will have to learn to drop into coverage
34 Kelvin Benjamin WR Huge WR with long arms. Good, not great speed. Inconsistent hands and routes. Immaturuaty issues
35 Morgan Moses OT Huge sized guy who moves pretty well. RT only, but could be dominant there. Needs to work on leverage against smaller pass rusher
36 Marcus Smith DE/OLB Hybrid type with good speed and quickness. Very good in pass coverage and good pass rusher. Needs to improve against the run
37 Bradley Roby CB good size corner who flashes elite skills, but inconsistent. Footwork and transition speed need improvement.
38 Austin Sefarian-Jenkins TE Large TE with deceptive speed and good hands. Needs to improve blocking to be all around TE. Injuries are a concern
39 Blake Bortles QB Raw QB that has prototypical size for position. Good not great arm. Great outside of pocket. Has potential to be really good
40 Jeremiah Attaochu DE/OLB Has size you look for in DE/OLB. Can get after the passer. Needs to work on dropping into coverage. Loses too much speed on cuts
41 Timmy Jernigan DL Smaller DL with good, not great interior pass rush. Needs to get stronger and more consistent against the run
42 Carlos Hyde RB Large man with power when running, better than expected hands. Takes time to get up to speed, which is a concern
43 Jace Amaro TE True "joker" TE that plays all over. Plays faster than timed speed indicates. Will be great in right system.
44 Marcus Martin OC A little undersized, but great lateral movement for position. Athletic, but needs to bulk up to play against bigger DT
45 Demarcus Lawrence DE/OLB Good at a lot of things, not great at any. Tough, blue collar guy who gets job done. Tweener who either needs to bulk up or improve coverage
46 Scott Chrichton DE/OLB Bull in china shop, plays with reckless abandon. Good pass rusher and stout against run, needs to improve his coverage skills.
47 Kyle Van Noy LB Fluid player that does everything. Can cover, can rush the passer. Lacks bulk to hold up in NFL, needs to get stronger
48 Troy Niklaus TE Underused TE in college, best yet to come. Massive with suprising athleticism. Lacks elite speed. Elite blocker, needs to work on route running
49 Deonne Buchanon SS Athletic freak with great size speed combo for position. More of a in the box SS thumper type. Takes bad angles in coverage.
50 Antonio Richardson OT Huge man with size, speed and power. Suprizingly athletic for his size. Technique needs work, can get bull rushed

51 Zack Mettenberger QB Best passer in the draft, good pocket awareness and anticipation. Not mobile, injuries and off field issues a concern
52 Telvin Smith LB Smaller coverage linebacker that moves like a DB but hits like a LB. Frame may not support getting any bigger, so that is a concern
53 Bashaud Breeland CB Smooth athlete with good hip transition in and out of breaks. Cover corner, liabilty as a tackler in run support
54 Trai Turner OG Wide bodied, long armed guard with suprising quickness to get to 2nd level. Lacks lateral quickness
55 Jarvis Landry WR big framed WR who uses his body well to shield off defenders. Lacks speed and movement skills. Think Anquon Bolden
56 Martavis Bryant WR Has great size, speed and hands. Route running is raw. Underused with elite teamates around him at same position
57 Cyrus Kouandjio OT Large man with power, may need to play RT as his lateral agility and footwork get better. Long term LT? Injury issues
58 Jack Mewhort OT Good size and strenght, probably a RT. Lacks overall athleticsm
59 Derek Carr QB Great arm, accurate thrower. Very productive. Deep ball needs work. Gets happy feet if pocket gets dirty
60 Jimmy Garoppolo QB smart, great footwork, better than advertised arm. Play recognition and anticipation need to improve to be a good QB in the NFL
61 Caraun Reid DL Stout DT with suprising athleticsm, can disrupt the QB from the middle. Played against lesser competiion, so how will he hold up in the NFL
62 Lamarcus Joyner CB/S tenacious ballhawk who plays bigger than he is. Good ball skills and tackler. Size is a major concern
63 Johnny Manziel QB polarizing figure. Not sized for the position. Playmaker, does not allow plays to develop before free lancing. Issues, but he wins.
64 Will Sutton DL Undersized DT who put on weight to play bigger, but lost his athleticism. Tweener who needs to lose the weight and just be a pass rusher
65 Kevin Pierre Louis LB/S Another athletic LB that moves well in coverage but lacks size and bulk to hold up against the run. May move to Safety
66 Gabe Jackson OG Dominant phone booth type guard who is big and moves well. Loses his athleticsm when trying to block at the 2nd level
67 Billy Turner OT Small school guy who is tough and smart. Needs to work on technique and bulk up his lower half, but could be a very good player
68 Jordan Matthews WR Good sized WR with great hands and work ethic, won't wow you with his speed
69 CJ Fiedorowicz TE Blue collar TE who was vastly underused in college. Best yet to come? Pro ready blocker, needs development in passing game
70 Pierre Desir CB Small school guy with great size for the position. Needs refinement on his technique
71 Brandon Thomas OT/OG Had him at 38 until last week when he tore his ACL.
72 Weston Richburg OC Powerful center who can handle larger DT, lateral movement could be better
73 Bishop Sankey RB Smaller framed back who may not be a 3 down back, but has the tools to be a major contibutor to a team
74 Terrance Brooks FS FS who can play some corner, tough and a ballhawk. Would rather go for the big hit than the solid tackle
75 Marcus Roberson CB Good size and speed, aggressive CB. Loses technique and needs to work on hand placement or he will be flagged a lot. Injury issues
76 Davante Adams WR good size and bulk, uses his body well, great hands. Lacks ideal speed
77 Donte Moncrief WR quicker than fast, good route runner, explosive in and out of cuts. Timed speed at combine does not show up on tape
78 Kareem Martin DL Big body, long arms, explosive first step. Loses quickness when he changes direction
79 Trent Murphy DE/OLB
80 David Yankey OC
81 Chris Borland LB
82 Ego Ferguson DL
83 Tre Mason RB
84 DaQuan Jones DL
85 Anthony Johnson DL
86 Jaylen Watkins CB The unhearlded CB from Florida, he may end up the best, only one year at the position, so very raw, but with potential
87 Cyril Richardson OG
88 Trevor Reilly DE/OLB Ideal size for the position, possess good speed and athleticism, but lacks initial quickness off the snap. Needs to play tougher
89 Keith McGill CB extremely tall, but very fluid CB for his size. Not a strong tackler in the run game and is a little too handsy
90 Allen Robinson WR large framed WR with decent, not great speed. Uses body well to get open. Body catches too many balls
91 Lache Seastrunk RB
92 Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB long, strong corner with decent movement skills. Tight hips does make it tough for him to cover the speedier type recievers
93 AJ McCarron QB does not possess elite traits, but very good all around. Winner in college. Some weird off season stuff is concerning
94 Kelcy Quarles DL
95 Yawin Smallwood LB
96 Antone Exum CB/S Good size and strength, very fluid in his backpedal and turn. Can lose the ball when its in the air. Injuries are a concern
97 Jordan Tripp LB good size, can play inside or out. Excellent awareness and solid tackler
98 Chris Smith
99 Paul Richardson WR ultra fast, can get behind the defense. Has good hands. Thin framed and injuries are a concern

Fantastic list, well done. Two major points after a first quick look:

1. Love that you have Fuller and Ward so high, I can't fault you there.

2. I'm not sure I'd rank Tuitt and Easley that high, even though I'm a Tuitt fan.

Looking forward to your Patriot version.

Tuitt is way too high (as is Easley). His tape is just underwhelming.

I love your ranking for Verrett and Attaochu. Two of my favourite players

I think Jernigan deserves to be higher. Real good player.

I also really like Jaylen Watkins.

Thanks for the replies. I always think I am creating posts that would get lots of replies and good discussion going, but I must be doing something wrong.

good list. we all have opinions on guys. I would loveeeee to see Tuitt here but he's not #15 on my big board. but love to see you have Marcus Smith higher than most, I like his motor. Overall good effort and ranks love to see all the opinions of players

Very interesting post. You definitely did your own thing which i respect. Obviously we will have different value on players but i like what you did here.

I will do the opposite of some posters here an talk about the guys i think you ranked too low.

46 Scott Chrichton (I would put him about 35 if Ealy goes early he might even slip into the first
57 Cyrus Kouandjio - One of the OTs getting pushed down just cause other guys are being moved up. His value has not changed to me... just other guys are getting the love they deserved. I'd put him at 40.
59 Derek Carr - I have no love for any of the QBs in this draft. However Carr to me can be an average QB. That should move him to about 45 and he will go a lot higher just cause he is a QB.
72 Weston Richburg - My C binkie. Move him up to about 55.
76 Davante Adams - One of my fav round 2 WRs. Move him up to about 55 as well
80 David Yankey - Same as Cyrus - Move him up to about 65
90 Allen Robinson WR - Maybe your biggiest snub. Move him up to about 40. I know he lacks some measurables but he is a gamer on top.

Not gonna talk about guys you didn't list but i think those ones need more love.

Dominique Easley #11....

Sorry. This guy is WAY overrated here. #11? Seriously? I respect the effort you put into this, but I stopped reading right there at #11.

Even if he wasn't coming off 2 blown out knees and missed time in College, he still wouldn't be top 20.

He's undersized and undisciplined.

Dominique Easley #11....

Sorry. This guy is WAY overrated here. #11? Seriously? I respect the effort you put into this, but I stopped reading right there at #11.

Even if he wasn't coming off 2 blown out knees and missed time in College, he still wouldn't be top 20.

He's undersized and undisciplined.

Now that is the kind of hate I am looking for! Just kidding, to each his own. I will say that I might have had some copy/paste issues with Tuitt, I swear I had him lower but I stick with my ranking of Easley. The Patriots desperately need to add pass rush from the interior, and Easley has a chance to be a huge disruptor from the middle.

He also has a huge chance of never becoming a starter in the NFL.

Last edited:
Don't think Kevin Pierre-Louis will be drafted anywhere near the top 100. He lacked production at BC and despite the outstanding physical ability and great combine numbers, he won't be drafted any earlier than 5th or 6th roumd.

Don't think Kevin Pierre-Louis will be drafted anywhere near the top 100. He lacked production at BC and despite the outstanding physical ability and great combine numbers, he won't be drafted any earlier than 5th or 6th roumd.

That was a real head scratcher for me too, no production to match those incredible measurables.

I think KPL is one of those guys that a coaching staff sees the measurables and says they can make him into a great player. His upside is what puts him there.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back