PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My thoughts on what positions the Patriots should draft.

It depends of course on who the FAs are as need positions get priority but are not automatic.

I'd focus for on my top 4 picks OT, DE, CB and LB

I assume Vollmer is gone and even though Cannon has played well i like him as a backup more then a starter. Flemming surprisingly has filled in well as the emergency guy so i like the #4 OT okay.

At DE I think the Pats need to get younger period. I don't think all of Sheard, Long and Nink come back. They could but unlikely and of course id prefer to keep Sheard the most.

At CB the Pats still need a good 3rd CB. Though it is early if i had to guess Cyrus Jones looks like a bust to me. Maybe he won't be but he just seems to get rattled too easily. Coleman to me is not a solution as a long term 3rd and I assume Ryan will be gone as well.

At LB I assume one of Collins/Hightower is gone. If not we can punt on this spot of course and I'd go look at Safety or DT.

Terrific article Mike. I admire the way that your punches have not been pulled, and I agree with your
assessments of the various position groups.
My priorities, like yours, haven't changed much since before the draft:
Left Tackle,
Right Tackle (but not a blob like Cannon, Fleming or Waddle),
Power Back,
Coverage-Expanding WR (preferably with size),
3-Tech DT,
Pass-Rushing DE,
Athletic Coverage LB,
Outside CB (preferably with size)...

…not necessarily in that order of importance.

The other position groups - C/G, HalfBack, Move TE, Power TE, DT/NT, MLB, FS, SS - could possibly be
addressed through lower-round picks or free agency.

I'm moving CB towards the top of my list and dropping RT. Cannon and Fleming have done pretty well so far although I'm not sure they've been completely tested yet.

I'm locking up 54/91 and Sheard if he plays the way I think he's too when fully healthy.

Bennett?

I'm looking CB, interior pass rusher, OT in the first 2 rounds.

I'll take a OT late, but I'm not seeing a true 1st rounder. Some very talented CB and rushers though.

Terrific article Mike. I admire the way that your punches have not been pulled, and I agree with your
assessments of the various position groups.
My priorities, like yours, haven't changed much since before the draft:
Left Tackle,
Right Tackle (but not a blob like Cannon, Fleming or Waddle),
Power Back,
Coverage-Expanding WR (preferably with size),
3-Tech DT,
Pass-Rushing DE,
Athletic Coverage LB,
Outside CB (preferably with size)...

…not necessarily in that order of importance.

The other position groups - C/G, HalfBack, Move TE, Power TE, DT/NT, MLB, FS, SS - could possibly be
addressed through lower-round picks or free agency.
Thank you for the kind words and your thoughts.

Are there any players I should look for in particular? Any bunnies jumping out to anyone?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

OT, RB, slot WR, tight end, LB, CB
* Let Ryan. Vollmer walk
* Bring Hightower, Bennett, Long, Harmon back

* Let Ryan. Vollmer walk

I really do not see bb getting too worked up if we do not resign any of our impending free agents.

I think he can find players to replace all of them, even Hightower.

* Let Ryan. Vollmer walk
has long done anything to warrant coming back? Also as much as it would be nice to have harmon back he is gonna get starter money somewhere

I really do not see bb getting too worked up if we do not resign any of our impending free agents.

I think he can find players to replace all of them, even Hightower.
He really likes Hightower, i wouldnt be shocked if they tag him or get a last second deal done like with DMac

He really likes Hightower, i wouldnt be shocked if they tag him or get a last second deal done like with DMac

I would love to see bb retain Hightower, even with a tag if need be.

But bb sees things differently than we do and because of that, I am not holding my breath on any contracts, except for butler.

I was watching the KC-DEN game yesterday and realized that dontari Poe is a free agent after this season. What do you guys think of the possibility of bb signing him. He's a big body d.tackle that can move. Pairing him with Malcolm brown would be some major beef in the middle. I'm still upset that we missed out on nick fairley this offseason, I think he would of been a good fit. But what are your guys thought on Poe?

I was watching the KC-DEN game yesterday and realized that dontari Poe is a free agent after this season. What do you guys think of the possibility of bb signing him. He's a big body d.tackle that can move. Pairing him with Malcolm brown would be some major beef in the middle. I'm still upset that we missed out on nick fairley this offseason, I think he would of been a good fit. But what are your guys thought on Poe?

I'm sure most of the draft-niks would love to have him considering most watched and followed him closely throughout the process.

It'll be interesting to see what he commands.

Poes big question will be health. When he was at his peak, he was a devastating force inside, similarly to wilfork. But, he's also been banged up so much of his career, it's hard to know what he can really bring consistently.

Given the cost to bring him in (8+ a year) I would probably stick with branch or take a top swing in the draft.

Right now my top needs are DE, LB & CB

I think you need help at all 3 levels of defense with young fast play makers. My first pick is the DE/pass rusher. My 2nd in a CB and my 3rd is a LB if one fits otherwise get a DT.

I don't look to spend any high draft capital on offense. Your OL is okay but could use a depth piece. WR/TE is fine. RB is passable. Focus on getting the D some talent.

Depends on price but sure I would not dislike Poe and we have the money to spend.

Right now my top needs are DE, LB & CB

I think you need help at all 3 levels of defense with young fast play makers. My first pick is the DE/pass rusher. My 2nd in a CB and my 3rd is a LB if one fits otherwise get a DT.

I don't look to spend any high draft capital on offense. Your OL is okay but could use a depth piece. WR/TE is fine. RB is passable. Focus on getting the D some talent.

I'm almost positive I'd go pass rush (edge/interior) or CB first. Too much talent there and a big need.

QB's and T's will get over drafted like they always do and push some guys down to us.

Im torn on trading Garoppolo? I think him and Carr are very similar witht the same ceiling. Same time we have the goat looking like an MVP still.

This is definitely a great draft to have multiple picks in rounds 2-3.

Im torn on trading Garoppolo? I think him and Carr are very similar witht the same ceiling. Same time we have the goat looking like an MVP still.

This is definitely a great draft to have multiple picks in rounds 2-3.

The Hot Young QB Emporium will be open for business, but I don't think BB will be holding a start-of-FA fire sale.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back