PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My thoughts on McGinest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been said, I just got off of work and didn't want to read everything on the McGinest subject.

I hate to lose McGinest. He's one of my favorite players and a guy that's impossible to hate. However, I'm not upset that he wasn't re-signed.

It's great to think that while McGinest might have had some high salary cap numbers a couple times in his career here, IMO he always earned it. It's smart to let him go now before he doesn't.

Think about Troy Brown last season. He had the $5 million cap hit and we cut him. A lot of people were outraged, saying we should have paid him the money as a reward for playing both ways in 2004. We re-signed him to a modest contract. He wasn't remotely close to being worth $5 million last season. It would have been a waste.

We as fans see people like Brett Favre, Emmitt Smith, etc., guys that have had great careers but played/still play longer than they really should. We like seeing people retire at their peak, ala John Elway, it sucks watching legends struggle through their last years.

What's wrong with the Patriots front office being the same way? There's nothing wrong with letting players go before they have nothing left.

I think McGinest still has something left and I think he'll be a solid player in Cleveland. But we have to let players go sometime, and I'd rather see them leave on a high note rather than being inactive for most of the season because they just don't have it anymore.

You're Crazy.

Crazy Patriot Guy said:
I think McGinest still has something left and I think he'll be a solid player in Cleveland. But we have to let players go sometime, and I'd rather see them leave on a high note rather than being inactive for most of the season because they just don't have it anymore.

I agree totally CPG

I agree here, maintaining a winning franchise in the salary cap era requires that (tough) choices be made.

I hate to see Willie Mac leave, but I trust that Belipoli have a plan for the development of the roster.

BY Sept I expect to see a SB contender on the field.

Willie was a great part of the team. His contributions throughout his 12 years here have been tremendous in getting us 3 superbowl rings. It must have been difficult to let him go especially since he was the first draftee of the Kraft era. But no matter how great an individual player was, rooting for the team is more important for me. We all have our favorite players. For some it's Brady, others Bruschi, and for others it was McGinest. One thing that is certain however is that we all have one favorite team. Let's keep that in mind.

hmmmm,........

We all hate to see our favorite rock star grow old. We still love them but our memories of the past keep them from being what they are in reality, old rock stars. Can they still sing; yes. Can they still please us; yes. Can anyone fill thier place in our eyes; No. Can they still perform like they did in the past; NO. The last no is what we all have to accept. Transition, rebiuld, it's all the same. We need new performers to keep us up to date. Live in the past or move on to the future, it's a hard thing but necessary to stay on or near the top. My thoughts: OLB: Mike and Colvin.! ILB Teddy and Monty.!
Yes Monty. I saw him mid way through the season hold his position. He didn't run around but held his position and ultimately made the tackle for no or minimal gain. That showed he is learning the position. If he is dedicated we may just have another winner. TC will tell us. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy all the spending by the also rans trying to CREATE a SB contender.
Btw, I'm a long time Pats fan. If you think this is "DOOM and GLOOM" you should have been a fan 40 yrs ago.? :eek: !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back