PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts From Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or we can always look on PFF... oh wait...

How good was Brady's mobility and his arm today! His throws had some of the purest spirals and max velocity you'll see.

He's back and he's back with a bang.

Lost in all this is the play of Vollmer.

How many noticed the number of opponents laying on the ground while he was upright. He's starting to look like an OL version of Richard Seymour. This includes his on field demeanor as well. He was just dominate. Review the game if you can but he is truely a Seaßeast.

Man, you got me. I have been sitting here for five minutes trying to figure out who Ahern is and when we picked him up.

Then it hit me. My bad.

Be easy bro, all criticisms are welcome on my threads. No need for detraction on these, just civil debate.

Jay, are you suggesting that they took their foot's off the pedal in the second half in order to hide some of our new defensive schemes? Just trying to clarify.

Jay, are you suggesting that they took their foot's off the pedal in the second half in order to hide some of our new defensive schemes? Just trying to clarify.

Sure am man. Save for a few minor adjustments, it seemed pretty clear that they knew the lead was enough to conserve tape. There's no doubt in my mind that BB thinks that this is his hand picked group (save for the DL).

Last edited:
Great thread.

I can see a Gronk jersey in my future.

If you have the time I'd like you to elaborate more on what you thought of the two corners, McCourty and Butler. I saw a few good plays by both of them, I think that McCourty got saved at times by the fact that TO lacks the explosive athleticism he once had.

Sure am man. Save for a few minor adjustments, it seemed pretty clear that they knew the lead was enough to conserve tape. There's no doubt in my mind that BB thinks that this is his hand picked group (save for the DL).

I don't want to pee in the Cheerios, Jay, especially because I wasn't able to watch the game as closely as I'd have liked (was working at the same time), but I saw a couple of things that I'd like your take on. If you saw it differently than I did, I'd love to know it.

1) They seemed to be giving Connolly a lot of help early on, which will be tougher to do against teams like the Jets and Ravens.

2.) The ends didn't really hold up against the run. There was a lot of blitzing, which helped with the numbers and covered for their struggles. This became more obvious in the second half, when the Patriots pulled back on the blitzing a bit in favor of clock killing, and the Bengals were able to rip off some nice runs.

Lost in all this is the play of Vollmer.

How many noticed the number of opponents laying on the ground while he was upright. He's starting to look like an OL version of Richard Seymour. This includes his on field demeanor as well. He was just dominate. Review the game if you can but he is truely a Seaßeast.

A Seasseast? :confused:

;)

a Seabeast...c'mon

<insert gratuitous Buford T Justice quote here>

Sure am man. Save for a few minor adjustments, it seemed pretty clear that they knew the lead was enough to conserve tape.

I'll defer to your analysis 100%, but it looked to me that the D just got winded from being on the field for the entire 3rd Q. Either way, not a huge concern for the time being.

Cool to read your thoughts on our schematic successes on both sides of the ball. Watched the game at a bar, but I had a sense this is what the tape would show.

Otherwise, thought that the O-Line (and Vollmer in particular) had a great game all the way around. Brady had all day to throw and Taylor ran for 5 ypc.

Also, can't overstate how important it is to have options in the passing game beyond the usual Moss/Welker/Faulk. Tate, Hernandez, and Gronkowski are already making their presences felt.

Let's not start dissing my boy Moss, ie, the O doesn't need him. For instance that wide open toss to AHern was created by Moss being double-teamed. Moss creates havoc, please do not underestimate his importance to this O. Do you realize the two most prolific offenses ever in the NFL had one thing in common? Both had Randy. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Superstars always create a greater presence than just their own position. Just like, with Seymour gone and we struggle to find three people who can provide just a part of what he did with barely anyone noticing, Randy Moss does likewise for the WRs and TEs and the whole Offense.

I hope the Pats are in a different signing situation now and can afford to re-sign him whereas they simply did not have enough CAP money to handle Wilfork, Brady, Mankins, Gostkowski, Neal, and Seymour all at the same time.

Let's not start dissing my boy Moss, ie, the O doesn't need him. For instance that wide open toss to AHern was created by Moss being double-teamed. Moss creates havoc, please do not underestimate his importance to this O. Do you realize the two most prolific offenses ever in the NFL had one thing in common? Both had Randy. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Excellent observation.

we've been through this before..it's the way the Pats strucure the team...we let Vinitieri go for crying out loud...and Milloy and Law and Asante and Vrabel and...well...look, it took major balls AND confidence to jettison Bledsoe, right? That should give THIS regime carte blanche until they're through.How does everyone feel about these kids they've drafted the past two years? Other team go down and stay down for a decade.At least we got a team with potential to follow...again...like 2001...etc....BTW Rodney is fantastic opposite Dungy...notice?Rodney knows too

How good was Brady's mobility and his arm today! His throws had some of the purest spirals and max velocity you'll see.

And a great touch on the Gronk TD. When he let it go I thought Gronk would have to jump for it, but it fell right in.

I think all of us took a page from a certain three letter name ex-poster and blamed a lot of the woes on the OC last year and some of it was deserving. We shouldn't overlook the influx of talent this year as part of the reason he may have struggled last year and may have a lot more success this year.

I want to see, and this isn't negative I think/hope he'll do these things, how he works off some of the things we saw this week. The Hernandez catch where they all followed Moss. What's the twist once teams see that on film? The bubble screen to Welker with Crumpler and Gronkowski split out wide with him. Certainly teams are going to see that and adjust so I want to see the fake and then a draw to Faulk or a bomb Moss.

They weren't predictable today. I hope I'm saying the same thing every week and that they don't develop distinct tendencies like last year.

The best thing that could have happened over the summer is that Bill O'Brien was reminded that there is such a thing as the play-action pass.

....which works when you have an effective running game. Thank you, Fred Taylor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back