PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Take on Billicks Fourth down Time Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawky77

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Did not see a thread on this and have yet to read a news article critical of it.

Biillick calls a TO just before the most critical fourth down and one play by the Pats in the game. Thus nullifying his teams successful stop of the Pats and allowing them another try which is successful.

Why, why, why would he do this....Quite simple actually, Billick was looking to become the genius that history would say snapped the Pats win streak at 11 games and destroyed their pursuit of perfection with his genius TO call.

This TO strategy became popular early in the season with field goal attempts Billicks application of this strategy to fourth and one plays is the first and the last we will see of it.

In Billicks mind he was convinced the Pats would make the first down and go on to win the game so he had the Ref stand next to him on that play so he could call a last second time out and nullify the play...thus the media would say wow what a genius call by the genius coach and his players would be all eternally thankful to him for his saving the game for them. Hey after this game the media might even call the strategy They just got Billicked.

But low and behold the Ravens defense held the Pats and stopped the first down, So instead of being a Genius coach who single handedly saved the game for his team Billick is the Goat and he so destroyed His teams moral and discipline that they were not the same confident controlled defensive team after that play but were taking out their frustration and anger on the Pats players drawing penalties and giving the game to the Pats.

This call by Billick could have further fallout as his team goes forward, for he has lost a lot more then this game for his team, he has lost his team!

Did not see a thread on this and have yet to read a news article critical of it.

Biillick calls a TO just before the most critical fourth down and one play by the Pats in the game. Thus nullifying his teams successful stop of the Pats and allowing them another try which is successful.

Why, why, why would he do this....Quite simple actually, Billick was looking to become the genius that history would say snapped the Pats win streak at 11 games and destroyed their pursuit of perfection with his genius TO call.

This TO strategy became popular early in the season with field goal attempts Billicks application of this strategy to fourth and one plays is the first and the last we will see of it.

In Billicks mind he was convinced the Pats would make the first down and go on to win the game so he had the Ref stand next to him on that play so he could call a last second time out and nullify the play...thus the media would say wow what a genius call by the genius coach and his players would be all eternally thankful to him for his saving the game for them. Hey after this game the media might even call the strategy They just got Billicked.

But low and behold the Ravens defense held the Pats and stopped the first down, So instead of being a Genius coach who single handedly saved the game for his team Billick is the Goat and he so destroyed His teams moral and discipline that they were not the same confident controlled defensive team after that play but were taking out their frustration and anger on the Pats players drawing penalties and giving the game to the Pats.

This call by Billick could have further fallout as his team goes forward, for he has lost a lot more then this game for his team, he has lost his team!

Billick did not call the TO. The DC did.

The TO was not a bad call, and I think a lot teams would have done the same thing. I'm sure the Ravens DC was thinking he'd wait to see how the Pats lined up and then call a TO. Also, I wonder if any of the Pats heard the whistle and thus didn't give the play 100%. By that point, the Pats D had to have been tired and would have certainly welcomed a TO under any circumstance.

That play should have never happened. Faulk got the first down on the previous play. That was a bad spot.

That play should have never happened. Faulk got the first down on the previous play. That was a bad spot.

I think Your wrong, I was watching that play and Faulk totaly missed the first down marker. I was wondering "what the he11" you need to step up and try to get the first and not go out of bounds. With the way the Ravens were playing, fourth and 1 is too risky. And if it wasn't for the time out, 4th down failed. And suprise suprise, a false start acually helped.

Last edited:
Your wrong, I was watching that play and Faulk totaly missed the first down marker. I was wondering "what the he11" you need to step up and try to get the first and not go out of bounds. With the way the Ravens were playing, fourth and 1 is too risky. And if it wasn't for the time out, 4th down failed. And suprise suprise, a false start acually helped.

I was thinking the same thing. If Faulk doesn't try to run out of bounds he would have gotten the 1st down easily by falling forward. I think it was just a mental mistake on his part. Luckily it didn't cost us thanks to the Raven's TO.

I think it's a little to early to say Billick lost his team because of that TO. But the Ravesn players were definitely frustrated.

Billick didn't call in Ryan did. That's another grounds for the whining out of Baltimore since in hindsight the TO can only technically be called by the players on the field or by the HC even though it's not uncommon for it to be granted when called by someone else.

I like Tom's response when asked about it, basically saying he would have made the first down if they hadn't called it because he let up when he saw the TO coming. :)

I was thinking the same thing. If Faulk doesn't try to run out of bounds he would have gotten the 1st down easily by falling forward. I think it was just a mental mistake on his part. Luckily it didn't cost us thanks to the Raven's TO.

I think it's a little to early to say Billick lost his team because of that TO. But the Ravesn players were definitely frustrated.

That was the ironic part. The D has had a problem with Billick and the O playcalling all season long and it was the DC that got that TO called.

Am I the only one who believes Tom when he said that if he hadn't heard the whistle blow, he'd have gotten the 1st down? I think its at least part true because if the play is dead, why would he subject himself to the beating I'm sure he takes on the bottom of those piles :bricks:

He did say it with a smirk that could suggest he was completely kidding and knew they got lucky, or he could just have been smiling because he could imagine the way those words would get used in the press.

Your wrong, I was watching that play and Faulk totaly missed the first down marker. I was wondering "what the he11" you need to step up and try to get the first and not go out of bounds. With the way the Ravens were playing, fourth and 1 is too risky. And if it wasn't for the time out, 4th down failed. And suprise suprise, a false start acually helped.

Did you rewind? On DVR I looked again and the ball was past the line. His feet never touched the OB until he was past the marker. Now, did is body cross over the plane before the marker? Yes. But in these cases, the refs watch two things in order to find out where to mark the ball. They either mark it where the feet step out or else where the ball cross over.

Did you rewind? On DVR I looked again and the ball was past the line. His feet never touched the OB until he was past the marker. Now, did is body cross over the plane before the marker? Yes. But in these cases, the refs watch two things in order to find out where to mark the ball. They either mark it where the feet step out or else where the ball cross over.

I probably shouldn't have typed "your wrong", I should have typed " I think you mistaken" or some such.

No, I didn't rewind or anything like that. I only saw the play live and said to myself ( since when I watch the patriots my wife leaves the room) "What the he11, get the first, don't go out of bounds". I thought he went out early, and I still haven't seen the play again, so I can only say what I believe, I don't have any way to check back. So again, I think Faulk went out of bounds early.

Billick didn't call in Ryan did. That's another grounds for the whining out of Baltimore since in hindsight the TO can only technically be called by the players on the field or by the HC even though it's not uncommon for it to be granted when called by someone else.

I like Tom's response when asked about it, basically saying he would have made the first down if they hadn't called it because he let up when he saw the TO coming. :)

Beat me to it.....Billick didn't throw Ryan, his DC under the bus in the press conference, saying "we called the time out". Showed class IMHO, and many Raven's fans are beating him about it. Looking at the replay, the side judge, who called the time out didn't even look at who called it, just made the signal, when Ryan approached him yelling and doing the "T" signal with his hands.

I just checked and it seems to me that thay gave him a generous spot. Seeing it live and seeing it again just now makes no difference to me. He simply goes out of bounds too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back