PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My shot at predicting the Draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no is that how my post comes across? I'm with you about keeping that Raider pick. No way they should deal that.

What I meant is...maybe they are targeting that dlineman next year with that top pick. I know everyone is thinking receiver/runningback for that pick but I can see Belichick taking the best 34 defensive end there.

Maybe take a guy this year in the second and get that 10 year starter next year.

I have no clue about who is coming out next year but it's just a thought.

who knows what they are going to do. That's half the fun.

I think the recent revelations of the incident when he was 16 may cause some teams to think twice which may cause him to go lower in the draft.....

As daft as it sounds, I don't think it will do him any real harm at all.

There's been the rumoured massive red flag over him for some time, but no-one knew what it was. Plus there were the reports of him being an arrogant jerk to go along with that. That has me concerned, and now the full story on his red flag has come to light it will turn teams off.

But it happened a long time ago (8 years to be exact), and he's supposedly a very hard worker in practise, and gives everything when he's playing. It's not a knock on his character now like drunkeness, drug taking, lazy, overweight etc.

Some teams will knock him off their Draft board, but some teams will either look passed it, or think they can absorb him and surround him with role models and the right people. NE would be a great fit, as too would someone like the Colts.

He's screwed if he ends up with a bunch of undisciplined losers though.

Re: My 7-round mock draft

That's a tough one to project.

-- The kid has some real talent for LT.
-- Any team that takes him will have a major travel nightmare to jump through all the legal hoops necessary to permit him to travel with the team.
-- There will likely be a special security detail needed to accompany him when traveling, for his protection and to ease the concerns of local authorities.
-- He's been through two serious threat analysis/background checks for the two college programs he's played in, both appear to have been very thorough and found him to be a low risk. Both college programs are part of a Church-centered education program where a young man with his background has the chance to receive a solid foundation for their rehabilitation.

Based on the article, it appears he came from a dysfunctional family background, the kind of nasty home situation where children get truly messed up. (I have to wonder if his sister was ever registered as a sex offender?) There seems to have been an effort to get this kid straightened out and from the article he seems to have made an effort to help himself within the support structure created for him.

For his sake I hope he is drafted or signed by a team like NE which has the team culture to support and encourage his continued rehabilitation. If he should wind up in a place like Oakland or Cincinnati...poor bastitch.

And Box as always beats me to it and puts it better than I could have :cool:

Does the Raider pick for next year come into play at all? Does anyone think they may wait in the first on the d line this year and grab the best stud available with at least a top 15 next year?

I doubt it. And I hope not. Although never say never.

I'm hoping next year we draft two stud game-changers in the first round.

The juniors declaring this year has weakened next year's Draft class, and if it looks like there won't be a 2011 season, you'll see a lot of 2011 juniors staying in. Next year's Draft could be terrible after the first couple of rounds.

I doubt it. And I hope not. Although never say never.

I'm hoping next year we draft two stud game-changers in the first round.

The juniors declaring this year has weakened next year's Draft class, and if it looks like there won't be a 2011 season, you'll see a lot of 2011 juniors staying in. Next year's Draft could be terrible after the first couple of rounds.

You seem to be on the top of the drafting scene so I'm wondering what you think of Floyd Reese? Is he the guy who knows the talent and how it will translate to the pros? I hear his name mentioned every so often. I think he has a little fire underneath him how the Titans let him go. His wife definitely does.

I hate to hijack the thread but I'm wondering what you guys thought about Floyd Reese.

What I meant is...maybe they are targeting that dlineman next year with that top pick.
Looking at NFL Draft Scout's top 10 ranked DT and DE, there are two players whom NE might consider as 5-techs in the 2011 class (some will argue they should be OLB, but that's a decision for later):
-- Cameron Heyward, Ohio State, 6-6/287
-- Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh, 6-5/270

The only other DL in the top 10 for DT or DE who is listed at 6'5" or taller is a small school kid with NT weight. Unless NE is picking #1, which Crazy Al may gift to BB anyway, it's not a sure thing they can get the player they want.

The smartest thing to do is try and build the team with the draft class at hand, if one of the players in 2011 is an upgrade, and available when NE picks, you make your decision then. Last year BB drafted three DL, Pryor was a surprise since he didn't appear to fit the scheme, but he was used creatively and proved coaching good players means you can be scheme diverse. This is a deep draft for DL, NE is currently short on DL for the roster - they have seven, which most seasons has been the number carried on the "53." Richard, Grady, and Brace all carry PSquad eligibility, as will whomever NE drafts this year, so there is lot's of flexibility to draft and reorganize the DL.

Regarding Floyd Reese: He was signed on for his expertise in contract negotiation, his expertise in team building, and his historic knowledge of the NFL dating back before the first salary cap. In an uncapped year he serves as a sounding board and memory aid to Bill Belichick on just how things used to work - an experienced team manager who helps with planning a management strategy and adjusting it on the fly as 2010 turns into 2011. He also is a sounding board who Nick Caserio can use as Nick manages his role in player personnel - he may also be teaching Caserio the business side of things that Pioli used to handle so Nick can grow into a General Manager in his own time.

Nick Caserio is the man who heads the team pulling together all the data on prospects from scouts, coaches, and external sources. Just as last year, Nick's the Personnel guy, Reese wears a different hat.

You seem to be on the top of the drafting scene so I'm wondering what you think of Floyd Reese? Is he the guy who knows the talent and how it will translate to the pros? I hear his name mentioned every so often. I think he has a little fire underneath him how the Titans let him go. His wife definitely does.

I hate to hijack the thread but I'm wondering what you guys thought about Floyd Reese.

I wish! I'm basically trying to hang on to the coat-tails of Box and Mayoclinic!

As for Floyd, he seemed to do a very good job in Tennessee, although he left under a cloud (can't remember what the reason was).

He's seemingly in tune with BB and Caserio, and last year's draft looks a good one. I'll not pass judgement yet, but the signs are promising.

As daft as it sounds, I don't think it will do him any real harm at all.

But it happened a long time ago (8 years to be exact), and he's supposedly a very hard worker in practise, and gives everything when he's playing. It's not a knock on his character now like drunkeness, drug taking, lazy, overweight etc.

Some teams will knock him off their Draft board, but some teams will either look passed it, or think they can absorb him and surround him with role models and the right people. NE would be a great fit, as too would someone like the Colts.

Ummm...yeah....he's a registered sex offender as required by the Courts, and creepiness aside, I don't see him being drafted by this team. Bob and Myra will probably make that clear.

Thanks BOR and BitPat. Awesome stuff.
Reese and crew are going to come up big again this year and continue building the foundation of the future teams. I'm a glass half full guy.
Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back