Welcome to PatsFans.com

My remaining FA wish list

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ivanvamp, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanvamp

ivanvamp In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

1. Kamerion Wimbley, OLB. "Another late add to a strong defensive free agent market. Still young, he fits instantly into any system and brings it against both the pass and the run." Solid sack guy: 11.0, 5.0, 4.0, 6.5, 9.0, 7.0 over his first six years (average of 7 per season). Just 28 years old.

2. Brandon Lloyd, WR. Still think he's the best fit for the Pats' WR needs. Don't think the price tag will end up being prohibitive.

3. LaRon Landry, S. Don't love him, but he would be an improvement over what they currently have. Between him, Chung, and Gregory, that's a better group than this past year's. Cost might be a problem, plus he has that sketchy injury history.

4. Andre Carter, DE. I think we can get him for not a lot, given his age and injury. I think he's useful and can probably give the Pats 6-8 sacks.

5. BJGE, Deion Branch. Like Branch as the #3 WR who can step in if Welker or Lloyd gets hurt. BJGE isn't a star, but I love his reliability. If they don't sign either of these guys they'll be ok, but I like having them on the team.

First two guys are the priority, though. A LB corps of Wimbley, Mayo, Spikes, and Ninkovich, with a DL of Fanene, Wilfork, and Love is nice.

2. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +200 / 13 / -7

I am thinking that Landry might play a cover LB role, kind of like a Big Nickel position

3. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +129 / 4 / -0

If they sign Lloyd, and have money set aside for Waters or his replacement, then I predict that's it for a while. They'll want to have some flexibility to respond to good players getting cut over the next few months.

4. patriot.de

patriot.de Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

add langford for the right price ;)

5. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +91 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

Langford would be my top defensive FA target, with Andre Carter and either Anderson or Trevor Scott rounding out the front 7. I'm intrigued by Wimbley, but I think he is going to be overpaid, and even at fair market value he might be out of the Pats price range. I think the only way he comes here would be on a 1 year deal to try and rise his price for next year. The same with LaRon Landry, on a 1 year deal I wouldn't mind him, but long term I would be scared to death.

On offense, Lloyd is the obvious guy, and it seems he might come at a reasonable price. I would also love to get BJGE back, and hopefully we don't have to overpay him as well. Other than that, there aren't too many guys I'm hugely interested in. There are some vets I wouldn't mind giving a shot in camp, like Shaun Rodgers, Amobi Okoye, John Henderson Quinton Groves and Melvin Bullitt, but on non guaranteed contracts. I think the bulk of the roster improvement will come through the draft.

6. FoxboroFlyer

FoxboroFlyer Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd love to see the team take a shot safety Reggie Smith. The guy has starting potential, and a pretty nice skill set.

7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 20 / -18

No way we can afford all of those guy. Im not quite sure we could afford 2 of the first 3.

8. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +780 / 20 / -18

Waters is under contract

9. satz

satz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wimbley is not great . he does not even bother to play the run . So he is more of an Anderson who has no history of playing the run [maybe he can ] .In that case i rather get anderson.

I do not care about the offense knowing we will be top 5. the bottom 2 defense is the thing i worry about.

Not a big fan of landry , he is too big and is a great in box guy but cannot cover worth a crap. With all the spread offense you have to put him or chung in there unless we play a vikings ,broncos or similar teams.

bje - i think we need to sign him as i know what we get from him and also the cap is just exploding with a big jump in 2014 and we have a floor.
    so i say spend it why save it. can ridley carry 200 times i have no idea and vareen say another 100.... i have no idea. I do not be at week 10 looking for a scrap heap RB with all useless cap room .

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  10. West Philly Patriot

West Philly Patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +65 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

Who cares about being top 5 against bad to middle of the road defenses when you can't respond when a good defense takes away what you do best in the postseason. Don't get enamored with the regular season stats, look at our average the last few years in the Postseason. Outside of the denver game, we've been very ordinary. Good teams clog the middle and dare us to throw elsewhere, it's been a running theme and the book is out. For a team that relies as heavily on the pass as us, we sorely need to upgrade the WR position.

I don't think anyone is envisioning Chung and Landry lining up together against the texans, I doubt BB is either given Landry's skill-set. Give the coaches more credit, he would be a much better hybrid LB and big nickel guy than what we have. Remember what BB was trying to do with Tank Williams before he had the recurring knee issue. I picture that being the end game and they want Landry to sign something reflecting situational use.

11. ivanvamp

ivanvamp In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

Probably can get two of the first three, but not all of them, I agree. It's a wish list, not a "here's what I think the Patriots are going to do" list. :)

12. West Philly Patriot

West Philly Patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +65 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

I also don't understand the interest in Langford. He is a young guy with measurables that fit our system. Outside of that he's depth, and run stopping depth at that. The guy has shown nothing as a pass rusher, and I thought that was what we were looking for. Interior Pass rushers? I wouldn't start him over Deaderick

13. Wilfork#75

Ratings:
    +91 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think he's a hugely underrated 3-4 DE, and I don't agree all we are looking for is interior pass rushers. If we go back to a base 3-4, we have Wilfork at NT, and maybe Deaderick at DE, depending on how much you like him. We still need a starter opposite him, which I don't think we have on the roster, because I think Fanene is the sub package interior DL you're looking for. Love is you backup NT and isn't a great fit at DE, Brace is still an unknown and Pryor is your other sub rusher. I still think we need 2 base DE's, and ideally we can get 1 in FA (Langford) and one in the draft (Still?).

I don't think the stats really show how good Langford is, and he just turned 26 years old so his prime is still ahead of him. He is a very good run stuffer, who does a good job holding the point of attack and occupying blockers, which is exactly what we are looking for from a DE. He also showed some decent pass rush skills notching 7.5 sacks over his first 3 years, which is decent for a 3-4 DE. He has almost ideal measurables for the position, has experience in the AFCE, and should come at a decent price. I really think he could be a very good player here.

14. TheComeback

TheComeback 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wimbley will be too expensive.

I don't think Lloyd will cost as much as others say, and Landry certainly won't with his health the last two years.

15. Wilfork#75

Ratings:
    +91 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think Lloyd will come at a similar price to Ochocinco. Something around 3yrs $12mil, maybe a little more, with around $5mil signing bonus. I think that is fair to both sides, because it is obvious many teams are scared off by his personality.

16. Wilfork#75

Ratings:
    +91 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh well, Langford to the Rams for 4yrs $24mil. A little higher than I would have liked, but I would probably have made that deal.

17. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

Get rid of Wimbley, and I'll take the other four (although BJGE isn't any priority and I won't be at all surprised if he signs elsewhere)

18. DW Toys

DW Toys In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -2

Slleeper might be Trevor Scott OLB/DE. He has Wimbley type numbers before he got hurt. He is coming in for a visit. Love to have Wimbley, but Scott might be that hidden gem. By the way, played TE a little at University of Buffalo. So OLB/DE/TE. Scott is a little bigger and faster and will cost about a third. Is he back all the way from his 2010 ACL? He had 12 sacks his first two years.

I think Landry is key. He has the ability to dominate. I am sure that BB has made a call to his buddy in Alabama and former LSU coach Mr. Saban.

I think Gonzales at WR is a quality WR when healthy which he has not been. A typical former #1 pick with injuries coming back that BB will try to make a value pick up. He is six years younger than Branch. He is bigger. He also has played in a "high tech offense" with Manning. He was also an Academic All American that BB will know. He will cost the Team less than Branch. If it's a business decision, for a 4th WR with NFL experience you have to go with 27 year old Gonzales if healthy and hope he comes back to 2009 form. If it's "keeping the band together", you spend a little more and get Branch back.

I would rather spend a buck or two more and get Lloyd as a FA WR over Branch and Gonzales and worry about a 4th guy in the Draft. I would rather get Edelman to concentrate on just WR and give him the reps. He seemed rusty in the SB but did have one superb catch.

I am going to get torched here but Braylon Edwards had some killer games against us with a mediocre QB pitching to him. BB noted these things. Does he have size (6'3" and 217lbs) ? Yes. Does he have speed? Yes, Does he have mental lapses and drop some? Yep. Is he a knucklehead? Yes...big time. Will he work on a discount now? Yes. If BB can get Chad to shut his mouth, you can get Edwards to. In 2010 with Sanchez as QB in a run first Offense, he caught 53 and had 7 TDs. He priced himself off the Jets. They are still considering bringing him back. Does he have an upside? Yes. My only question is smarts. He is not Mensa material. Plus his good buddy Shotty is now with the Rams and they need a WR and I don't see visits for Edwards to St.Louis but who knows if they had issues or if Shotty was sore he packed up and left. Rex would have the big one if Edwards was a couple chunder miles north of NJ and had a great year.
    He is rehabbing a knee and did not get the call at SF with small armed QB Alex Smith.
    Would it hurt to bring him in for a visit?
    DW Toys

19. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +780 / 20 / -18

Landry will sign for MUCH more than people on this board are predicting.
    Hw is a top 6 pick, probowl caliber S. Yes, I am concerned that his injury may haunt him, but there are enough teams in pursuit that it will have a minimal impact on his contract. He will get top 10 S money.

20. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 26 / -4

I agree that the signing Landry could be an important part of our offseason.

There are 2 issues with Landry: his health and contract price.

I agree with Andy that he will command top 10 safety compensation. We will only pay this if we expect him to get lots of reps. He would be expected to be our starting safety opposite Chung.

I suspect that we are willing to "overpay" some. Our need is great and the supply is thin.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.