PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Prediction on Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the walkthrough tape is a ruse. I think there is some reason we do not know yet that his end game is immunity from prosecution. My guess is that he wants to write a book, and will fill it with lies. He had a clause in contract with the Pats that prevents him from sharing inside info. Therefore, if he writes a book, particualrly one with lies in it, he will be sued by the Pats, and I suppose ultimately would lose the money he made on the book.
So, he creates the walkthrough tape ruse, makes it sound like he has incriminating evidence on the Patriots, in order to get the Specters of the world to force the NFL to do whatever it takes to find out what he knows. Pressure is on to give him immunity. He gets it, there is no walk through tape, or one that is him leaving the camera on as he leaves the field after Pats practice that shows them stretching or something.
Then he writes his book, and has been given full immunity that the Pats can do nothing about him violating his contract.

It actually seems pretty obvious to me. Here are some inconsistencies that support this idea.
1) Does anyone really believe that he would have been allowed to stay and film the Rams walk through and they would not have noticed or cared? This has been totally overlooked in all of this. How could it happen that the Rams wouldn't see him with a camera in his hand taping the practice?
2) He is pushing EXTEMELY hard for immunity, and demanding full immunity from EVERYTHING. You don't require immunity unless you did something wrong (or will do something wrong)
3) This came out SB week. Why? Well, if the Pats won, they made history, as a 19-0 team. Of course, that increases what anyone would pay him for a book about what he knows. Leaking it during SB week, just happens to put it in the news, at the time, and at the venue that the most possible media will focus on it.
4) If the allegations were true, he would have blackmailed the Patriots with them when he was fired. When you have a 'get out of jail free card' you use it at the point you are FIRED FROM YOUR JOB. We are now supposed to believe that Matt Walsh had the evidence that the Patriots cheated in the SB, got fired in 2003, and at that point did not threaten to use it to save his job? Then he decided to wait 5 more years before using it?
5) Again, the timing is probably irrelevant because there is no logical reason he would wait, the timing only coincides with when he had the idea to make up the claim. When the publicity on Spygate was highest, if he had been holding it back all of this time, he would have seen it as his golden opportunity. The reality, it appears, is that it took him 4 months to think up something that he could use to get himself in the limelight.

Prediction: Walsh gets granted unprecedented immunity. In essence, the NFL, bans the Patriots from any action against him for any reason. Walsh's 'evidence' turns out to be bogus. Walsh writes a book, also using the conspiracy theory angle that the NFL knew he was telling the truth and swept it under the carpet. The Patriots are barred by the leagues agreement from doing anything (in fact Goddell may pressure Kraft into signing such an indemnity). Bob Kraft sues the NFL (Al Davis-style) over the Walsh issue, the fines, and the lost draft pick.
Overall a great piece of inductive logic, I think that in the end you could very well be correct. Its the best theory I've heard yet. The only thing that still bothers me is the timing. A bogus SB victory would be a scandle anytime in the last five years. He didn't need to wait until now, how could anyone predicted spygate,and a potential 19-0 season.

Still not seeing how any agreement made between Goodell and Walsh binds Kraft. I don't believe he'd sign his rights away. He didn't become a billionaire by being weak and stupid.

The other question I have is how Goodell would/could pressure Kraft into signing anything?

At this moment, with the CBA looming etc, Kraft holds the bigger stick--IMO.

Re: Another Walsh theory

Not buying your little theory.

And btw--it's not really paranoid. A paranoid theory would be if you tried to tell us Polian had hired Walsh, groomed him when he was in high school to do what he's doing today.

I hate people who aspire to paranoid when they aren't.
:)

ok lets say its pessimistic

I think we should just wait to see what, if anything, Walsh has. I believe his lawyer said he had videotapes. Some have speculated that he could have audiotapes that show BB or SP or someone else in a bad light. I do have a question on potential audiotapes...isn't that illegal to do in this state? I thought Mass needed both parties to consent to being taped. Anyhow, back to any videotapes...during the Pats walkthru a telescope was noticed in an adjacent building. If Walsh has a videotape of the Rams walkthru why are we assuming it was filmed inside the stadium. Could he have been the person with the telescope? Guess if he has a tape we will be able to tell where it was filmed from. Count me as someone who just wants everything out in the open.

My theory is that if Walsh has tapes, it is of taping defensive signals only. When he initially told everyone that he had something and would sing if someone paid for all his legal bills in perpitude, it was not publically known that Belichick admitted to taping defensive signals since 2000. So when he was running his mouth, he thought he had really damaging evidence.

I really doubt he has a tape of the Rams' walthrough. Based on what Jason Cole and Roger Goodell has said, there seems to be far more evidence pointing to that that allegeded taping never actually happened.

The media will not influence the outcome of any investigation..."IF" there is any investigation. Please SVN, you give the media too much power when in reality, they have none at all unless we give it to them.

Well , hasnt this whole ruckus started by fish and tomase ? it wasnt some covert investigation which started this mess. i seriously hope iam wrong and this thing just blows up on walsh's and ESPN's face.

Let's understand that Goodell with not be able to hand down any further punishment without absolute evidence. I know this is not a court of law, but Goodell is going to have to act according to the law.

Of course he won't be able to just say, "In my opinion, the Patriots are guilty". That in itself would make a laughing-stock of the NFL and he won't/can't risk that. The evidence in the original spygate was absolute and this is going to have to be judged in the same manner.

Folks, don't think for a minute the media is going to influence this in the least. Remember, there's a whole can of worms just waiting to be released by the Patriots if this thing gets out of hand. And the NFL just can't afford that.

You guys worry WAY too much.

When I think back on many of our member's (over) reaction to the Moss incident, it reminds me of how we blow things out of proportion in a direct proportion to the level of media coverage. That is called "The sky is falling" response. Was the Moss issue ever a big deal? No, it NEVER was, yet many here acted as if they were Chicken Little himself.

I really wish our members would stop hitting the "panic-button" so often. Just like the Moss incident, the main person "holding the goods" is a questionable character at best. In all seriousness, if we read through the facts thus far, there is nothing to be worried about. Most are reacting to the level of coverage rather than the quality of its content.

To date, nothing has been written for us to worry about.
how many people will laugh at him for that ? So many people who hate the pats/BB what this happen . When idiots can assume that a taped video of a defensive signal can hugely impact the game why would they not agree with goodell if he does something against the pats ?
i for one hope if walsh has tapes then its of other games of the past . Then its virtually nothing. Anything to do with SB stuff then the pats will of course deny it but iam sure more will want to believe walsh then the pats. Seriously depends on what goodell wants and so far he seems to be on the pats side. Maybe its just a comcast/nfl n deal which if resolved will make this go away.

I think we should just wait to see what, if anything, Walsh has. I believe his lawyer said he had videotapes. Some have speculated that he could have audiotapes that show BB or SP or someone else in a bad light. I do have a question on potential audiotapes...isn't that illegal to do in this state? I thought Mass needed both parties to consent to being taped. Anyhow, back to any videotapes...during the Pats walkthru a telescope was noticed in an adjacent building. If Walsh has a videotape of the Rams walkthru why are we assuming it was filmed inside the stadium. Could he have been the person with the telescope? Guess if he has a tape we will be able to tell where it was filmed from. Count me as someone who just wants everything out in the open.
audiotapes wont mean much IMO unless it catches BB saying "tape the rams walkthrough" or something. if the audio just talks about other teams strategies and signals then that could be just scouting info.i doubt it could do anything.

One more thought following Andy's theory about Walsh concocting potentially new damaging proof in the hopes of maneuvering for total protection in order to benefit commercially:

If the attorney's legal hangup is blanket vs. somwhat more limited indemnification, does anyone know if there a way for the language to be crafted in a conditional way--such that if Walsh does come out with something new and something truthful, then he gets the blanket protection, but when it's time to put up or shut up he has nothing new, flushing out the ruse, he receives the more limited indemnity.

Goodell announced yesterday they were getting closer on the language--I wonder what the resolution will be and if this can be a part of the solution?

Last edited:
I don't buy Walsh's argument at all.

Someone is paying Walsh's attorney fees. Not Walsh.

Here's a question for Mr. Levy: why don't YOU guarantee Mr. Walsh that you will work for him if he's sued by the Patriots? That way he doesn't have to worry about legal fees. Obviously, someone is already paying you to work with him.

The fact that Levy is using his own fee as an excuse for Walsh's lack of cooperation tells me that these guys are worried about something else, like Walsh's ability to profit from all this.

If Walsh doesn't tell a provable lie, then there's no way he could lose a court case. The only thing he has to worry about is lawyer fees, but that too is also a moot point since someone else is obviously paying those fees.

Here's my play:

1. If he has a tape of the Rams' walk-through, he taped it himself or obtained it from another media contact
2. Otherwise, all videotapes are of defensive signals (so who cares?)
3. Finally, based on the info from Pioli, the tapes Walsh may really be concerned with are his recordings of conversations. This is illegal and could not be used as evidence against BB or the Pats.

Kraft should have 'taken care' of this a long time ago. All that money and we still have every Tom, ****, and Harry talking head wiping their feet on our legacy. Great.

I don't buy Walsh's argument at all.

Someone is paying Walsh's attorney fees. Not Walsh.

Here's a question for Mr. Levy: why don't YOU guarantee Mr. Walsh that you will work for him if he's sued by the Patriots? That way he doesn't have to worry about legal fees. Obviously, someone is already paying you to work with him.

The fact that Levy is using his own fee as an excuse for Walsh's lack of cooperation tells me that these guys are worried about something else, like Walsh's ability to profit from all this.

If Walsh doesn't tell a provable lie, then there's no way he could lose a court case. The only thing he has to worry about is lawyer fees, but that too is also a moot point since someone else is obviously paying those fees.

seriously? No one is "paying walsh's attorney fee's" The lawyer will be donating his time on the likelyhood that he can make a mint off of Walsh's settlement, or deals he gets out of this. Happens ALL of the time, a hot shot lawyer will step up to help someone for free in a high profile case for the settlement and face time.

walsh may be a jerk, a liar, or an idiot, but I HIGHLY doubt he's a pawn in someones big scheme to bring down the Patriots.

seriously? No one is "paying walsh's attorney fee's" The lawyer will be donating his time on the likelyhood that he can make a mint off of Walsh's settlement, or deals he gets out of this. Happens ALL of the time, a hot shot lawyer will step up to help someone for free in a high profile case for the settlement and face time.

walsh may be a jerk, a liar, or an idiot, but I HIGHLY doubt he's a pawn in someones big scheme to bring down the Patriots.

Wait a minute. You are saying a lawyer is taking a high profile case against a billion dollar corporation in the hope that he will get an amazing amount of free publicity and possibly take a significant piece if his client cashes in on a book deal?

But that doesn't make any sense in Fantasyland or Conspiracyworld...

Wait a minute. You are saying a lawyer is taking a high profile case against a billion dollar corporation in the hope that he will get an amazing amount of free publicity and possibly take a significant piece if his client cashes in on a book deal?

But that doesn't make any sense in Fantasyland or Conspiracyworld...

Okay, but why THAT lawyer? A Washington insider, white collar crime, active in defending people against such things as illegal wiretapping etc....

Aren't there any good lawyers in HI? Or MA, or even RI?

Seriously, why THAT lawyer?

Okay, but why THAT lawyer? A Washington insider, white collar crime, active in defending people against such things as illegal wiretapping etc....

Aren't there any good lawyers in HI? Or MA, or even RI?

Seriously, why THAT lawyer?

Because there was a significant chance that all this would play out before Congress.
Because that "insider" found out what was going down and was the first to contact Walsh.

This isn't a hotshot lawyer that needs Mr. Walsh for anything. This is a connected DC lawyer. Big difference.

This isn't a hotshot lawyer that needs Mr. Walsh for anything. This is a connected DC lawyer. Big difference.

dude, Money talks. If not the money then certainly the street cred of bringing down the NFL is reason enough to do it. Maybe the guy is after his defining case, maybe Bellicheck stole his gf in HS, or maybe he's just a Colts fan.

In any case it is not uncommon for a high profile lawyer to take up a cause pro-bono.

Or you could choose to believe that "someone" raised walsh in a secret covert boot camp from birth, training him to infiltrate the New England FO and gather incriminating evidence to bring down the impending dynasty, and is now funding his legal battle :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down