PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Post Combine / Pre-Combine Top 20

hornetfb85

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Very confusing title I know, but below will be my top 20 using a combination of lists made before the combine. In a few weeks I will update as more updated lists come out. Basically looked through the following sources:
ESPN.com
NFL.com
CBSSports.com
Danial Jeremiah
Mel Kiper
Todd McShay

Took there lists and came up with an average and made up my own list (Which is very inaccurate, especially since the combine is over). Anyway, here it goes:

# Name (Average from the above 6 sources)
1. Leonard Williams (1)
2. Jameis Winston (3.2)
3. Amari Cooper (3.8)
4. Randy Gregory (4.7)
5. Shane Ray (5.2)
6. Marcus Mariota (6.5) * D. Jeremiah ranked MM 12th which is significantly lower than the others
7. Danny Shelton (7.8)
8. Brandon Scherff (9.7) * D. Jeremiah ranked BS 21st which is significantly lower than the others
9. Dante Fowler (9.8)
10. Kevin White (10.3)
11. DeVante Parker (12.2)
12. Landon Collins (12.3)
13. Andrus Peat (13.2)
14. Arik Armstead (15.3) * CBSSports ranked AA 38th which is very much lower than the others
15. Melvin Gordon (15.3)
16. Trae Waynes (17)
17. T.J. Clemmings (19)
18. Vic Beasley (20)
19. La'El Collins (21)
20. Eddie Goldman (22)

Once again this list is a combination of those six sources before the combine. Fully expect Fowler, White, Armstead, Waynes, and Beasley to move up. Should be interesting to keep up with this years draft.

Last edited:
Quick Note: Only reason Todd Gurley is not on the list is because Kiper left him out of his Top 25. With the other five sources Gurley would have had a 19.3 average which would put him in the top 20.

CBS Sports/NFL DraftScout's last update was February 23, before the Combine had finished, which makes it a bit confounding. GBN is another good board to look at.

I commend your effort. It's such a crapshoot, though. The boards are all over the place, even in the 1st round, not to mention later on. It's pretty hard to set a lot of store by these rankings.

Main reason for doing this was to eliminate the players that, imo, will not be available to us at 32. I am fairly confident (although every year there are surprises) that those 20 will be gone by the time we draft. That's what I was trying to accomplish, although it is probably very wrong :D

Main reason for doing this was to eliminate the players that, imo, will not be available to us at 32. I am fairly confident (although every year there are surprises) that those 20 will be gone by the time we draft. That's what I was trying to accomplish, although it is probably very wrong :D

At least one draftik thinks Brandon Scherff could slip out of round 1:

17. Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa (8)

Love his aggressiveness and strength at the point of attack in the run game, and his nasty nature is something that every NFL O-line coach would love to have in his room. However, some serious questions have risen about his ability to play tackle in the NFL. His stock, which was as high as top five at one point, has dropped fast, and he will have to have great individual workouts to remain in the first round. For a big man, he moves easily and his athleticism should help in his development in pass protection.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...t-version-3-022315?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:nflonfox

That's a pretty good board. I'm not crazy about taking a guard at 32. But, Cam Erving can be your back-up C on your game day 46. Jake Fisher might give you insurance if you can't sign Solder to a long term deal after 2015 season. Still like Odighizuwa. Because, I've got Hightower lining up at LDE in our nickel quite a bit. With Collins and Mayo holding down lb. Sliding Diggy inside. Would give you 4 athletes running qb's down late in games and halfs; Chandler Jones, Easley, Diggy and Hightower. Mayo and Collins are good blitzers. Hightower can drop off into coverage. A lot of flexibility with those 6. I am wondering if Preston Smith might be able to do the same too.

CBS just now updated their list, just an fyi.

Mariota from 5 to 3
Fowler from 9 to 4
Beasley from 15 to 6
Dupree jumped to 14
Strong to 22
Odighizuwa to 25

Gregory dropped from 3 to 9
Scherff from 6 to 11
Landon Collins from 11 to 19

Last edited:
Looks like ESPN did too.

CBS just now updated their list, just an fyi.

Mariota from 5 to 3
Fowler from 9 to 4
Beasley from 15 to 6
Dupree jumped to 14
Strong to 22
Odighizuwa to 25

Gregory dropped from 3 to 9
Scherff from 6 to 11
Landon Collins from 11 to 19

Byron Jones from 253 to 78 (#31 CB to #10) on CBSSports. That will get higher. He's #33 on ESPN.

Ali Marpet #80 on CBS Sports, #94 on ESPN. Marcus Hardison #101 on CBS Sports and #84 on ESPN.

Both CBS Sports and ESPN have Davis Tull in their top 100.

Last edited:
Byron Jones from 253 to 78 (#31 CB to #10) on CBSSports. That will get higher. He's #33 on ESPN.

Ali Marpet #80 on CBS Sports, #94 on ESPN. Marcus Hardison #101 on CBS Sports and #84 on ESPN.

Both CBS Sports and ESPN have Davis Tull in their top 100.

I've noticed that ESPN react a little too well to new info like Tull's performance. Just getting invited to the combine had them vault Corey Crawford into the second round.

BTW, I was amazed at how far he looked at the combine considering how lean he looked on tape. Either he's let himself go or he and his agents are trying to get him to be seen as a 5-tech.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back