PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Positional Rankings and Top 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
PonyExpress said:
Kiwanuka at #67? :confused:

I think Kiwanuka is largely overrated and is a 1 dimensional pass rusher with 1 pass rush move that will be a situational player at best in the NFL.

How controversial of you; I assume this is a rating of actual talent, not a media-biased placing of players. That's very refreshing.

QB: Vince Young is #1. This is possible, but only if Young goes to a team that will use his talents.

HB: You don't like Maroney or Addai very much, do you? I actually agree with you, Drew is going to be a great pro.

WR: No love for Moss? Oh well, I prefer Stovall to him anyway.

IL: What has impressed you about Mark Setterstrom?

DE: Interesting list. I've never even heard of the 4th guy, Victor Adeyanju.

CB: You like Marshall over Williams, interesting.

Overall, very interesting and a refreshing new look on the draft that evaluates on actual talent, not projected placement in the draft. We'll look back at this at the end of next season.

LetsGoPats36 said:
I think Kiwanuka is largely overrated and is a 1 dimensional pass rusher with 1 pass rush move that will be a situational player at best in the NFL.

If he's a one-dimensional pass rusher how do explain why he has most tackles for loss against the run of all DEnds in the nation over the last two seasons? He got lucky?

LetsgoPats,
Overall I enjoyed your rankings and I can tell you put alot of thought into them. Sorry for my chippy tone re: Kiwanuka but I've become exasperated with the sudden collapse of his standing across the mock spectrum. I look forward to your next mock.:)

drpatriot said:
How controversial of you; I assume this is a rating of actual talent, not a media-biased placing of players. That's very refreshing.

QB: Vince Young is #1. This is possible, but only if Young goes to a team that will use his talents.

HB: You don't like Maroney or Addai very much, do you? I actually agree with you, Drew is going to be a great pro.

WR: No love for Moss? Oh well, I prefer Stovall to him anyway.

IL: What has impressed you about Mark Setterstrom?

DE: Interesting list. I've never even heard of the 4th guy, Victor Adeyanju.

CB: You like Marshall over Williams, interesting.

Overall, very interesting and a refreshing new look on the draft that evaluates on actual talent, not projected placement in the draft. We'll look back at this at the end of next season.

Appriciate the feedback and the compliments. I really do try to form MY opinions the best I can without listening to any media garbage by watching as much college football as I possibly can.

QB:
I've watched probably 13 or 14 of Young's starts over the last 2 years and a similar number of Leinart's, and I can tell you that Young has entirely much more upside and I think he brings a lot more to the table. Regardless of what you may hear, Young has a good arm that improved a ton from sophomore to junior year. he can make most of the deep throws and arm strength is something a quarterback can always improve on. He really reminds me of a young Steve McNair or Donovan McNabb, back when those two would threaten to run but still be pass first quarterbacks.

RB:
Addai never did it for me and only gained the starting role this year by virtue of an injruy to Alley Broussard. he may be a good spell back, but he never jumped out to me as a starter. I think Maroney is entirely too soft to be an effective back in the NFL. he doesn't have the toughness to carry the ball 20+ times in the NFL.

WR:
moss's stock got way overblown by a couple plays at the senior bowl. he is a great 3-4 round prospect, but I really dont thikn he deserves to go in the first or second. However, I do think he'll land in the first two rounds because receivers always get overrated come draft day.

IL:
Setterstrom impressed me so much every time I tuned in to watch Minnesota. most of the time I watched the Gophers, I made a point of focusing on Maroney, but Setterstrom always distracted me. He is a great pull guard and is clearly fundamentally sound. Biggest knock against him is his strength, which is a positive to me because when players come in the NFL strength is something almost every player improves.

DE:
Adeyanju is really an interesting prospect who has tons of upside and potential. He's a terrific athlete, but is still raw and learning the game. He improved a lot every year and he really stood out to me on the field. He has the athleticism to play OLB, especially in a 3-4 system, but he has the frame to be a defensive end if he adds on a few pounds and gets stronger.

CB:
I like Marshall more than Williams, but I also like Williams a lot. I think Marshall has the potential to be the better pure cornerback, and I think Williams is going to have to be basically a cover 2 corner. Marshall has the ability to be effective in man and zone.

again, thanks for the feedback, its great to hear that readers enjoy what I write.

PonyExpress said:
LetsgoPats,
Overall I enjoyed your rankings and I can tell you put alot of thought into them. Sorry for my chippy tone re: Kiwanuka but I've become exasperated with the sudden collapse of his standing across the mock spectrum. I look forward to your next mock.:)

hey man, its fine, I was just glad you took the time to respond. in regards to Kiwanuka I still think he lands in the second round, which is good. I know he had great production in college, but teams started figuring him out more his senior year and his production dropped. I have him rated lower than some because I dont think he has the athleticisim to simply dominate tackles in the NFL like he did at BC. If he adds a couple different pass rushing moves to his resume, who knows, he could turn out great down the road.

The guys I've been taking the most heat for are:

Tye Hill
Laurence Maroney
and
Maurice Drew

I think Hill is one of the more overrated players in the draft in a long time. I don't think he has much if any upside, and I hate his style play because he is restricted to man coverage only.

I already explained why I don't like Maroney.

I have Maurice Drew so high because I think he could be one of the 3 best offensive threats in this years draft. People who say hes too small to contribute and won't be able to handle touching the ball more than 10 times a game are simply wrong. He averaged something like 23 touches his junior year at UCLA (returns, rushes, receptions) and has been dominating against high level competition since his days at De La Salle high school in CA. A competent spell back would be needed if Drew is your starting back, but if the ball gets in his hands 15-20 times a game, you are guarenteed at least a couple of big plays. Also, he is undersized, but he is built like an absolute rock and has deceptive strength and power. He ran over defenders consistently in college.

LetsGoPats36 said:
teams started figuring him out more his senior year and his production dropped

uniquely coinciding with being injured and playing hurt

Flying Fungi said:
uniquely coinciding with being injured and playing hurt

His injuries played a part in, but he still started every game and his production took a significant hit.

Regardless, I still don't think he has the athleticism or the repetoire of moves to be a dominant pass rusher in the NFL.

I know there are a lot of BC fans on here, and that I would take heat for having Kiwanuka lower than average, but thats where I felt he deserved to be ranked.

LetsGoPats36 said:
His injuries played a part in, but he still started every game and his production took a significant hit.

Regardless, I still don't think he has the athleticism or the repetoire of moves to be a dominant pass rusher in the NFL.

I know there are a lot of BC fans on here, and that I would take heat for having Kiwanuka lower than average, but thats where I felt he deserved to be ranked.

no worries

actually, I went to UVM (no football program in 30 years) and UNH (DivII) and my brother is a Holy Cross alum...so there isn't a BC bone in my family...

I just think that the guy will be a heck of a player in the NFL...

LetsGoPats36 said:

LGPF,
Kiwanuka missed the Wake Forest game. Are you sure you want to dismiss all Kiwi fans as BC fans? there are some of us out here who actually like how the guy plays football...

fair enough, shouldnt have passed judgement that you two were BC fans, but there is still a large portion on BC fans on this board, so you understand why I said what I did.

Clearly the CUtler to Jackson combo isn't attractive to you. Seriously, I enjoyed the list, but was very surprised at Cutler who could go very high indeed.

LetsGoPats36 said:
http://www.patsfans.com/section-300/node/98

Leave all feedback, comments, and insults ;)

Seriously though, I'd love to hear all comments on it.

mgteich said:
Clearly the CUtler to Jackson combo isn't attractive to you. Seriously, I enjoyed the list, but was very surprised at Cutler who could go very high indeed.

Thanks for the feedback.

I completely expect Jay Cutler to be drafted high-mid first round, but I dont think he deserves to be a first round, especially an early one, what so ever.

I understand, kind of like what I thought of Rivers when he came out.

LetsGoPats36 said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I completely expect Jay Cutler to be drafted high-mid first round, but I dont think he deserves to be a first round, especially an early one, what so ever.

Last edited:
I'm not high on Drew, but I'd much rather have Drew at his cost than Bush at his. I'll go over your list soon and give more comments, because judging by this conversation, a lot of work and thought went into this.

QB: Like the ranking of Jacobs. I think it's possible he's the most successful QB out of this draft.

RB: My feelings on Reggie are well known.

WR: Besides Stovall, the other four are in my top 5 list too. I find Stovall to be the second most highly overrated WR in this draft. I would tend to replace him with Moss or Baskett.

S: I think Bing is very overrated.

I really don't have much else to quibble about. Very nice job.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
QB: Like the ranking of Jacobs. I think it's possible he's the most successful QB out of this draft.

RB: My feelings on Reggie are well known.

WR: Besides Stovall, the other four are in my top 5 list too. I find Stovall to be the second most highly overrated WR in this draft. I would tend to replace him with Moss or Baskett.

S: I think Bing is very overrated.

I really don't have much else to quibble about. Very nice job.

Thanks a lot, appriciate the feedback.

Everyone is going to have at least a couple differences in their rankings, so its good to see when people at least agree with your rankings for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back