PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Plea to All Patsfans

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if my feelings strike you as too "sentimental." But for a game of this magnitude, it deserves these emotions.

Even before this amazing season of 07-08, our dynasty has been something we really could never have predicted. Winning 3 superbowls in 4 years was amazing, and the rise of Belichick and Brady has been something of a dream. The past half decade has provided us with enough memories to last a Patriots fans lifetime.

Looking back on our teams history, the prospect of going 18-0, let alone 19-0, was simply unfathomable.

Thinking that our QB and WR would break the TD records of their respective positions was something that never even crossed our mind.

And to do both in a single season? Just like I did in the beginning of the season, I would have called bull****.

This Sunday something far more than "special" could happen. For an NFL team, especially in the salary cap era, to go undefeated and win the Superbowl (and break various records in the process) is an achievement that has never happened before and might never happen again. Moreover, it is an achievement that will stand alone in sports history and for many, touch emotions and lives far more than people thought a sports game ever could.

So this Sunday, instead of reading into who the "best" QB of all time is, or listening to sports "experts" decide if the Pats team really is the best ever, take a moment to step back and look at the big picture.

This Sunday, Patsfans, take a step back and take it all in. What could happen Sunday is a once-in-a-lifetime type thing.

Appreciate the moment. Enjoy it.

This Sunday could (and hopefully will) be something to remember for the rest of our lives.

This Sunday, Patsfans, take a step back and take it all in. What could happen Sunday is a once-in-a-lifetime type thing.

This Sunday could (and hopefully will) be something to remember for the rest of our lives.
If we win, it will be hard to appreciate this season fully, I think. I was talking to my wife last night about "when have you won enough" that you can just look back on this era with absolutely no regret. We aren't there yet - it would be disappointing to win 3 SB in Tommy's first 4 years (of playing) then not win another one. If we win this week, that's almost enough. 4 Super Bowls, and an undefeated season. Wow. That's almost enough. But there's that little thing of the record for SB wins for both a coach and QB being 4. If we win this, we'll be one away from Belichick and Brady being the sole holders of 5 SB wins for a Coach and a QB. Just like Brady and Moss breaking their records together, if we can win this week then win one more to give the team 5, have an undefeated season thrown in and have Belichick and Brady both being the leaders as HC and QB respectively for most SB wins - then I think I could say there would be absolutely nothing to look back at with regret for me. The perfect decade for a football fan.

If we win, it will be hard to appreciate this season fully, I think. I was talking to my wife last night about "when have you won enough" that you can just look back on this era with absolutely no regret. We aren't there yet - it would be disappointing to win 3 SB in Tommy's first 4 years (of playing) then not win another one. If we win this week, that's almost enough. 4 Super Bowls, and an undefeated season. Wow. That's almost enough. But there's that little thing of the record for SB wins for both a coach and QB being 4. If we win this, we'll be one away from Belichick and Brady being the sole holders of 5 SB wins for a Coach and a QB. Just like Brady and Moss breaking their records together, if we can win this week then win one more to give the team 5, have an undefeated season thrown in and have Belichick and Brady both being the leaders as HC and QB respectively for most SB wins - then I think I could say there would be absolutely nothing to look back at with regret for me. The perfect decade for a football fan.

Yes, but my argument is that, as difficult as it may seem, you need to try to enjoy this year (and dynasty) in the moment.

Superbowls are great to look back on, and that perfect decade you mention would also be great (obviously more than great) to think back on. But the challenge is to enjoy it now, enjoy this superbowl and all of its many connotations because when you both enjoy the season in the moment first and then enjoy it in hindsight..well thats special.

I said after 2001 that if they never did another thing in my lifetime we were square.

I realize I'm in the minority. For me this is all gravy when you put it in perspective. I want them to win for themselves, not me, because of all they put into it and because they deserve it. I'm all set.

Funny that you mention the "when have you won enough" comment. I was talking to a Chargers fan after the AFCC and that was his comment after going on and on about how close the Chargers were to a SB berth and how rare it is for his team. My thoughts were yeah, we are going to the SB, but there is something bigger here. A chance at history. Have we won enough? 3 SB in 4 years is great, but no we have not won enough. There is much more to do to become undeniably the greatest dynasty in the history of the game.

I apologize in advance if my feelings strike you as too "sentimental." But for a game of this magnitude, it deserves these emotions.
Thanks, you just made me more nervous. Not to be a b****, but hasn't your message been put in here about 10 to the eighth times already? I think so.

I like to think big, too. Winning championships is addictive, and the level of expectations this Brady-Belichick combination has set is unreal. For any other team, sure, after ONE Super Bowl win, you're probably feeling pretty content.

With these guys, you're upset if they don't come away with a ring any given year. I'm not going to apologize for being spoiled or having expectations that high b/c I sure as hell know the players aren't. Let's just enjoy the ride.

Which is easier said than done. I think down the stretch, my attitude, as a fan, has been a lot more anxiety than excitement, so I can only imagine how the players feel. If we win, it'll be a cathartic release of all the expectations and pressure that has followed this team around.

If we lose, from my personal standpoint, it'll probably be the most discouraging loss since the 03 Red Sox in terms of the amount of emotional involvement I feel with this team. That's what it's all about though. The way I look at it, is if you're going to be a true fan, you basically have to go all in, accept that if you lose, you're going to feel like shyt for a little while (or, if you're talking 03 ALCS or 06 AFCCG, a looong while) and actually allow a sport - something that people that don't understand you might just say "it's just a game" about - to truly affect your mood and your life. If you don't make that commitment, you don't deserve to celebrate when they win.

And so on that same point, as I said above, I really feel like as a fanbase, we at patsfans have put a lot into this season and the team, and that this will be as rewarding a victory as there can be if we do achieve 19-0 on Sunday, and I do think we will.

Last edited:
I said after 2001 that if they never did another thing in my lifetime we were square.

I realize I'm in the minority. For me this is all gravy when you put it in perspective. I want them to win for themselves, not me, because of all they put into it and because they deserve it. I'm all set.
I don't disagree with anything you said. One was "enough" and the three we have now is more than I ever hoped for, let alone what was expected.

However these players have just about put themselves into another stratosphere and it would be a damn shame to see them not quite get there - as you say, for them. I want to see Bruschi and Harrison in tears again (for the right reason) and Belichick and Brady holding the trophy again.

Nothing for nothing but if I live to be 100 and racked with Alzheimer's I'll be lucky if I remember the Super Bowl win was on a Sunday but I guarantee I remember her name was Kathy, it was a Thursday night, and her parents were out of town that week.

Mo is right, I grew up with the Russell, Havlicek, Bird Celts and the Orr Bruins. With the resurgence of the Celts, 3 SBs and not one but two Red Sox titles the latter two owe me nothing for some time. And in my opinion, even if they win Sunday it will be nothing like the first one.

this is going to be the season that people will be saying " I remember when the Pats went undefeated"

I totally agree. My Grandpa was a huge sports fan. He was spoiled by the Celts through both Russell and Bird. He loved the Pats and followed them from Day 1. His greatest passion was the Sox. He lived his entire life just wanting 1 from the Red Sox and 1 from the Pats. He got them both and died in 2005.

My Grandpa was the greatest man ever. I'd like to think I can be like him, but I REALLY want this one. Not because I'm greedy, but because of the outright foolishness of this season. I've never seen such inane rage and jealousy in my life. I've never seen millions of people lose all sense of logic and thought at the same time as I did with Spygate.

These guys deserve this. I will be absolutely crushed if they don't get it. Not for me, for them.

I said that too, but I guess I was lying to myself. Every subsequent year I've said to no one in particular, "just let them win this one and I won't ask for another." Now I don't even bother. I've come to know that I'm a greedy SOB. I think I will relax about it more when BB and Tom leave.

4 is not enough, 5 is not enough, 6 is not enough..... the next one is enough

I agree with both sides.
I am totally in sync with Bradys attitude when asked which Championship is the best one and he says 'the next one'.

However, we need to recognize that vicaruously we are partipating in the best season a football team has ever had.

Once its over, though, I will begin thinking how great 2 consecutive 19-0s would be.

Nothing in sports will ever equal how I felt when the Patriots decided to drive down the field vs the Rams and win the Super Bowl. I had seen the Celtics win and this was better. When the Red Sox won I was excited but 2001 was better. When we win on Sunday I will be all smiles ... a great accomplishment ... but 2001 was better and will always be the best for me. Nothing in my sports lifetime will be better ... not even when we win #10. :D

Last edited:
Nothing in sports will ever equal how I felt when the Patriots decided to drive down the field vs the Rams and win the Super Bowl. I had seen the Celtics win and this was better. When the Red Sox won I was excited but 2001 was better. When we win on Sunday I will be all smiles ... a great accomplishment ... but 2001 was better and will always be the best for me. Nothing in my sports lifetime will be better ... not even when we win #10. :D

I have to admit when the game got tied up the thought creaped into my head that "not again..... it's slipping away. we had this game" and the kick to win was surreal... just couldn't believe it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes