PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My plan or what it's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you a BLT it does, Hes classicly overrated and underproducing. Hes a trade steal(in our favor) waiting to happen.

I agree. he's way overrated. i'd trade his ass now while he's quite young and get some REAL value for him.

Seymour is the best 3-4 DE in the league and BB does not trade fellas like that.

I've been thinking for the past couple of years that he isn't one of the best anymore, and that he is on the downslope of his career. Not exactly sure why, other than the frequency with which he seems to be playing hurt and thus not producing what we've come to expect.

I hadn't even considered a trade until reading this thread, but hmmmm.....

I will take that bet. Seymour is the best 3-4 DE in the league and BB does not trade fellas like that.

When I win I'll give the B to my assistant for a year-end bonus.
Seymour was the best 3-4 DE in the league and BB does trade fellas like that

I've been thinking for the past couple of years that he isn't one of the best anymore, and that he is on the downslope of his career. Not exactly sure why, other than the frequency with which he seems to be playing hurt and thus not producing what we've come to expect.

I think his biggest problem is hegotpaiditis

2007 was definitely a down year for him. I thought that 2008 was a quiet excellent year.

2007 was definitely a down year for him. I thought that 2008 was a quiet excellent year.

Agreed he was a BEAST last year especially w/ Warren hurt as much as he was.. I thought he was the best I have seen him in the last couple of years.. and especially w/ a full off season of rest and working out.. it's on in this year!

Where did you see that the franchise number for Wilfork next year would be $6 M? Was this discussed in another thread? For franchise number purposes are NT and DT the same thing?

If true, that would be interesting. I had already assumed we would keep Wilfork one way or another, but thought he might be asking for money like Seymour got the first time. Also, I'm sure he'll use the Haynesworth contract in negotiations as a benchmark. I really want him to stay, but there are all these teams switching to 3-4 who don't have a decent NT and could be willing to throw some money his way.

BTW, my guess is Seymour refuses to take a pay cut and leaves after the season.

In 2009 the DT franchise tag number (yes it does include NTs) was $6M. The DE number was $9M. I'm guessing that neither number will change significantly.

I just found this link which is much happier (more full of data) than my old link.

In 2010, Dwight Freeney's deal should increase the DE tag by about $800K, while Julius Peppers signing a non-franchise tag deal could lower the DE number by $1M or more.

I am not aware of any other deals that will have a huge impact on these two tags, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some.

Importantly, Albert Haynesworth's deal will not have a significant impact on his 2009 number, which will still be slightly over $7M. The biggest chunk of his compensation is a >$20M guaranteed option bonus due in 2010, which comes too late to affect the 2010 nonexclusive franchise tag number.

I agree, except at the WR position, which has been very spotty for the Pats in past drafts. I would rather pick up an FA WR.

as for Seymour, I believe that BB will select a DE at 23 or early in the 2nd.

If you don't mind I see too many here with their cranium inserted into to their cloacal cavity.

BB doesn't have a top ten pick to invest in a replacement for Seymour even if most drafts don't have a HOF defensive end that can excel in either the 3-4 or 4-3.

There is no one on the the roster that can take his place. Where is the interior DL to get its fair share of sacks to help the OLBs? The three sacks provided by everyone else?

Since you guys want to do that, I suggest we trade Tom Brady, after all we have Matt Gutierrez who can easily take his place; or maybe we draft one in the sixth round who would certainly be his equal.

Your comments about RS are of the same order of stupidity. I'd much rather lose Wilfork a good player than Richard Seymour the key to the DL, who is a future first ballot HOFer. And so would Bill Belichick.

Who trades Alan Pages, Merlin Olsens, Dan Hamptons, Bob Lillys or Joe Greens... NOBODY! Only Reggie Wright walked at 36-37 and he still gave Green Bay its first SB since Lombardi, thirty years earlier.

If you don't mind I see too many here with their cranium inserted into to their cloacal cavity.

BB doesn't have a top ten pick to invest in a replacement for Seymour even if most drafts don't have a HOF defensive end that can excel in either the 3-4 or 4-3.

There is no one on the the roster that can take his place. Where is the interior DL to get its fair share of sacks to help the OLBs? The three sacks provided by everyone else?

Since you guys want to do that, I suggest we trade Tom Brady, after all we have Matt Gutierrez who can easily take his place; or maybe we draft one in the sixth round who would certainly be his equal.

Your comments about RS are of the same order of stupidity. I'd much rather lose Wilfork a good player than Richard Seymour the key to the DL, who is a future first ballot HOFer. And so would Bill Belichick.

Who trades Alan Pages, Merlin Olsens, Dan Hamptons, Bob Lillys or Joe Greens... NOBODY! Only Reggie Wright walked at 36-37 and he still gave Green Bay its first SB since Lombardi, thirty years earlier.

The Patriots have an amazing defensive line. Replacing Seymour with an inferior player would significantly reduce the quality of that line. But you can buy some serious talent for the $10M+ per year that it will cost to keep Seymour long term. Seymour is not irreplaceable. If the opportunity presents itself to trade Seymour for significant (at least a first) compensation, and groom a successor, I think we should take it.

If Seymour retired right now, he wouldn't be going to the HOF. Whether he is able to continue playing at a high enough level for long enough to make it is something that depends largely on him. I think he is going to chase a big payday, and we'll have to watch him from afar when he goes to some team which gives him a Haynesworth style deal and comes to regret it.

1. Resign Wilfork
2. Draft best 3-4 hybrid DE at 23. I would give a name here but there are several I would be happy with us taking.
3. With one of the picks in the 2nd round, take Jarron Gilbert to replace Seymour next yr. Not just because of his jumping out of the pool Youtube video either. He's 6'5" 290 with room to add weight. I'm no going to lie, all I have seeen are his highlights, and heard of his strong showing at the Senior Bowl. His strength and explosion make him an ideal 3-4 end. This also frees up a lot of cap room for next season, assuming there is a cap.
4. Take best available WR (Hicks would be nice) and another 3-4 OLB (best available) with other 2 picks in 2nd.
5. Jasper Brinkley in 3rd. I think he is going to be a 3-4 MLB in the mold of Ted Johnson with more speed. Not somebody you want in coverage a great deal, but a tremendous run stuffer. Great compliment to Mayo. Was a stud in 07 but injured his knee and had a subpar year in 08. I think with a full yr off of his injury, he could be steal in the 3rd.
6. Aside from these picks, depth at OL and resigning Mankins should also be high priorities.

What do you think?

You forgot about drafting a safety. And I'd emphasize the need for a passrushing OLB a lot higher. But as a basic plan, your points do make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes