PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Plan For the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavfan2390

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
welcome to my fantasy (but totally realistic) offseason plan for the one, and only NE PATS.

Free Agents
Stephen Neal (Guard) re-sign
Tom Ashworth (Tackle) re-sign
Adam Vinatieri (Kicker) GONE
Matt Chatham (Linebacker) re-sign
Don Davis (Linebacker) re-sign
Tim Dwight (Wide Reciever) re-sign
David Givens (Wide Receiver) GONE
Heath Evans (Fullback) re-sign
Andre' Davis (Wide Receiver) re-sign
Michael Stone (Safety) gone
Hank Poteat (Cornerback) gone
Chad Scott (Cornerback) gone
Christian Fauria (Tight end) gone
Jarvis Green (Defensive End) re-sign
Randall Gay (Corner) re-sign
Troy Brown (WR) re-sign

Cut players
Duane Starks (Cornerback)
Chad Brown (Linebacker)
Matt Chatham (Linebacker)
Guss Scott (Safety)
Tyrone Poole (Cornerback)
Bethel Johnson (Wide Reciever)

Players that retire
Doug Flutie (Quarterback)
Rodney Harrison (Safety)
Willi McGinest (linebacker)

The Draft
Round 1 - Antonio Cromartie - CB -
Round 2 - Martin Nance - WR -
Round 3 Ravens - Taitusi Lutui - OG -
Round 3 - Terna Nande- OLB -
Round 4 Lions - Dwayne Slay - SS -
Round 4 -Connor Hughes- K -
Round 5 - Travis Leffew- OT -
Round 6 - Kwakou Robinson - DT -
Round 7 - Brandon Johnson - OLB -

BIG Free Agent signings
Tank Willams (Safety)
Angelo Crowell (ILB)

Depth Chart
QB - Tom Brady- Matt Cassel- VET HERE
RB - Corey Dillon- Kevin Faulk- Patrick Pass- Heath Evans
3DRB - Kevin Faulk
FB - Patrick Pass- Heath Evans
WR - Deion Branch- Andre Davis- Tim Dwight
WR - Martin Nance- Andre Davis- Troy Brown
TE - Ben Watson -Daniel Graham- VET
OT - Matt Light
OG - Logan Mankins
C - Daniel Koppen ...........................Neal/ Ashworth/ Free Agents
OG - Taitusi Lutui
OT - Nick Kazcur

-----

DE - Richard Seymour/ Jarvis Green
DT - Vince Wilfork / Kwakou Robinson
DE - Ty Warren / Jarvis Green
OLB - Mike Vrabel, Terna Nande
MLB - Tedy Bruschi, Angelo Crowell,
OLB - Rossy Colvin, Brandon Johnson
CB - Antonio Cromartie, Asante Samuel, Randall Gay
CB - Ellis Hobbs, Asante Samuel, Randall Gay
FS - Eugene Wilson, Dwane Slay, Randall Gay
SS - Tank Williams/ Harrison, Dwayne Slay, Randall Gay
K - Connor Hughes - Josh Miller
KR - Ellis Hobbs - Tim Dwight
PR - Troy Brown
LOS - Lonnie Paxton
2006 record - 13-3

the patriots have several needs, first they must find a wide reciever to replace givens (who trust me, will be overpayed by someone) we can either look at someone like antonio bryant or we can use the draft, here we get nance, who has an unbelievably combo of size, speed, etc.

secondly the patriots need a good corner/ safety, they can address this need either through the draft, or through free agency (nate clements and charles woodson are two of the bigger names that are available), if they are unable to lure a good free agent they MUST address this in the draft with their first round pick if they cant lure a good safety/ corner, i see cromartie going to the patriots, third, the patriots need youth at the linebacker and running back positions, they can address this by signing angelo crowell, and drafting another in the later rounds,

If your plan comes true, I will throw up each and every day for the rest of the year.

mavfan2390 said:
welcome to my fantasy (but totally realistic) offseason plan for the one, and only NE PATS.

Free Agents
Troy Brown (WR) re-sign

Cut players
Chad Brown (Linebacker)
Guss Scott (Safety)

Players that retire
Rodney Harrison (Safety)

The Draft

BIG Free Agent signings
Tank Willams (Safety)
Angelo Crowell (ILB)

Depth Chart
3DRB - Kevin Faulk
OT - Matt Light
OG - Logan Mankins
OG - Taitusi Lutui
OT - Nick Kazcur

-----

PR - Troy Brown
LOS - Lonnie Paxton
2006 record - 13-3

QUOTE]

couple of thoughts....

first, what a horrible set of receivers...i hope the fortress around brady is solid, cuz he's going to be spending a lot of time there waiting for a receiver to come open

second, we are going to get thrashed playing a 3 - 3 defense.

ayjackson said:
couple of thoughts....

first, what a horrible set of receivers...i hope the fortress around brady is solid, cuz he's going to be spending a lot of time there waiting for a receiver to come open

second, we are going to get thrashed playing a 3 - 3 defense.

That 3/3 is a killer i hear. Willie will not retire. He will restructure. He cannot go out in this manner. Rodney will not retire, pup/ir if anything.

i hope too that Rodney will not retire and i think that Willie will play again one year.

let's hope so...

Didn't Jarvis Green resign last year?

(Edit) Yeah he is signed thru 2009.

Last edited:
No love at all for the greatest clutch kicker in NFL history?

He's more irreplaceable than almost anyone on the team.

Turd Furguson said:
No love at all for the greatest clutch kicker in NFL history?

He's more irreplaceable than almost anyone on the team.

it would be much easier to replace adam then brady, bruschi, seymour, rodney, light, vrabel, branch, watson ............

I stopped reading when I saw a kicker in the 4th round. Hahaha.

Interesting speculation. The 1st thing I'm skeptical about is that we stay put in the draft or use all of our draft picks. That in itself makes an exercise like this truly difficult but it also gives us less draftees to work with. In addition if we had 6 out of 9 picks from a draft put in significant starting time, I would probably kill myself. I do like how you've tried to make the money work by releasing some of the veterans, but I'm not sure if things would work out financially. Time will tell.

It's quite tough to sign Angelo Crowell when he re-signed with the Bills in December through 2008.

"second, we are going to get thrashed playing a 3 - 3 defense."

LMFAO..Jeez..I didnt even catch that when I was going through this dudes Defensive Depth Chart..LMFAO...Wow...a 3-3..ive never seen a 3-3-5 used as a teams Main D.Would be interesting but yah...I would hate to ever see a RB in the opponents backfield coming our way.Some of these are good suggestions.But Most are simply rediculous.How the hell are you even a patriots fan typing some of that crap?

I hate how some people think college players are the best thing since sliced bread, and they can start and will be an upgrade.

Give me a break. I hate college football, yes, but the endless threads on all these completely random "potentional" draft picks is just plain dumb.

Repeat after me:

"Your former college deities are not nearly as good as you think."

I can also see Flutie retiring, yes, but it's a lot less likely Rodney will (barring a major setbeck in his rehab), and very unlikely Willie will.

The abominable Antonio Cromartie, Taitusi Lutui, and Martin Nance will be the hands setting up the amazingly clutch Connor Hughes for the Super Bowl Winner.

Yeah, sure. Try the 45-55th men on the roster. It's not the mighty Brandon Johnsons, Nidickwadeakakyka Kiasfdafjkljewnaks who will be on the team. They're bottom of the barrel as soon as they step on the Patriots' pratice field. The talent drop from the NFL to the NCAA is dizzying.

And so the Gene Mruczkowski's, Guss Scott's, James Sanders', the Ray Ventrone's, the Eric Alexander's, the Bam Childress', and the Ryan Claridges' are just supposed to lie down and die?

They're already 10 steps ahead of these college fakes. But these are no-name players, you say! Well, that pretty much sums up how much college sports are incredibly over-hyped. The majority of draft picks are likely to end up as these 'no-name' players in a year or too. I find it absurd how they're ALMOST ALL projected to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING in the NATIONAL FOOTALL LEAGUE. It takes NEAR-PERFECT players to build a team, in more aspects than one.

And as I say this, I switch it over to ESPNews. And there, of course, is some idiot over-analyzing these insanely spoiled college athletes. Scrappiness? Yeah, OK. Supporting your school is one thing, but it's easy to mistake the NCAA on TV as if Duke is in the NBA. That's what makes these teams so liked outside of their fanbases.

Or for another example, take the front page of ESPN today. "Signing Day!" Who the hell cares? What's next, "Jimmy Smith walks-on to Glendale High's basketball team, and 1 minute in a 57-52 loss to Mountain Tech! It's amazing!"

You want names? Here's some names (and they've all been Pats draft picks in the past 5 years):

T.J. Turner, LB, Mich. St.
Owen Pochman, K, BYU
Leonard Myers, CB, Miami
Arther Love, TE, S.C. State
Hakim Akbar, S, Washington
Jabari Holloway, TE, Notre Dame
Brock Williams, CB, Notre Dame
Antwoine Womack, RB, Virginia
Spencer Nead, TE, BYU
Kliff Kingsbury, QB, Texas Tech
Christian Morton, CB, Florida St.
Andy Stokes, TE, William Penn

Oh man, they just strike fear in the hearts of the Pats' opponents...from their living room couches! Drafting is like fish laying eggs. You're going to get a few in a thousand that will actually grow into a mature fish.

Last edited:
mavfan2390 said:

Free Agents
Troy Brown (WR) re-sign

Cut players
Chad Brown (Linebacker)
Guss Scott (Safety)

Players that retire
Rodney Harrison (Safety)

The Draft

BIG Free Agent signings
Tank Willams (Safety)
Angelo Crowell (ILB)

Depth Chart
3DRB - Kevin Faulk
OT - Matt Light
OG - Logan Mankins
OG - Taitusi Lutui
OT - Nick Kazcur

-----

PR - Troy Brown
LOS - Lonnie Paxton
2006 record - 13-3

the patriots have several needs, first they must find a wide reciever to replace givens (who trust me, will be overpayed by someone) we can either look at someone like antonio bryant or we can use the draft, here we get nance, who has an unbelievably combo of size, speed, etc.

secondly the patriots need a good corner/ safety, they can address this need either through the draft, or through free agency (nate clements and charles woodson are two of the bigger names that are available), if they are unable to lure a good free agent they MUST address this in the draft with their first round pick if they cant lure a good safety/ corner, i see cromartie going to the patriots, third, the patriots need youth at the linebacker and running back positions, they can address this by signing angelo crowell, and drafting another in the later rounds,

The Worst Offseason plan I have ever seen! Martin Nance? Antonio Cromartie in the first round? And to cap it all off your BIG Free Agent signings Tank Willams (Safety) and Angelo Crowell (ILB). WOW! Thank god your not our GM. With that team they will be lucky to be 8-8. Good lord! That is a really irritating post!

fisticuffs said:
The Worst Offseason plan I have ever seen! Martin Nance? Antonio Cromartie in the first round? And to cap it all off your BIG Free Agent signings Tank Willams (Safety) and Angelo Crowell (ILB). WOW! Thank god your not our GM. With that team they will be lucky to be 8-8. Good lord! That is a really irritating post!

And the fact Crowell isn't even a F.A. makes it funnier.

Also, I find it hard to believe Tank Williams is a "BIG" free agent signing. He hasn't done **** since his knee injury last year. Also was arrested for a DUI.

Last edited:
No offense mavman, but if this list turns out to be true, it would make me sick.

Willy retire? Doubt it. The man just broke the record for most sacks in a playoff game and you think he's gonna retire?

The Pats letting Adam go? Can't see that happening either. PR disaster even for a team with 3 SB rings. We love Adam.

Harrison Retire. Not is your you'rre going by what he's been saying to the press. This man is determined to be back.

Doug Flutie retire? Oh well. So sad. buh bye. Great Career, though. Hats off.

But having said all that, I believe this would still be a real good football team if you're right.

I know. I'm a freakin homer.

The offseason is young but this will likely be in the bottom ten rosters. Much has already been said, but let me start with bb's rookie rules.

1) don't count on them to start, unless absolutely necessary.
2) don't count on them to contribute in their first year, unless they were picked in the top 10 of the first round.

We were close to the SB. We were a team that no one wanted to play. You would cut the veterans and rebuild as if we had gone 6-10. Curiously, you would end up with your wish. With the team chosen, this would be Year One of a re-building campaign that looks like it were designed by Grier.

I think I would rather trade all my picks for 2007 picks rather than accept your draft.

pats1 said:
I hate how some people think college players are the best thing since sliced bread, and they can start and will be an upgrade.

Give me a break. I hate college football, yes, but the endless threads on all these completely random "potentional" draft picks is just plain dumb.

Repeat after me:

"Your former college deities are not nearly as good as you think."

I can also see Flutie retiring, yes, but it's a lot less likely Rodney will (barring a major setbeck in his rehab), and very unlikely Willie will.

The abominable Antonio Cromartie, Taitusi Lutui, and Martin Nance will be the hands setting up the amazingly clutch Connor Hughes for the Super Bowl Winner.

Yeah, sure. Try the 45-55th men on the roster. It's not the mighty Brandon Johnsons, Nidickwadeakakyka Kiasfdafjkljewnaks who will be on the team. They're bottom of the barrel as soon as they step on the Patriots' pratice field. The talent drop from the NFL to the NCAA is dizzying.

And so the Gene Mruczkowski's, Guss Scott's, James Sanders', the Ray Ventrone's, the Eric Alexander's, the Bam Childress', and the Ryan Claridges' are just supposed to lie down and die?

They're already 10 steps ahead of these college fakes. But these are no-name players, you say! Well, that pretty much sums up how much college sports are incredibly over-hyped. The majority of draft picks are likely to end up as these 'no-name' players in a year or too. I find it absurd how they're ALMOST ALL projected to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING in the NATIONAL FOOTALL LEAGUE. It takes NEAR-PERFECT players to build a team, in more aspects than one.

And as I say this, I switch it over to ESPNews. And there, of course, is some idiot over-analyzing these insanely spoiled college athletes. Scrappiness? Yeah, OK. Supporting your school is one thing, but it's easy to mistake the NCAA on TV as if Duke is in the NBA. That's what makes these teams so liked outside of their fanbases.

Or for another example, take the front page of ESPN today. "Signing Day!" Who the hell cares? What's next, "Jimmy Smith walks-on to Glendale High's basketball team, and 1 minute in a 57-52 loss to Mountain Tech! It's amazing!"

You want names? Here's some names (and they've all been Pats draft picks in the past 5 years):

T.J. Turner, LB, Mich. St.
Owen Pochman, K, BYU
Leonard Myers, CB, Miami
Arther Love, TE, S.C. State
Hakim Akbar, S, Washington
Jabari Holloway, TE, Notre Dame
Brock Williams, CB, Notre Dame
Antwoine Womack, RB, Virginia
Spencer Nead, TE, BYU
Kliff Kingsbury, QB, Texas Tech
Christian Morton, CB, Florida St.
Andy Stokes, TE, William Penn

Oh man, they just strike fear in the hearts of the Pats' opponents...from their living room couches! Drafting is like fish laying eggs. You're going to get a few in a thousand that will actually grow into a mature fish.

I agree! It is amazing the number of fans who think "they" can find talent from the draft that will succeed in the NFL. There are people who have been doing nothing but scouting players for years and they don't get it right more than 50% of the time.

The bottom line when evaluting players, every one of them on a NFL team is a special athlete and deserves to be there. College players have been playing against boys, the NFL is men. Very few can make the next step. If there is a marginal player in the NFL, at least you know what you have. Draft picks are unknowns.

texpat said:
I agree! It is amazing the number of fans who think "they" can find talent from the draft that will succeed in the NFL. There are people who have been doing nothing but scouting players for years and they don't get it right more than 50% of the time.

The bottom line when evaluting players, every one of them on a NFL team is a special athlete and deserves to be there. College players have been playing against boys, the NFL is men. Very few can make the next step. If there is a marginal player in the NFL, at least you know what you have. Draft picks are unknowns.

With all due respect, an educated football fan can look at a college player and make the determination whether or not they can succeed in the NFL to a degree. I am 100% on board that college stardom does not translate to NFL success. Your Danny Wuerffels, Jason Whites, Josh Heupels, Ken Dorseys, etc. prove that. But, there are certain attributes you can look for when drafting. A guy like Brady who, while I have a personal bias because we are friends, has intangibles and a smart head is a good fit for the NFL. I knew he would make a good pro QB (though I couldn't foresee this level of success). Someone like Wuerffel not so much, he played in a system designed for big numbers, and lacked NFL skillset. I knew when we played Shaun Alexander in the Orange Bowl, he had NFL skills. I also knew when we played Ron Dayne that he wouldn't be a star in the league. To totally dismiss college football is foolish. There is a very high level of play in major college football, and guys that can step in and make an immediate impact. I have a HUUUUUUUGE soft spot for the college game given my background, and love college football more than the NFL (slightly).

Last edited:
Ick

If you're planning a roster for Madden 2006, this could work for you. Otherwise, all I can say is [sick noises]...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes