PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Patriots Big Board

Big Board (Part Two)

4th Round

Key depth prospects. If they end up starting, they may be upgradeable.

21. Jordan Howard, RB, Indiana
22. Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama
23. Connor Mcgovern, OL, Missouri
24. Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota
25. Keivarae Russell, CB, Notre Dame
26. Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame
27. Malcolm Mitchell, WR, Georgia
28. Willie Henry, DT, Michigan
29. Charone Peake, WR, Clemson
30. Rashard Higgins, WR, Colorado State
31. Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford
32. Joe Haeg, OT, N. Dakota State

Day Three

Solid day three picks, but not priority day 3. These project to be roster depth. Anything beyond that is a bonus. They are ranked but the ranking here is less important than in earlier rounds.

33. Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU
34. Justin Simmons, S, Boston College
35. Kalan Reed, CB, S. Mississippi
36. Ryan Smith, CB, N. Carolina Central
37. James Bradberry, CB, Samford
38. Sean Davis, S, Maryland
39. Stephen Anderson, TE, California
40. Cody Core, WR, Ole Miss
41. Chris Moore, WR, Cincinnati
42. Daniel Braverman, WR, W. Michigan
43. Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford
44. Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose State
45. Daniel Lasco, RB, California
46. Kelvin Taylor, RB, Florida
47. Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia
48. Nick Kwiatkowski, LB, Virginia Tech
49. Tyvis Powell, S, Ohio State
50. Blake Martinez, LB, Stanford
51. David Morgan II, TE, Texas- San Antonio

Late Day 3/UDFA

Back end of roster or practice squad. They are ranked but the ranking here is less important than in earlier rounds.

52. Kevin Peterson, CB, Oklahoma State
53. Chris Swain, FB, Navy
54. Keenan Reynolds, WR/RB, Navy
55. Ronald Zamort, CB, W. Michigan
56. Sterling Bailey, DL, Georgia
57. Ricardo Louis, WR, Auburn
58. Brandon Wilds, RB, S Carolina
59. Peyton Barber, RB, Auburn
60. Dan Vitale, HB, Northwestern
61. Stephen Weatherly, EDGE, Vanderbilt
62. D.J. Foster, RB/WR, Arizona State
63. Jake Mcgee, TE, Florida
64. Dillon Lee, LB, Alabama
65. Steven Daniels, LB, Boston College
66. Blake Countess, CB, Auburn

Last edited:
Four current members of the Patriots were on my big board last year (Jackson, Mason, Roberts and Justin Coleman). I'm still annoyed I didn't include Malcom Brown, Jordan Richards, Joe Cardona and David Andrews. I hope to do a little better this year if I can.

Right, my Patriots big board is all but finalised. There will be minor changes between now and the draft but not much of significance. If there is, I'll mention it.

Some notes:

• I have really tried to restrict myself. There are only 66 names here and I've left off prospects that I quite like. I have been as strict with myself as possible.
  • There are three criteria that I've tried to use. Firstly, if I really like them. Secondly, if there has been significant contact with the Pats. Thirdly, if I think they are a good athletic or character fit.
  • Team need is factored in. For example, I have Leonte Carroo ahead of Sterling Shepard although I prefer Shepard's tape. However, I think there's a greater need for an outside WR, hence the bump for Carroo.
  • Within each tier, I've tried to rank prospects. However, this is more important for the early rounds. The tiers, rather than the rank within tiers, are more relevant in later rounds.

Big Board (Part One)

Mid Round 2

Project to be key starters in future years. Could contribute successfully in year one if called upon. If they fall to the middle of the second, they're worth trading up for.

1. Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
2. Jonathan Bullard, DL, Florida
3. Chris Jones, DL, Mississippi State
4. Shalique Calhoun, EDGE, Michigan State
5. Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

Notes:

Spriggs gets a bump because of positional need. I'd probably rank Bullard and Jones ahead of him otherwise.

Round 2

Project to be key starters in future years but there is more risk to that projection. Additionally, there could be some developmental time needed. I don't think they're worth trading up for.

6. Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
7. Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
8. Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
9. Artie Burns, CB, Miami

Round 3

Significant role player/backup at worst. Could be a good starter but there's no guarantee they will start. Should trade back from 61 for the top ranked of these guys (see break) or wait intil 91.

10. Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU
11. Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn
12. Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech
13. Joshua Perry, LB, Ohio State
14. Jordan Jenkins, EDGE, Georgia
15. Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
16. Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers
-----------------------------
17. Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
18. CJ Procise, RB, Notre Dame
19. Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
20. Jihad Ward, DT, Illinois

Note: I give the edge to Hawkins over Coleman and Clark because he's the better scheme fit as he already plays in a pro-style zone blocking scheme. He's also been worked out by Dante which gives him an edge. Jonathan Williams would be a round higher if not for his injury.

See Part two for more.

Will Redmond (CB) seems like the kind of risk that Belichick takes. When is he worth taking, if at all?

Four current members of the Patriots were on my big board last year (Jackson, Mason, Roberts and Justin Coleman). I'm still annoyed I didn't include Malcom Brown, Jordan Richards, Joe Cardona and David Andrews. I hope to do a little better this year if I can.

Insanely excellent job with this year's big board projection. Great job!

I think you nailed it!

I like the players you picked, they all have a tape that shows various skillets that bb loves.

Will Redmond (CB) seems like the kind of risk that Belichick takes. When is he worth taking, if at all?

He's one I might miss out on but Keivarae Russell is my 'risky pick". Apparently Redmond works out on April 18th. If he does, I might include him.

I didn't follow college at all last year and with the theft of the Pats' 1st rounder by the NFL* I am behind the curve here, but is anyone concerned about Derrick Henry being from Alabama?

Their recent RB alumni have been abysmal. They look gr8 on college and underwhelming in the pros.

Sorry mgteich, responded to the wrong post, but the question still stands.

Right, my Patriots big board is all but finalised. There will be minor changes between now and the draft but not much of significance. If there is, I'll mention it.

Some notes:

• I have really tried to restrict myself. There are only 66 names here and I've left off prospects that I quite like. I have been as strict with myself as possible.
  • There are three criteria that I've tried to use. Firstly, if I really like them. Secondly, if there has been significant contact with the Pats. Thirdly, if I think they are a good athletic or character fit.
  • Team need is factored in. For example, I have Leonte Carroo ahead of Sterling Shepard although I prefer Shepard's tape. However, I think there's a greater need for an outside WR, hence the bump for Carroo.
  • Within each tier, I've tried to rank prospects. However, this is more important for the early rounds. The tiers, rather than the rank within tiers, are more relevant in later rounds.

Big Board (Part One)

Mid Round 2

Project to be key starters in future years. Could contribute successfully in year one if called upon. If they fall to the middle of the second, they're worth trading up for.

1. Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
2. Jonathan Bullard, DL, Florida
3. Chris Jones, DL, Mississippi State
4. Shalique Calhoun, EDGE, Michigan State
5. Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

Notes:

Spriggs gets a bump because of positional need. I'd probably rank Bullard and Jones ahead of him otherwise.

Round 2

Project to be key starters in future years but there is more risk to that projection. Additionally, there could be some developmental time needed. I don't think they're worth trading up for.

6. Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
7. Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
8. Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
9. Artie Burns, CB, Miami

Round 3

Significant role player/backup at worst. Could be a good starter but there's no guarantee they will start. Should trade back from 61 for the top ranked of these guys (see break) or wait intil 91.

10. Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU
11. Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn
12. Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech
13. Joshua Perry, LB, Ohio State
14. Jordan Jenkins, EDGE, Georgia
15. Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
16. Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers
-----------------------------
17. Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
18. CJ Prosise, RB, Notre Dame
19. Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
20. Jihad Ward, DT, Illinois

Note: I give the edge to Hawkins over Coleman and Clark because he's the better scheme fit as he already plays in a pro-style zone blocking scheme. He's also been worked out by Dante which gives him an edge. Jonathan Williams would be a round higher if not for his injury.

See Part two for more.

Whether I agree with you or not manx you do a great deal of work and do the board a big service. I'm not a believer in PFF and don't give their views any credence but I think you go well beyond their input and take a number of resources into account in coming to your conclusions. Props on the effort, greatly appreciated.

Whether I agree with you or not manx you do a great deal of work and do the board a big service. I'm not a believer in PFF and don't give their views any credence but I think you go well beyond their input and take a number of resources into account in coming to your conclusions. Props on the effort, greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. I do go further than PFF but I do take some of their views into account. Remember that three of our draft picks last year were on their top 10 value picks list. And they're right about Kalan Reed this year too. They are about the only site that have talked Reed up - NFL.com don't even have him listed as one of their CBs. But like I said, I don't rely soley on them.

Sorry if I'm supposed to know this, but what's the sign in?

I did some tinkering with my big board. Still needs more work and film watch and further evaluation. It is a few steps behind where Manx is but for what it's worth I'll throw it out there. This will have no strict order between players except for when i put one player in he same position above another in the same bracket.

Mid 2nd - Trade up players

Jason Spriggs - OT
Vernon Butler - DT
Kyle Fuller - CB - based on injury info. This is in flux.

Bottom second

Sterling Shepard - WR
Shon Coleman - OT
La'Raven Clark - OT
Artie Burns - CB
Carl Nassib - DE
Kenny Clark - DT

Top half 3rd

Jonathan Bullard - DT/DE
Cyrus Jones - DT
Kyle Fackell - OLB
Will Redman - CB

Bottom half 3rd

Joe Haeg - OT
Chris Jones - DT
Charone Peake - WR
Keyarris Garrett - WR
Baxton Miller - WR
Jaylon Smith - OLB
Scooby Wright - OLB
Jordan Jenkins - OLB

4th

Tyler Matakevich - ILB
Kyle Murphy - OT
CJ Prosise - RB
Sheldon Day - DT
Kenny Lawler - WR

5th

Jayron Kearse - SS
Adam Gotsis - DT
Devon Cajuste - WR/TE
Jonathan Jones - CB

6th-7th

Travis Feeney - OLB
De'Vondre Campbell - OLB
Moritz Boehriger - WR
Devon Cajuste - WR/TE
Wendall Williams - WR
Stephen Weatherly - DE
DJ Foster - RB
Peirce Slater - OT
Nile Lawrence-Stample - DT
DJ Reader - DT
Luther Mandy - DT

All i have right now so still needs some work.

Last edited:
I did some tinkering with my big board. Still needs more work and film watch and further evaluation. It is a few steps behind where Manx is but for what it's worth I'll throw it out there. This will have no strict order between players except for when i put one player in he same position above another in the same bracket.

Jason Spriggs - OT
Vernon Butler - DT

Bottom second

Sterling Shepard - WR
Shon Coleman - OT
La'Raven Clark - OT
Artie Burns - CB
Carl Nassib - DE
Kenny Clark - DT

Top half 3rd

Jonathan Bullard - DT/DE
Cyrus Jones - DT
Kyle Fackell - OLB
Will Redman - CB

Bottom half 3rd

Joe Haeg - OT
Chris Jones - DT
Charone Peake - WR
Keyarris Garrett - WR
Baxton Miller - WR
Jaylon Smith - OLB
Scooby Wright - OLB
Jordan Jenkins - OLB

4th

Tyler Matakevich - ILB
Kyle Murphy - OT
CJ Prosise - RB
Tyler Higbee - TE
Sheldon Day - DT
Kenny Lawler - WR

5th

Jayron Kearse - SS
Adam Gotsis - DT
Devon Cajuste - WR/TE
Jonathan Jones - CB

6th-7th

Travis Feeney - OLB
De'Vondre Campbell - OLB
Moritz Boehriger - WR
Devon Cajuste - WR/TE
Wendall Williams - WR
Stephen Weatherly - DE
DJ Foster - RB
Peirce Slater - OT
DJ Reader - DT
Luther Mandy - DT

All i have right now so still needs some work.

Very interesting. If you have more work to do, can I suggest you do them on RBs. Considering the need we have at the position, I'd be concerned about going into the draft with only one on my board ;)

We have a few differences, most notably, Jonathan Bullard, but we've discussed that. It will be interesting to see where you end up.

Very interesting. If you have more work to do, can I suggest you do them on RBs. Considering the need we have at the position, I'd be concerned about going into the draft with only one on my board ;)

We have a few differences, most notably, Jonathan Bullard, but we've discussed that. It will be interesting to see where you end up.

Yeah i plan to revisit him more cause i do respect your opinion and want to give him a 2nd and 3rd look. I need to do more RBs but honestly i just don't like the idea of spending a 2nd or 3rd on one unless the class is exceptionally good.

I wouldn't kick myself over not including them. Malcom Brown wasn't expected to last until 32, Richards and Carbona should not have been draft in any round at all, and Andrews wasn't anyway.

I wouldn't kick myself over not including them. Malcom Brown wasn't expected to last until 32, Richards and Carbona should not have been draft in any round at all, and Andrews wasn't anyway.

But Richards, Cardona were BB type guys and Andrews was worked out by BB. And I had a top 50 grade on Brown so I should have stuck with that grade. Live and learn.

Yeah i plan to revisit him more cause i do respect your opinion and want to give him a 2nd and 3rd look. I need to do more RBs but honestly i just don't like the idea of spending a 2nd or 3rd on one unless the class is exceptionally good.

They'll need someone to run between the tackles. If you don't want to spend a high pick on a between the tackles guy, take a look at Brandon Wilds (S. carolina) or Peyton Barber (Auburn).

Been over 2 weeks since my last Big board. This might be my final one going into the draft or i might do one last revision the day before. Ideally I would like to be at 75 names but still need to add near 20 so i doubt i will : (

Jonathan Bullard - DT/DE* (Always like the player but now the need is there)
Jason Spriggs - OT
Vernon Butler - DT

Bottom second

Sterling Shepard - WR
La'Raven Clark - OT (I now like him over Shon Coleman)
Shon Coleman - OT
Artie Burns - CB
Carl Nassib - DE
Kenny Clark - DT

Top half 3rd

Cyrus Jones - CB
Hassen Ridgeway - DT
Kyle Fackell - OLB
Will Redman - CB

Bottom half 3rd

Kenneth Dixon - RB
Joe Haeg - OT
Chris Jones - DT
Charone Peake - WR
Baxton Miller - WR
Jaylon Smith - OLB
Scooby Wright - OLB
Jordan Jenkins - OLB

4th

Jordan Howard - RB
Paul Perkins - RB
Jonathan Williams - RB
Tyler Matakevich - ILB
Cole Toner - OT
Kyle Murphy - OT
Sheldon Day - DT
Kenny Lawler - WR
Keyarris Garrett - WR
KeiVarae Russell - CB
Jonathan Jones - CB

5th

Jayron Kearse - SS
Adam Gotsis - DT
Devon Cajuste - WR/TE
Jonathan Jones - CB
DeAndre Washington - RB
Daniel Lasco - RB
CJ Prosise - RB
Tavon Young - CB

6th-7th

Travis Feeney - OLB
De'Vondre Campbell - OLB
Trevor Davis - WR
Moritz Boehriger - WR
Wendall Williams - WR
Stephen Weatherly - DE
DJ Foster - RB
Peirce Slater - OT
DJ Reader - DT
Luther Mandy - DT
Ike Harris - OT

Overall fairly underwhelmed by the RB class and don't think the Pats should spend a high pick on when when i think the talent is elsewhere to be had.

Last edited:
Been over 2 weeks since my last Big board. This might be my final one going into the draft or i might do one last revision the day before. Ideally I would like to be at 75 names but still need to add near 20 so i doubt i will : (

Jonathan Bullard - DT/DE* (Always like the player but now the need is there)
Jason Spriggs - OT
Vernon Butler - DT

Bottom second

Sterling Shepard - WR
La'Raven Clark - OT (I now like him over Shon Coleman)
Shon Coleman - OT
Artie Burns - CB
Carl Nassib - DE
Kenny Clark - DT

Top half 3rd

Cyrus Jones - DT
Kyle Fackell - OLB
Will Redman - CB

Bottom half 3rd

Kenneth Dixon - RB
Joe Haeg - OT
Chris Jones - DT
Charone Peake - WR
Baxton Miller - WR
Jaylon Smith - OLB
Scooby Wright - OLB
Jordan Jenkins - OLB

4th

Jordan Howard - RB
Paul Perkins - RB
Jonathan Williams - RB
Tyler Matakevich - ILB
Cole Toner - OT
Kyle Murphy - OT
Sheldon Day - DT
Kenny Lawler - WR
Keyarris Garrett - WR
KeiVarae Russell - CB
Jonathan Jones - CB

5th

Jayron Kearse - SS
Adam Gotsis - DT
Devon Cajuste - WR/TE
Jonathan Jones - CB
DeAndre Washington - RB
Daniel Lasco - RB
CJ Prosise - RB
Tavon Young - CB

6th-7th

Travis Feeney - OLB
De'Vondre Campbell - OLB
Trevor Davis - WR
Moritz Boehriger - WR
Wendall Williams - WR
Stephen Weatherly - DE
DJ Foster - RB
Peirce Slater - OT
DJ Reader - DT
Luther Mandy - DT
Ike Harris - OT

Overall fairly underwhelmed by the RB class and don't think the Pats should spend a high pick on when when i think the talent is elsewhere to be had.

Excellent list. I'm working on my final BB as I'm writing this. Some that jump out at me:

1.CJ Prosise in the 5th. That seems a little low to me.

2. Chris Jones in the 3rd. He's arguably one of the highest upside DTs in the draft . I'll have him much higher

3. I have Bullard atop my board too. Nice!

4. Not a Sean Davis fan then?

Fascinating list. We differ on a bunch but agree on a lot too.

Excellent list. I'm working on my final BB as I'm writing this. Some that jump out at me:

1.CJ Prosise in the 5th. That seems a little low to me.

2. Chris Jones in the 3rd. He's arguably one of the highest upside DTs in the draft . I'll have him much higher

3. I have Bullard atop my board too. Nice!

4. Not a Sean Davis fan then?

Fascinating list. We differ on a bunch but agree on a lot too.

Well if we agreed on everything where would the fun in that be?

Yeah i am just not that high on CJ Prosise. I don't see the upside there. He looks okay and all but is already pretty close to maxed and i see him as barely above JAG level so not worth a big investment.

I like Chris Jones is a player I will want to watch a bit more but his tape just did not jump out to me like i thought it would. I think he suffers from being a bit of a tweener. Not quite small and fast enough to be truly sudden and not big or strong enough to plug and collapse. I do like that he can do both but i think he kind of has a bit of ineffectiveness living between 2 worlds and idk if he could ever play 1 style really well. I want to see what everyone else does but i just don't.

I always like Bullard as a player when i saw him 2 months ago particularly as a pass rushing DT but before Easley left i felt he would be kind of redundant with us. Now his skill set is exactly what we need. His first step is crazy fast for 285 lbs and he reminds me a lot of Easley in that. I am still not convinced like you are that he can be a very good DE as well when bounced outside but at this point i am not all that concerned about that cause what he can do from DT on passing downs is so devastating and something the Pats now lack.

Not a Sean Davis fan. To big and stiff to be a good CB but he is probably going to be a pretty good safety. We just don't need a safety right now. Maybe he could find a Brandon Browner like CB role for himself with some teams but i don't think that fits what the patriots tend to do that well right now especially with Chung doing so well on the TEs which you would probably want Davis to do so it feels kind of redundant for us to have him.

You know I always value your list and i plan to be wrong about a lot of guys this year just like i was last year and the year before that... and the year before that. Should be fun!

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back