PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Patriots 7 Round Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

the wrothbroughterer

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Sorry to pile it on, there have been a lot of these lately.

Goals:
  • Draft a 34DE
  • Draft a 34OLB
  • Improve the Pass Rush
  • Add to the TE position
  • Add depth and size to the WR corps
  • Add athletic players to the offensive line
  • Focus on players capable of playing multiple positions or playing in multiple schemes
  • Bring in athletic players with speed
  • Add depth to the defensive front 7
  • Get better on special teams

Without any trades being done, this is how I would make the selections. I'm throwing this in their because judging whether a trade is feasible or not from the draft chart seems less than accurate so a baseline of the picks I would make seems necessary.

1-22: Jared Odrick DE Penn State
2-12: Ricky Sapp OLB Clemson
2-15: Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech
2-21: Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona
4-21: Selvish Capers OT West Virginia
6-21: Colin Peek TE Alabama
6-XX: Edward Wang OT Virginia Tech
7-21: Zoltan Mesko P Michigan
7-25: Deji Karim RB Southern Illinois
7-XX: Danny Batten LB South Dakota State
7-XX: Jameson Konz TE/FB/LB Kent State
7-XX: Sean Lissimore DL William and Mary

Below is my mock with trades. Below there is an explanation of my logic on each and the link for where I got the values for each selection is found here.

Trades:
  • NE trades 1-22-53 to DAL for 1-27, 3-27, 6-27
  • NE trades 2-21-53 and 7-21 to CLE for 3-7 and 3-28
  • NE trades 2011 3rd Round Pick to SF for 4-15

The first trade gives DAL the opportunity to move up ahead of GB and take an OT before all the really good ones are off the board. We get another 4th rounder and slide down 5 spots where we should still be able to nab Jared Odrick for a presumably cheaper salary. We give up 51 points worth of draft value but I don't think it's realistic to get DAL to give up 3 picks nor would they sacrifice a 1st and a 3rd to move up 5 spots in the 1st. I flirted with the idea of swapping 1st round picks and picking up their 3rd for our 4th but in this draft I like the idea of more selections.
Trade values: NE gives up 780(1-22) for 680(1-27) and 49(4-27); NE gives up 51 points

The next trade is kind of tricky, in terms of trade values it matches up favorably for CLE but to me it seems like we come out way ahead. We give up our pick in the 2nd(53 overall) and our 7th (roughly 213 with the compensation picks) for 2 of their 3rd round picks. They need talent badly on that team and 2 2nds might go further for them than 3 3rds. I initially wanted Rob Gronkowski with the 53rd but backed off because of injury concerns.
Trade Values: NE gives up 370(2-21) and 6.2(7-21) for 235(3-7) and 132(3-28); NE gives up 9.2 points

This one I'm very skeptical of myself but after researching some draft trades it seems like a fair deal. I couldn't find a value chart for future picks but the 15th selection in the 4th round is worth 72 points.

When all the dealing is done the Pats will have picked up 2 3rds and 2 4ths giving them 8 selections in the first 4 rounds compared to 5 initially.

1-27-27: Jared Odrick DE Penn State 6'5", 304lbs, 5.03
Jared Odrick fills the void of a true 34DE left by the Seymour trade. Jarvis Green was a great situational player but he wasn't by any means a viable starter for this defense and that really showed when Baltimore ran right over him for a TD on the first play of that god awful playoff game. Consistently beat double teams in college. He's not a flashy pick, but he is definitely a smart one. With Mike Wright as the closest thing to a starting DE on the roster, he should start right out of the gate.

2-12-44: Ricky Sapp OLB Clemson 6'4", 252lbs, 4.65
Ricky Sapp has all the measureables of a protoypical 34OLB with the ability to play 3 downs right out the gate provided he is able to learn the system. While its questionable he can set the edge, Rosevelt Colvin (6'3", 250) was a pretty successful player for us with less impressive physical attributes. He should be able to provide a pass rush, but his contributions in that department come with some doubt and it would be wise to further address the pass rush later on.

2-15-47: Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech 6'3", 224lbs, 4.59
Demaryius Thomas is far and away my favorite reciever in this draft despite his flaws as a route-runner and lack of experience in an NFL style offense. His combine 40 time wasn't great but his highlight reels from Youtube and whatnot show very good game speed. He's got all the makings of a top tier WR and with Tom Brady throwing to him we could see some fireworks this year.

3-07-71: Eric Decker WR Minnesota 6'3", 217lbs, 4.54
Eric Decker was a player I wasn't really excited about until his Wonderlic results came out and I took the time to check out his highlight reels. He reminds me of a big Wes Welker. Very physical, doesn't shy away from contact, not afraid to go up for the ball, and is apparently a genius. His 40 times and game speed aren't world breaking and thus he looks like more of a possession reciever. However as a big target running opposite from Moss that can sit in the soft spots of zone coverage and beat smaller CBs physically when 1-on-1, he seems like the perfect addition to the passing game.

3-28-92: Dennis Pitta TE BYU 6'4", 249lbs, 4.59
Dennis Pitta fills the obvious need at TE. He's a good athlete although a little undersized and is an above average blocker and pass catcher. Looks like he plays as a larger version of Dallas Clark with less finesse and more power after the catch. Has experience lining up in the slot in shotgun formations which could help create great mismatches with nickelbacks underneath. And coming from BYU I doubt there will be any character issues.

4-15-XXX: Austen Lane DE/OLB 6'7", 276lbs, 4.84
The addition of Ricky Sapp helps plug the hole at OLB but it may not solve the problems with the pass rush. This team still needs a pass rusher and hopefully Austen Lane will give them what they're missing. With his size and athleticism he should be able to play the Rush LB in 3-4 fronts and the 43DE. He's relatively slow for a OLB so he's going to be strictly limited to pass rush situations but with his size off the edge he could be a nightmare for TEs and a good fight for Ts.

4-21-XXX: Selvish Capers OT West Virginia 6'5", 308lbs, 5.11
Time for the annual draft of an OL in the middle rounds. At 6'5" and a lean 308 he profiles more like a G than a T for the Patriots and that's exactly why I picked him. The interior of the line seems to be in greater need of an overhaul relative to the exterior and the addition of a player with the athleticism of a T playing G could reap big benefits in the run game. The 19 reps on the bench are very worrisome and I think that's going to cause him to drop but over time he should develop better strength.

4-27-XXX: Javier Arenas CB Alabama 5'9", 197lbs, 4.52
This pick signifies a move for depth at the CB position but more importantly gives our special teams a much needed upgrade. I hate our return guys, I don't think that any one of them is dangerous or has any ability to break a return for a big gain and if it did happen there was probably sloppy coverage and great blocking. I hate that Wes Welker was our primary return guy, to me it was a completely unnecessary risk to have him get lit up every now and then because he was the best PR on the team. This needs to change and Javier Arenas is the solution to the problem. He's the 2nd leading return man in the history of the NCAA (maybe the 1st, I know he had a chance to break the record during the championship game) and while he certainly isn't overly talented as a CB, he's another body to throw out there in nickel and dime situations if necessary. I think his return abilities more than make up for his inadequacies as a DB.

Continued on next post.

6-21-XXX: Colin Peek TE Alabama 6'5", 252lbs, 4.92
With the Crumpler signing and the selection of Pitta in the draft there are 2 TEs on the roster and we could use 1 more. So I went with Colin Peek from Alabama. He's got good size although he is slow for the position, blocks well and can catch and to me profiles as a TE in goal line sets and Double TE sets. Last year I noticed that when we went with heavy formations we used 3 T, and this prohibited us from doing much outside of running the ball. The entire procedure just spelled out the play completely for the defense He could also be a player on ST with his blocking abilities.

6-COMP: Edward Wang OT Virginia Tech 6'5", 314lbs, 5.18
I went with the OL again with the 6th round compensatory pick and selected Edward Wang from Virginia Tech. Much like Capers he played T in college but has good speed for a T, is a leanish 314lbs, and could be a good player if moved inside. Plus his last name is hilarious.

7-25-XXX: Zoltan Mesko P Michigan 6'5", 240lbs, 4.79
There's no P on the roster so lets take one in the draft, and one with a kick ass name. Zoltan Mesko, get measured for a Pats uni. He's a cold weather P which I think makes him much more appealing than other available P. The salary will be dirt cheap as a rookie 7th round P, and he's huge and suprisingly a good athlete. He's got the body of a TE and at 6'5" I'm imagining a lot of players running into his long legs after he finishes kicks resulting in 1st downs for us.

7-COMP: Sean Lissimore DL William and Mary 6'3", 297lbs, 4.83
At this point in the draft I shifted the focus to the freakish athletes from small schools and the first one I'm selecting is Sean Lissimore from William and Mary. He's stupidly strong (225 press 36 times beat out Suh, McCoy, and Price), ran a 4.83 40-yard, and a 30" vertical. He could play 34DE and 43DT with his weight and speed despite being a tad short. It might be interesting to see with that low 4.8 speed if he can be a stand up pass rusher off the edge.

7-COMP: Jameson Konz TE/FB/LB Kent State 6'4", 234lbs, 4.43
The last selection is Jameson Konz from Kent State. 4.38-4.43 40 speed, a 46" vertical jump, and a broad jump of 10'8.25", he's basically a carbon copy of Taylor Mays. At the very least he's a ST super star and I think that given time he could be a WR. If he can stick around Belichick will have a field day with his athleticism.

7-COMP: LaMarcus Coker RB Hampton 5'11", 205lbs, 4.39
Loads of talent but a head case. Still there is no better time to take a risk than in these late rounds. He was a recruit for Tennessee but was dismissed from the school after failing his 4th drug test. Thankfully it was only for pot and nothing more extreme or damaging. Certainly you have to wonder how clueless someone could be to let that happen but maybe getting kicked out of school served as a wake up call and has forced him to get his **** together. The talent is definitely there, he led Tennessee in rushing as a true freshman and led the MAC in rushing yards this past year. He's a different kind of back for us in that he's more of a burner than a power/cutback runner.

Impact:
  • A more complete defense with players capable of running in both a 34 and 43 defense
  • A true 34DE to step in for Jarvis Green
  • Depth and fresh legs at OLB
  • An impressive influx of athleticism into the defensive from 7
  • A complete TE corps with players capable of being included in multiple sets
  • A stronger ST with improvements in the return game, coverage, and punting
  • By my count there are 7 players capable of being used in multiple packages
  • Influx of athletic bodies on the OL, while their both projects they provide a safety net down the line
  • Players capable of providing a pass rush off the edge
  • A very deep and potentially extraordinarily dangerous WR corps

Notes: I decided to shy away from taking a RB with any of the picks because this an incredibly weak class for RBs and I just don't see any way there is going to be a pick with any good value. A depth move makes more sense to me than trying to find a real addition to the running game. I fully expect that to be taken care of next year with the Raiders pick. If the stars align and the Raiders suck, the CBA disputes are solved, and Mark Ingram comes out for the draft as a junior we should see our problems at RB come to an end. Granted its a lot that needs to happen but we have the luxury of letting things play out before we need to make a decision on that pick.

I really like what the Decker/Thomas selections can bring to the table. Decker provides a more polished, possession receiver presence and Thomas gives us someone who can stretch the field. There is a lot of flexibility now in terms of personnel and packages that can be run. I haven't forgotten about Brandon Tate, I just don't think he'll end up cracking into rotation at WR and getting consistent time, although I'm more than confident in his ability as a kick returner given he's healthy. Also, I feel like its worth noting that Tate had 46 career receptions in college and also had 26 career rushing attempts that he averaged an impressive 11.3 yards on. If he's healthy maybe he can provide some sort of Percy Harvin-esque wing back presence. But that might also require some creative thinking on offense and that seemed to be hard to come by last year.

I tried really hard to find players that would fall into certain rounds in the draft and more specifically, particular parts of rounds. This is really the toughest part and I understand there are a probably few reaches both in terms of taking players too early and expecting others to stay on the board too long, but overall I think it's a fairly accurate.

You did allot of work there, so nice job on that. I agree with much of your approach. Not a big fan of a few of the names. But, nice work looks good.

we need more of a sure thing than 2 position coversions for OG....while neal is back, the guy is hurt more than not......I'd prefer a real OG

I don't believe odrick will be there at 22.....I think he is gone by steelers at 18.......graham in round 1 and tyson alualu in round 2......

regarding austen lane....he is too slow to cover, so he is simply a DE and not an OLB......you won't be fooling anyone if he doesn't put his hand on the ground

the rest looks pretty good

I understand the logic behind moving down to get more picks but I'd rather have 3 picks in 2nd than 4 in the 2nd and 3rd combined. If this draft is as deep as the talking heads suggest then much of the 2nd will be composed of what would have been first round talent in other years.

The slide down from 22 to 27 in the first round to pick up a 3rd I have no problem with. Of course, if CJ Spiller was somehow still on the board at 22 then I'd want us to take him or squeeze out more than a 3rd and 6th in exchange for moving down in the first.

Last edited:
It might not be a bad idea to cash in the chip of the Raiders pick next year for picks this year. I don't know realistically we could expect to get for it but I would think a second and third this year, or maybe a third and fourth? I don't wanna go thru the season cursing everytime the raiders win a game. Cash that chip now I say.......:confused:

I've made my feeling known on Odrick. I don't HATE the pick, but I doubt he'll be an impact player. To me, at best he'd develop into a decent run stopper, but that's a one or two down position these days.

Also, while I love the idea of getting a third round pick, I question adding SO many new player. Remember we added a huge amount last season, and McKenzie, Brace, Crable, and Tate are virtual rookies coming in this season. I'd rather we draft around 10 guys this year, and move a couple of picks into next season. As it is, I think there is only room for 5 or 6 rookies this year, so regardless of WHO we draft, more than half of them won't make the team.

I do like the idea of trading down into the late 20's to get a 3rd. and I like your basic philosophy of taking risks on high end small college players late in the draft. I didn't like the taking of 2 WRs in the top 3 rounds. One is fine....and I can even accept a TE, but I really would like to take shots at finding the next Elvis D. The more shots we take at it the more likely we'll find SOMEONE who can make an impact on the rush.

I've made my feeling known on Odrick. I don't HATE the pick, but I doubt he'll be an impact player. To me, at best he'd develop into a decent run stopper, but that's a one or two down position these days.

That's the opposite of what i think of Odrick. He is much better in passing downs with his ability to penetrate. He'll have a tough time in the running game as he is a non-factor after engaging the block.

I agree with you he wont be an impact player, or at least one we are used to with our other DEs who were selected in the top 13.

Depending on who wants punters, Mesko could actually go as high as the third round.

I hope Konz will be around that late, but 4.4 40 + 46" vertical could entice a lot of teams.

NE trades 2-21-53 and 7-21 to CLE for 3-7 and 3-28

I can't see BB making a trade that could conceivably help CLE (or, for that matter, MIN).

I like a lot of your picks and would attempt a backflip in my living room if Thomas was available (and selected by the Patriots) in the middle of the 2nd round. I don't see the need to give up next years 3 to get a 4 this year. The Patriots end up with 14 picks in your scenario which seems like overkill. I'd rather go without Lane or Capers and still have a 2011 3rd.

Depending on who wants punters, Mesko could actually go as high as the third round.

I hope Konz will be around that late, but 4.4 40 + 46" vertical could entice a lot of teams.

Not to mention his 27 reps of 225 on the bench yesterday at a private workout for the New Orleans Saints, which would have been tops among all WRs and 2nd among TEs at the NFL combine.

He could go as early as the 4th or 5th round given his combination of size, speed, strength, and athleticism. If he shows the ability to consistently catch the ball, he'll move up. A lot depends on how his private workouts go with NFL teams leading up to the draft.

I think Mesko will probably go in the early 4th. He's had a lot of workouts, there's clear interest from around the league. Brent Bowden will probably be gone by the end of the 5th.

To be honest I would re-sign Chris Hansen and let the others fight it out over Mesko and Bowden. This is a deep draft and we'd be better off taking good players who have fallen through the gaps. Bring in some UDFA punters in training camp or use our comp 7ths on one we like. If we really want to upgrade at punter with a draft pick then do it in 2011.

Sorry to pile it on, there have been a lot of these lately.

Goals:
  • Draft a 34DE
  • Draft a 34OLB
  • Improve the Pass Rush
  • Add to the TE position
  • Add depth and size to the WR corps
  • Add athletic players to the offensive line
  • Focus on players capable of playing multiple positions or playing in multiple schemes
  • Bring in athletic players with speed
  • Add depth to the defensive front 7
  • Get better on special teams

Without any trades being done, this is how I would make the selections. I'm throwing this in their because judging whether a trade is feasible or not from the draft chart seems less than accurate so a baseline of the picks I would make seems necessary.

1-22: Jared Odrick DE Penn State
2-12: Ricky Sapp OLB Clemson
2-15: Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech
2-21: Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona
4-21: Selvish Capers OT West Virginia
6-21: Colin Peek TE Alabama
6-XX: Edward Wang OT Virginia Tech
7-25: Deji Karim RB Southern Illinois
7-XX: Danny Batten LB South Dakota State
7-XX: Sean Lissimore DL William and Mary

Below is my mock with trades. Below there is an explanation of my logic on each and the link for where I got the values for each selection is found here.

Trades:
  • NE trades 1-22-53 to DAL for 1-27, 3-27, 6-27
  • NE trades 2-21-53 and 7-21 to CLE for 3-7 and 3-28
  • NE trades 2011 3rd Round Pick to SF for 4-15

The first trade gives DAL the opportunity to move up ahead of GB and take an OT before all the really good ones are off the board. We get another 4th rounder and slide down 5 spots where we should still be able to nab Jared Odrick for a presumably cheaper salary. We give up 51 points worth of draft value but I don't think it's realistic to get DAL to give up 3 picks nor would they sacrifice a 1st and a 3rd to move up 5 spots in the 1st. I flirted with the idea of swapping 1st round picks and picking up their 3rd for our 4th but in this draft I like the idea of more selections.
Trade values: NE gives up 780(1-22) for 680(1-27) and 49(4-27); NE gives up 51 points

The next trade is kind of tricky, in terms of trade values it matches up favorably for CLE but to me it seems like we come out way ahead. We give up our pick in the 2nd(53 overall) and our 7th (roughly 213 with the compensation picks) for 2 of their 3rd round picks. They need talent badly on that team and 2 2nds might go further for them than 3 3rds. I initially wanted Rob Gronkowski with the 53rd but backed off because of injury concerns.
Trade Values: NE gives up 370(2-21) and 6.2(7-21) for 235(3-7) and 132(3-28); NE gives up 9.2 points

This one I'm very skeptical of myself but after researching some draft trades it seems like a fair deal. I couldn't find a value chart for future picks but the 15th selection in the 4th round is worth 72 points.

When all the dealing is done the Pats will have picked up 2 3rds and 2 4ths giving them 8 selections in the first 4 rounds compared to 5 initially.

1-27-27: Jared Odrick DE Penn State 6'5", 304lbs, 5.03
Jared Odrick fills the void of a true 34DE left by the Seymour trade. Jarvis Green was a great situational player but he wasn't by any means a viable starter for this defense and that really showed when Baltimore ran right over him for a TD on the first play of that god awful playoff game. Consistently beat double teams in college. He's not a flashy pick, but he is definitely a smart one. With Mike Wright as the closest thing to a starting DE on the roster, he should start right out of the gate.

2-12-44: Ricky Sapp OLB Clemson 6'4", 252lbs, 4.65
Ricky Sapp has all the measureables of a protoypical 34OLB with the ability to play 3 downs right out the gate provided he is able to learn the system. While its questionable he can set the edge, Rosevelt Colvin (6'3", 250) was a pretty successful player for us with less impressive physical attributes. He should be able to provide a pass rush, but his contributions in that department come with some doubt and it would be wise to further address the pass rush later on.

2-15-47: Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech 6'3", 224lbs, 4.59
Demaryius Thomas is far and away my favorite reciever in this draft despite his flaws as a route-runner and lack of experience in an NFL style offense. His combine 40 time wasn't great but his highlight reels from Youtube and whatnot show very good game speed. He's got all the makings of a top tier WR and with Tom Brady throwing to him we could see some fireworks this year.

3-07-71: Eric Decker WR Minnesota 6'3", 217lbs, 4.54
Eric Decker was a player I wasn't really excited about until his Wonderlic results came out and I took the time to check out his highlight reels. He reminds me of a big Wes Welker. Very physical, doesn't shy away from contact, not afraid to go up for the ball, and is apparently a genius. His 40 times and game speed aren't world breaking and thus he looks like more of a possession reciever. However as a big target running opposite from Moss that can sit in the soft spots of zone coverage and beat smaller CBs physically when 1-on-1, he seems like the perfect addition to the passing game.

3-28-92: Dennis Pitta TE BYU 6'4", 249lbs, 4.59
Dennis Pitta fills the obvious need at TE. He's a good athlete although a little undersized and is an above average blocker and pass catcher. Looks like he plays as a larger version of Dallas Clark with less finesse and more power after the catch. Has experience lining up in the slot in shotgun formations which could help create great mismatches with nickelbacks underneath. And coming from BYU I doubt there will be any character issues.

4-15-XXX: Austen Lane DE/OLB 6'7", 276lbs, 4.84
The addition of Ricky Sapp helps plug the hole at OLB but it may not solve the problems with the pass rush. This team still needs a pass rusher and hopefully Austen Lane will give them what they're missing. With his size and athleticism he should be able to play the Rush LB in 3-4 fronts and the 43DE. He's relatively slow for a OLB so he's going to be strictly limited to pass rush situations but with his size off the edge he could be a nightmare for TEs and a good fight for Ts.

4-21-XXX: Selvish Capers OT West Virginia 6'5", 308lbs, 5.11
Time for the annual draft of an OL in the middle rounds. At 6'5" and a lean 308 he profiles more like a G than a T for the Patriots and that's exactly why I picked him. The interior of the line seems to be in greater need of an overhaul relative to the exterior and the addition of a player with the athleticism of a T playing G could reap big benefits in the run game. The 19 reps on the bench are very worrisome and I think that's going to cause him to drop but over time he should develop better strength.

4-27-XXX: Javier Arenas CB Alabama 5'9", 197lbs, 4.52
This pick signifies a move for depth at the CB position but more importantly gives our special teams a much needed upgrade. I hate our return guys, I don't think that any one of them is dangerous or has any ability to break a return for a big gain and if it did happen there was probably sloppy coverage and great blocking. I hate that Wes Welker was our primary return guy, to me it was a completely unnecessary risk to have him get lit up every now and then because he was the best PR on the team. This needs to change and Javier Arenas is the solution to the problem. He's the 2nd leading return man in the history of the NCAA (maybe the 1st, I know he had a chance to break the record during the championship game) and while he certainly isn't overly talented as a CB, he's another body to throw out there in nickel and dime situations if necessary. I think his return abilities more than make up for his inadequacies as a DB.

Continued on next post.

Really nice job!

My thoughts:
22 Everson Griffen USC OLB
44 Trade with Ariz (58 + 88)
47 Kareem Jackson Alabama CB
53 Alex Carrington Arkansas State DE
58 Jared Veldheer Hillsdale OT
88 Dexter McCluster Mississippi WR
119 Clay Harbor Missouri State FB
190 Clifton Geathers South Carolina DE
205 Marcus Easley Connecticut WR
229 Emmanuel Sanders SMU WR
247 Chris Hawkins LSU CB
248 Corey Peters Kentucky DT
250 Nathan Overbay Eastern Washington OT

I really like a lot of your players and your thinking, I just fear that it's overly optimistic. But if you CAN somehow get Thomas in the mid 2nd (IMO he has a legitimate shot to be the 1st WR off the board), Lane in the 4th, and Mesko, Karim and Konz in the 7th, huzzah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back