PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My opinion after the first three weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has too many runs for losses. He did well today because we were playing against the Bills... He is not someone we want to use a lot in a game against teams like the Steelers, Vikings, Dolphins, etc... He will fail big time. BJGE would be a backup on most teams with better running backs.

I think we need to give Woodhead a shot.

I agree that BJGE isn't as good as he seemed today, but you can't fault him for beating up on a bad team, so I dunno. The other extreme is his 1.9 YPC against the Jets; if he can break 4 YPC against the Dolphins, I'll be pleased with him.

Last edited:
You might have a point if you exclude Welker and Moss. Which no intellectually honest evaluation would do. Throw in Mayo, Meriweather, and Gostkowski, and it's not great but not terrible. So, again, you're wrong. If anything, where the team erred during that period was in FA.

I said D-E-F-E-N-S-E

Last time I checked Gost was a kicker - Mayo has not improved much if at all off his rookie season and that leaves Meriweather who was so bad in practice he was benched....not either of these two are anything to write home about at this time.

Last edited:
I said D-E-F-E-N-S-E

Last time I checked Gost was a kicker - Mayo has not improved much if at all off his rookie season

Well in that case you'd also have to look where they picked (2007).

How many defensive players did they select in rounds 1-3, and how many of those players are busts?

Wow. What a dumb post. I thought we dispelled this whole "BB can't draft" crap already.

That is really dumb, stating a fact there hoss.. cant handle the truth, that is why this team will be 8-8 this year because of the draft issuies....

How many defensive players did they select in rounds 1-3, and how many of those players are busts?

HMmm do you really want to go there..????

Its sad to say our weakness is our corners when all we spent in the last 3 drafts is A 2 A 3 ANOTHER 2 , and a 1 on our corner backs.. but that is our weakness, and that Belichick cant draft well on lb.

The DBs are fine - quick, athletic, good closing speed. But they are so young. There's zero pass rush - no defensive backfield can close down pro receivers with the no-touch rules beyond 5 yards unless there is pressure on the QB. The two picks were the best example - the Bills OL tired late in the game and the Pats blitzed LBs and the backs got the ball back. These guys are so young and will improve as the season progresses, especially in short yardage passing situations which is where they got burned a lot today. Hey, the Pats won.

Woodhead weighs about 190 lbs not big enough to be an every down RB.

I'm not saying he should be an every down back. When was the last time the pats had a real every down back? I'm just saying we could use him more often than just on third and short plays.

I think he had 5 fumbles in four years and four of them were last year.

3 of them were last year but his fumbles always came at the worst possible moments in games such as fumbling in the endzone. And I remember several moments that were almost fumbles but it turned out that his knee was down. The guy has problems holding the ball and his production was poor, compared to to most other backs.

I said D-E-F-E-N-S-E

Last time I checked Gost was a kicker - Mayo has not improved much if at all off his rookie season and that leaves Meriweather who was so bad in practice he was benched....not either of these two are anything to write home about at this time.

How can you say this? Merriweather is a 2010 pro-bowl safety. The Pats are great at the safety position. Patrick Chung is possibly the most improved player on the team and Mayo was everywhere today. The defense suffers from no pass rush, no edge rush from OLBs and just youth. If Ty Warren were playing things would be somewhat better. Ron Brace did a nice job today, but so little push from the line until the 4th quarter. Mayo and Merriweather are not the problem.

There is a good majority of NFL players that were drafted in 4 or 5th rounds those 3 years that are staples of thier teams now and are productive,we have NONE.....we passed up on alot of talent then....hindsight aside

I thought Jerod Mayo played well today. I kept my eye on him almost the entire game. What did you guys see from him that tells you he played bad?

No pass rush......dead meat

Well, he is better than Maroney at this point, i'll give you that. At least BJGE can hold on to the ball. I just don't think he's a back that can we can really use alot against good defenses. He is definitely not on the same level as most starting Rbs in the league, such as peterson, best, mendenhall, johnson, gore, rice, brown, foster, benson, turner, etc... Fred Taylor is good enough but he is so injury prone... You never know how long we're going to have him during the season.

Law Firm is clearly just a typical RB. But that is irrelevant. We won most of our superbowls with Antwain Smith. We kept scrubs like Patrick Pass. Kevin Faulk took years to develop and probably would not have made it on any other team.

The key difference is that Maroney either doesn't have mental toughness or football is not all that important to him according to a lot of different comments by several of his old teammates. BJGE does want it, and that is why he stuck with the Pats. Faulk wanted it bad enough, and he stuck with the Pats.

You are judging BJGE on talent and in this regard he is average at most. BB will judge him on how well he performs as a middle class role player on this team. It would not surprise me if he sticks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back