PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My opinion after the first three weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its sad to say our weakness is our corners when all we spent in the last 3 drafts is A 2 A 3 ANOTHER 2 , and a 1 on our corner backs.. but that is our weakness, and that Belichick cant draft well on lb.

Wow. What a dumb post. I thought we dispelled this whole "BB can't draft" crap already.

Well, I just got back from a trip to visit my parents so I need to make up fpor my lack of posts during the past week. :D

Tom Brady - Our offense is capable of being just as good as the 2007 team, as long as Brady spreads the ball, limits his deep passes, and the offense stops getting penalties at critical times.

Randy Moss - I think all of the people who talk about trading Moss need to take a careful look at the past three games. So far in every game this season he has once again proven how valuable he is to our offense. Pay him!

Wes Welker - Welker is obviously playing really well again even though his catches have been limited so far this season.

Hernandez and Gronk - If what they have done during their first few games is any indication of what is coming, you are looking at two Future Hall of Fame players. You heard it from me first. :D

Brandon Tate - Not bad so far. He's fast but he needs to do a better job of holding on to the ball.

Alge Crumpler - He hasn't gained a lot of yards but he has done a great job with blocking.

Julian Edelman - Am I the only person who thinks Edelman has taken a step back? He doesn't seem to really do much with the catches he is given.

BJGE - He had a good game today and does pretty well at times but he is still inconsistent.

Woodhead - I like this guy so far. I think we should give him more opportunities to see what he can do.

Sammy Morris - I personally think he is better than BJGE so I'm not sure why he doesn't get many carries.

Defensive Line - Great at limiting the run. These guys are the strength of our defense for sure.

Patrick Chung and Brandon Meriweather - Our young safeties are both prone to making some mistakes but they also make a lot of big plays.

Mccourty, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite - I think McCourty will be ok as the season goes on but the others are a big question mark. Our corners are giving up way too many big plays.

Teenuh...good overall summary......however, Sammy Morris looked slow and old out there today.....BJGE looked great,....very decisive, smart and effective. Feel like he is going to get the bulk of the carries...and remember, WHOEVER is running the ball is going to be dependent on how well our OL blocks. Good today....overall not great.

Edelman is still banged up....something is going on with him. Wasn't in there much and when he was....doesn't look like the same guy. I think he still has some kind of injury going on although I didnt catch it on injury report.

Doubt we will have 2 hall of fame TE from the Pats.....but I strongly agree that they will both be extremely productive for many years to come!!!

Good points Teenuh....thanks.....

Apparently you weren't watching the first 3 games. He had several runs for losses and no gains in the games.

BJGE is not a rushing threat against any team with a decent defense either. His average before today was 2.7 (1.9 against the Jets) which isn't exactly elite for a RB. Next week I predict he will have a horrible game against the Dolphins and we will be forced to win with our passing game. So far he has only done well against teams with questionable run defenses.

Taylor has an average of 3.6 in those games, and he is the #1 RB. BJGE was the #3, and his average is only .9 lower. In this game, he gets the most carries he's ever got (16) and delivers.

His stats from the first two games don't reflect a loss of yardage. Every RB is tackled for a loss every now and then, and like I said, almost every time that is caused by a OL breakdown. The fact that he has an average means his gains outnumber his losses.

You're going to eat your words next Monday night. ;)

He has too many runs for losses. He did well today because we were playing against the Bills... He is not someone we want to use a lot in a game against teams like the Steelers, Vikings, Dolphins, etc... He will fail big time. BJGE would be a backup on most teams with better running backs.

I think we need to give Woodhead a shot.

He hasn't had a heck of alot of opps prior to today either. BJGE is the best RB option that we have right now. Taylor and Morris are old and slow and injury prone. Woodhead is just too darned small to be an every down back and is more appropriate for being the "kevin faulk fill in" for this year and hopefully more. I have said this ad nauseum.....our running game is only as effective as the play of the offensive line. IF they don't open holes....it really doesn't matter if you have Chris Johnson back there.....or BJGE. We all saw what Pitt did to Johnson last week right?

Yeah, the Bengals and Bills are both known for their great run defenses...

That is not what we are discussing. You claim he is being inconsistent when he really hasn't been. He had -6 yards for the Jets game (one for -2 and another for -4) and one run for no gain. The Bills game he had one run for no gain and another with a loss of 2 yards. In the Bengals game he had a gain on every run. Its not about how good the defenses are but what you claim is inconsistent play. And from what I've seen it looks pretty alright to me.

Wow. What a dumb post. I thought we dispelled this whole "BB can't draft" crap already.

Are you saying we did well on drafting defense in 2006,2007,2008?

Meriweather is the only decent one and even he is a borderline average Safety

When they run blitz at the right time, its reasonable to expect a run for no gain or get a loss but overall buddy has been pretty good.

Well, I just got back from a trip to visit my parents so I need to make up fpor my lack of posts during the past week. :D

Tom Brady - Our offense is capable of being just as good as the 2007 team, as long as Brady spreads the ball, limits his deep passes, and the offense stops getting penalties at critical times.

Randy Moss - I think all of the people who talk about trading Moss need to take a careful look at the past three games. So far in every game this season he has once again proven how valuable he is to our offense. Pay him!

Wes Welker - Welker is obviously playing really well again even though his catches have been limited so far this season.

Hernandez and Gronk - If what they have done during their first few games is any indication of what is coming, you are looking at two Future Hall of Fame players. You heard it from me first. :D

Brandon Tate - Not bad so far. He's fast but he needs to do a better job of holding on to the ball.

Alge Crumpler - He hasn't gained a lot of yards but he has done a great job with blocking.

Julian Edelman - Am I the only person who thinks Edelman has taken a step back? He doesn't seem to really do much with the catches he is given.

BJGE - He had a good game today and does pretty well at times but he is still inconsistent.

Woodhead - I like this guy so far. I think we should give him more opportunities to see what he can do.

Sammy Morris - I personally think he is better than BJGE so I'm not sure why he doesn't get many carries.

Defensive Line - Great at limiting the run. These guys are the strength of our defense for sure.

Patrick Chung and Brandon Meriweather - Our young safeties are both prone to making some mistakes but they also make a lot of big plays.

Mccourty, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite - I think McCourty will be ok as the season goes on but the others are a big question mark. Our corners are giving up way too many big plays.

Have no problem with your analysis, except the flowing:

BJGE - Had a good game ???? WTF. The dude got 98 yards limited carries.

Woodhead - ???????? dude, it is absolutely quite clear at this point. Our little white RB, will be an enigma to defenses in the limited packages we bring him in.

You really underestimate the potential f our running game.

Doubt we will have 2 hall of fame TE from the Pats.....but I strongly agree that they will both be extremely productive for many years to come!!!

The bad thing about that is if they both play really well, we'll probably lose one to free agency. I can't imagine kraft paying a lot of money for two tight ends. :confused:

Have no problem with your analysis, except the flowing:

BJGE - Had a good game ???? WTF. The dude got 98 yards limited carries.

Woodhead - ???????? dude, it is absolutely quite clear at this point. Our little white RB, will be an enigma to defenses in the limited packages we bring him in.

You really underestimate the potential f our running game.

I don't think I am at all. I said I think woodhead could be good if we give him more chances. As far as BJGE is concerned, I suppose we'll see if I'm right again as the season goes on. Either he will do well or he will turn into another Maroney as I'm predicting.

Are you saying we did well on drafting defense in 2006,2007,2008?

Meriweather is the only decent one and even he is a borderline average Safety

We've already beat this horse to death, so I'm just going to say you're wrong and leave it at that.

I don't think I am at all. I said I think woodhead could be good if we give him more chances. As far as BJGE is concerned, I suppose we'll see if I'm right again as the season goes on. Either he will do well or he will turn into another Maroney as I'm predicting.

BJGE, over the last year or two that we have watched him, had made tremendous gains. I would honestly say, over the last couple years, there is no one on the Patriots that has improved more then him. He is a Power guy, that is finally finding his power stride. We can disagree here, but I think BJGE at this point shows significantly more promise then he ever has. More then Maroney ever did.

Last edited:
BJGE, over the last year or two that we have watched him, had made tremendous gains. I would honestly say, over the last couple years, there is no one on the Patriots that has improved more then him. He is a Power guy, that is finally finding his power stride. We can disagree here, but I think BJGE at this point shows significantly more promise then he ever has. More then Maroney ever did.

Well, he is better than Maroney at this point, i'll give you that. At least BJGE can hold on to the ball. I just don't think he's a back that can we can really use alot against good defenses. He is definitely not on the same level as most starting Rbs in the league, such as peterson, best, mendenhall, johnson, gore, rice, brown, foster, benson, turner, etc... Fred Taylor is good enough but he is so injury prone... You never know how long we're going to have him during the season.

We've already beat this horse to death, so I'm just going to say you're wrong and leave it at that.

Well in fairness here's the facts:

2006.....Ghost(great), O'Callaghan (ok) That is all that remains from that class
2007.....Merriweather (very good).....the rest of the draft was a bust.....(Moss did come aboard during this year though
2008...Mayo (good overall) Wheatley (?) Slater (special teams otherwise not much), Crable (oft injured and so far a bust)......wilhite.....so far not very impressive.....

So overall.....saying that these three drafts were not overly productive....is not far off.....Ghost, Merriweather, and Mayo have been the highlights....would you agree with that? Moss was worth a draft pick....we all would agree with that one....

Name more than Meriweather who was drafted in those 3 drafts who is currently on the team...or in the NFL for that matter?

Buzz......wrong answer..you lose..again

Bust after defensive bust 3 years in a row caused this putrid defense we have today and one that is so young they are betting burned like a man sunbathing with butter spread on his skin.

Belichick left his talents at the door outside the draft room when it came to drafting defensive players. - there is NOTHING you can say to dispell that..its a F-A-C-T...did he know the guys he selected in 06-08 would be now working for UPS ?no, but the fact is he picked horribly.

3 years of busts....those players if drafted sucessfully,would have been the leaders of today's defense when the elder guys left

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, Maurice Jones-Drew is a tiny RB as well. :eek: Woodhead should get a chance to be more than a third down back. I think he could potentially be better than BJGE.

MJD is most definitely NOT "tiny". He's just short. You could stretch him out to 6' and he'd still be pretty stout. There's a lot more muscle on Drew's frame than Woodhead's. His diminutive stature gives him tremendous leverage. I'd hate to have to meet him in the hole and try to drive him back, even if I was built like Mayo.

Well, he is better than Maroney at this point, i'll give you that. At least BJGE can hold on to the ball.

Maroney is not a fumble-prone RB.

Name more than Meriweather who was drafted in those 3 drafts who is currently on the team...or in the NFL for that matter?

Buzz......wrong answer..you lose..again

Bust after defensive bust 3 years in a row caused this putrid defense we have today and one that is so young they are betting burned like a man sunbathing with butter spread on his skin.

Belichick left his talents at the door outside the draft room when it came to drafting defensive players. - there is NOTHING you can say to dispell that..its a F-A-C-T...did he know the guys he selected in 06-08 would be now working for UPS ?no, but the fact is he picked horribly.

3 years of busts....those players if drafted sucessfully,would have been the leaders of today's defense when the elder guys left

You might have a point if you exclude Welker and Moss. Which no intellectually honest evaluation would do. Throw in Mayo, Meriweather, and Gostkowski, and it's not great but not terrible. So, again, you're wrong. If anything, where the team erred during that period was in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back