PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My offseason outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As I said the other day, good health and and a little re-tooling should have us ready to compete for another Super Bowl. Here's a look at each position and what needs to be done.

QB

Cassel is fine for one of the backup spots but you know how Belichick likes veteran backups. A couple names out there are Jon Kitna and Damon Huard. I'd love to see Huard back.

RB

This is definately a position that needs to be addressed for the future. As AJ pointed out, Dillon and Faulk are fine for next season but Corey is just getting older. A high draft pick is very possible. Also, do we want to bring in a true FB? If we go with free agents, I'd hope we look young so we might have a future feature back if a player works out. Guys like Chester Taylor and Jonathan Wells would look great in a Pats uniform.

WR

Givens is the wild card. If he's back, all we need to do is decide on the depth. If Givens is gone, we definately need to look for an equal replacement. I don't think Belichick would count on a draft pick to take over so free agency would be the way to go. I'd love to see Givens locked up for five years. If not, I wouldn't mind seeing us go after Antwaan Randle El. Reggie Wayne would be incredible but probably out of our price range. A RFA possibility is Brandon Lloyd. Guys we could bring in for depth include Jabar Gaffney, Michael Lewis, (SPEED!!) Peter Warrick and Peerless Price.

TE

If Fauria isn't coming back, it's critical that we find someone that can step in. As much as we love the 2-TE set, we can't count on both Graham and Watson not missing a game. Another draft pick could be used. Chris Baker would be a good pickup though I doubt he would come to a team already crowded at that spot.

OL

Honestly, if Neal and Ashworth are re-signed, I think we're fine at this position. I'd be suprised to see a Day 1 pick used unless someone fell. We could see a pick used on Day 2.

DL

We're beyond set for next season. However, if we don't get Seymour locked up, that's a huge loss in 2007. Is Hill ready to step in? Is Green ready to take over full time? I honestly wouldn't be disappointed to see our #1 or #2 used on a future Seymour replacement if someone is there.

LB

I think we're ok for next season, but barely. Age is definately creeping in. If Vrabel moves to the inside, I think his shelf life is extended. Bruschi should be back to full strength. Colvin should only improve. It's hard to bet against McGinest anymore. Are youngsters like Banta-Cain and Claridge ready to step in? There's a lot of talent at the top of the draft at LB, I wouldn't be shocked to see us pick someone up with our #1.

DB

This is the position that needs the most work. Do we want to count on players like Starks, Poole and Scott, players with injury historys, to come back and be fine? Is Harrision going to be fully recovered? I think the draft and free agency will really emphasise the secondary. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing us make a run at Nate Clements. I'd also welcome back Ty Law if he wanted to end his career here.

ST

If AV is picked up for another year or signed to a multi-year contract, we're fine in this area. Paxton, Miller and Vinatieri are tops in my book.

As for the draft, it's impossible to tell with Belichick. There's many different ways we could go with our top pick. Instead of deciding on one person, I'm going to list my favorites if guys fell to us with our first two picks. Some of these guys will probably end up going very high but Wilfork was supposed to as well so you never know. My favorites include Michael Huff, Bobby Carpenter, Rod Wright, Alan Zemaitis, Darnell Bing, Hank Baskett, Joseph Addai and DeMeco Ryans. My actual two favorites are guys that wouldn't fall to us even if they snorted lines of cocaine off Tagliabue's jacket the day of the draft: AJ Hawk and LenDale White.

Damn, you beat me to it! just when I post my essay, I see your outlook. Good work!

Nate Clements could be this years Ken Lucus or Anthony Henry. Both had solid years.

WR
Gaffney and Lewis would be intersting, but no way on Warrick or Price. Both are sloppy route runners and Davis/Bam would be stronger. I still like Eric Moulds as an inexpensive option. He still has the good skills.

RB
Chester Taylor may net get out of Baltimore although this would be a great pickup. Not big on Wells. TJ Duckett is on the block. That would be interesting. He seems to have a nose for the endzone.

QB
Kitna deserves on last shot as a starter, and there are plenty of teams to give him that chance. No reason to leave Cincy unless he gets a starting gig.

OL
One or two FA pickups would be wise even if Neal and Ash are signed. It wasnt all Dillon's fault.

Dont know if we will ever draft a LB out of college to play LB. Maybe safety. Too small. BB is looking for someone 6'6",260# who can run real fast, for LB. That means he will look to a very smart athletic DE to convert, or more than likely, try (hopefully better this time) the f.a. market again. Cut it either way, if we dont trade our 1st round pick, its going to go for either a DE or WR (these are very draftable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes