PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Observations Pre Season Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats played both 3-4 and 4-3.

One the 1st long run.. They were in the 3-4 with Fletcher and Guyton on the insides with Ninkovich and Cunningham as OLBs... They had Love, Cohen, and Richard in there as well. Fletcher and Guyton committed too quickly and got engulfed by guards. Because of that, the left "A" gap was uncovered and allowed the RB to get to the DBs quickly.

Also, on one of the first passing plays, Guyton was out of position and actually interferred with Butler and his coverage, allowing Butler's man to get open for the reception.

Guyton started off poorly, but got better as the night went along.

No. Not at all.

Williams AND Tate over Butler AND Slater.

Obviously you take Slater over Williams. But then you have 7 receivers if you want to keep Tate and Edelman. And you're stuck with a 5th CB (we all pretty much agree that Butler is 5th if he makes the team, right?) that isnt all that important on ST.

I haven't seen too much of Williams yet, but according to reports he's a ST guy first, CB second, and has been getting reps on ST during practice.

If I follow this right, you're arguing for keeping CB1 who should never see the field over CB2 who is decent depth, in order to keep CB1 for special teams...and you're cutting a superior special teams player to make this happen? And you do all of this in order to keep Tate as a 6th WR (7th counting Hernandez?)

I think I'll take Slater and Butler.

Can we say that B Farnham is our designated TC binkie a la Bam Childress.

I think one could argue that Farnham had a better game than Sergio Brown.. Brown looked lost out there more than a few times

I think one could argue that Farnham had a better game than Sergio Brown.. Brown looked lost out there more than a few times

That's dissapointing. It's just one preseason game but I have high hopes for the kid. I'll have to watch him more closely to see if he progresses out there.

And on that same line of thinking...

Tate, 6th receiver/return man, has more value than Butler, 5th CB.
But that's a lot of receivers if you keep slater too.
Could Williams be a replacement for Slater?

I think I'd rather have Tate and Williams than butler and slater...

What did Williams show that makes you value him over Slater as a special teamer?? Because that is what a 6th WR or 5th CB will be doing primarily. Special Teams. And Slater showed that he's still one of the best on the team.

If I follow this right, you're arguing for keeping CB1 who should never see the field over CB2 who is decent depth, in order to keep CB1 for special teams...and you're cutting a superior special teams player to make this happen? And you do all of this in order to keep Tate as a 6th WR (7th counting Hernandez?)

I think I'll take Slater and Butler.

You are saying Butler is a better CB than Williams. Is this true? I honestly haven't seen enough of Williams to say. What are you basing your evaluation of williams on?

And it's not about keeping Tate as a WR. It's about keeping one of the best KR in the league.

What did Williams show that makes you value him over Slater as a special teamer?? Because that is what a 6th WR or 5th CB will be doing primarily. Special Teams. And Slater showed that he's still one of the best on the team.

At this point, nothing. And again, it's not about valuing Williams over slater. It's Williams AND Tate over Slater AND Butler.

You are saying Butler is a better CB than Williams. Is this true? I honestly haven't seen enough of Williams to say. What are you basing your evaluation of williams on?

And it's not about keeping Tate as a WR. It's about keeping one of the best KR in the league.

Here is the problem that I see.

Too many people think that when someone like Andy says that Butler wasn't bad, that Andy is saying that Butler is good. Well. He's not saying that at all.

I purposely stayed off the boards and didn't read any articles before watching the game on my DVR. Other than one play where Guyton actually interferred with Butler, Butler was in position every time. The only problem I saw was that Butler didn't make a play on the ball. No PDs. But, he also didn't let a guy spring for a large gain. Which is something we're supposed to look for.

Was Butler great? No. Good? No. Decent? Yes. Is it disappointing that he was only decent? Yes.

Oh.. why is it that no one mentions that Wilhite played worse than Butler??? both in coverage and on Special teams?

Last edited:
Arrington started at corner and Bodden started the Jags game in the slot. I was a little surprised to see that.

Here is the problem that I see.

Too many people think that when someone like Andy says that Butler wasn't bad, that Andy is saying that Butler is good. Well. He's not saying that at all.

I purposely stayed off the boards and didn't read any articles before watching the game on my DVR. Other than one play where Guyton actually interferred with Butler, Butler was in position every time. The only problem I saw was that Butler didn't make a play on the ball. No PDs. But, he also didn't let a guy spring for a large gain. Which is something we're supposed to look for.

Was Butler great? No. Good? No. Decent? Yes. Is it disappointing that he was only decent? Yes.

Oh.. why is it that no one mentions that Wilhite played worse than Butler??? both in coverage and on Special teams?
It has been mentioned that Wilhite sucked. Nobody seems to disagree with that one.

Arrington started at corner and Bodden started the Jags game in the slot. I was a little surprised to see that.

I saw that too. I guess the game was definately about getting the 2nd and 3rd stringer playing time.

Or we could start a vicious rumor right now declaring it is a sign that Bodden is moving to the slot and the Patriots are trading for Asante Samuel? :p

It has been mentioned that Wilhite sucked. Nobody seems to disagree with that one.
I do. I dont remember a pass being completed on him.

I saw that too. I guess the game was definately about getting the 2nd and 3rd stringer playing time.

Or we could start a vicious rumor right now declaring it is a sign that Bodden is moving to the slot and the Patriots are trading for Asante Samuel? :p

Not sure what you mean. Arrington spent almost all of the last year as the starting CB. Isn't there enough tape on him ?

At this point, nothing. And again, it's not about valuing Williams over slater. It's Williams AND Tate over Slater AND Butler.

So. In your eyes. It's better to lessen the team at CB and on Special teams just because Slater is listed as a WR? You do realize that, as a rookie, Slater was listed as a Safety, yes?

So. In your eyes. It's better to lessen the team at CB and on Special teams just because Slater is listed as a WR? You do realize that, as a rookie, Slater was listed as a Safety, yes?

No. In my eyes it's better to improve the team as a whole. Again, I am only going on reports of Williams, but it's hard to imagine him being worse than butler at CB, and he's an outstanding gunner.

The upside being, of course, that you keep one of the best KR in the league. Of course, you could do this by simply cutting butler and going with 4 CBs, and keeping slater and Tate, but I think that leaves them a little thin at CB.

Tate isn't the best KR in the game, not even 2nd best for that matter.

No. In my eyes it's better to improve the team as a whole. Again, I am only going on reports of Williams, but it's hard to imagine him being worse than butler at CB, and he's an outstanding gunner.

The upside being, of course, that you keep one of the best KR in the league. Of course, you could do this by simply cutting butler and going with 4 CBs, and keeping slater and Tate, but I think that leaves them a little thin at CB.
Interestingly Williams wasn't even a starting corner in college, so your sight unseen proclamation of putting him on the roster with admittedly no knowledge of him is dubious at best.
Perhaps you should change your post from Williams to anyone in the world, and then your point would be understood better.

I too thought that having Boddin in the slot for the first pre season game was curious However this is the time when BB tries a lot of positional things, why not have Boddin take some reps in the slot. Given that he didn't play at all last season, he need all the snaps he can get this pre season. BTW Its also good to give him some snaps in the slot because there ARE teams, like Miami, who use big WRs in the slot (Marshal), and when they do Boddin is the best match up. If Butler becomes the slot CB, that wouldn't be a good match up

The point being I wouldn't get all excited about ANY position changes BB does during the first couple of weeks.

Interestingly Williams wasn't even a starting corner in college, so your sight unseen proclamation of putting him on the roster with admittedly no knowledge of him is dubious at best.
Perhaps you should change your post from Williams to anyone in the world, and then your point would be understood better.

I'm not exactly making a proclamation here, nor am I making an argument that this move is even a good one. I'm pretty bluntly stating I don't know anything about Williams. I'm suggesting it as a possibility that allows Tate to be kept on the roster, keeps 5 CBs on the roster, and an excellent ST gunner in williams (reportedly).

The fact is that you can only put 53 guys on the roster. How would you fit Tate on the roster? Cut Edelman? And I'm not even trying to make an argument here that Tate should be on the roster. But he's one of the tougher guys to leave off for me, and Edelman and price haven't exactly impressed me in KR (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back