PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Observations Pre Season Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were discussing it because you can take things out of a single game, like as BB suggested, do the guys improve when you correct them. The fact that they improved after one series and a correction on the sidelines says great things about their ability to adjust and adapt. You chose to ignore anything like that, instead harping on 4 plays that you didn't like.
So why is what you take out of it valid, and what I take out of it not?
You focussed on adjustments made by backups.
I focussed on the high amount of very bad plays (plus the first drive as well).
Which is a more telling dynamic? If guys who will be on the bench adjust during a game or if a more aggressive defense gets ripped through very frequently?

I was ready to drop it but when BB talked about it specifically in his EEI interview I thought it was worthy of mention. But instead you play semantics "Bill never said he was happy with the overall run D". No but he specifically mentioned how important it was how quickly they adjusted and didn't make the same mistakes, which is what you are looking for from backups in pre-season game number 1 after no off-season. But again, those are 'excuses' to you.
I didn't call them excuses. I said that I wasn't discussing how they adjusted, I was discussing how well they played. You used 'we were happy with adjustments' to say BB disagrees with my opinion the run d wasn't good. Thats not accurate.

And are you really going to get upset at 'tool'? Please, it's like saying you're being a goof. You called me silly earlier, should my panties have become bunched at that?
I'm not upset, I just don't get why people need to toss personal insults at someone because they disagree. (You made a bunch of other personal comments as well) Silly I think was refering to your point, not to you.
Just something that sticks out to me, insulting the person doesnt have any value in discussing their opinion.

You try to make huge pronouncements based on next to zero evidence and then get upset when people call you out on it.
What huge pronouncement? I said the run d wasn't good that day. How is that a huge pronoiuncement?

You've been insisting since day 1 of camp that BB would never even consider moving away from a 3-4 2-gap even as evidence to the contrary piles up and you finally halfheartedly admit that they played a little under.
That is just untrue.
First I have said I would be surprised if BB changes his long held philosophy. (I still will be if he starts the season that way) I never insisted he wouldn't do it.
How is going back and looking at the game again and stating what I saw, "halfheartedly admitting" something? And I didn't say they played a little under. I said the definitely lined up in 43 under and from the TV view it appeared they one gapped on the weak side and 2gapped on the strong side.
Why do you insist on changing my comments when you refer to them?

BB talked in his Monday presser how they weren't lining up straight up on the OL, but shading them instead. In short you were wrong about that to.
I said that they were lined up in 43 under alignment which is shaded, and even described it. How can me saying the exact same thing as BB make me wrong?

I wouldn't even care but you make many of your posts with this air of 'I'm Right' finality that can be obnoxious.
Thats on you. I have never said anything like I am right and noone else can be. I give my opinion. If its what I believe I am not going to change it because someone else has a different viewpoint. You can be right or wrong about facts. You cant really be right or wrong on opinion. I am confident that my opinions are well supported or else I don't post them. You seem to have that confused with arrogance.

And believe it or not, I like you Andy. I've been around in various forms since the dark days when that scumbag who started Jets Insider was here making trolling an art form and defended you against him on more than one occasion.

But seriously dude, you need to lighten up.
Not sure what you mean. I'm calm as can be. If someone disagrees with my opinion, I am going to discuss and/or defend it. I can't help the level people want to take it to. I will likely respond and continue to explain my point, there is nothing to lighten up about. You sound like its a fight, competition, or something to get angry about. I just dont see it that way.

I find it amusing that after falsely accusing me of cherry picking data,
I didn't falsely accuse you at all. We were talking about how the run defense played and you insisted on narrowiong it to less than half of the plays. That is cherry picking. Is it the phrase that bothers you?
How about you were limiting your analysis to only a portion of the plays so it is incomplete and therefore inaccurate? Is that better?

you cherry pick the three worst games from the last two years and think it somehow will support your argument that the run defense against Jacksonville was poor.
Surely you can see the difference right?
You said the run D was good. I took the aspects of run D that I said were not good and you said were irrelevant (as well as the part you said was 'dominating') and compared them to readily agreed upon poor run defense games.
Would you prefer I compared them to good run D games that they would look worse against?

See? "17% of runs for 10+ yards is bad."
"No, it isnt"

OK lets look at games we can agree are bad and see how it stacks up.
Entirely different than limiting your assessment of a game to less than half them plays.

There are 31 other games in there, where are those? I wouldn't expect you to include all 34 games, but I would expect you to include games with stats similar to the ones we're discussing: a few 10+ yard plays, and a low (2 - 2.2) ypc on the majority of the other plays. Despite this, I will humor you and look at the three games you have cherrypicked.
See above. Use whatever games you want, if it compares poorly to the bad ones, how do you think it will look vs the good ones?

That is factually incorrect. They allowed 39 yards on the other 19 carries. That is 2.05ypc, not 2.2. In the context of the discussion, it's not that big of a deal, but lets at least get the facts straight.
23-98 minus 19,16,11,10 thats 4 for 56 leaving 19 for 42, or 2.2. Where do you get something else? Besides, is 2.05 or 2.2 really significant? Its one broken tackle in 19 plays.

If you exclude the top plays, the 3.0ypc is 46% higher than the 2.05 we saw in the Jacksonville game. I'll take you word for it that it's 3.0ypc, I'm not going to bother doublechecking since it's not a reasonable comparison to make anyways.
If about the worst run defense game we can remember playing allowed 3.0 ypc I can't call 2.2 dominating. The point is that when you eliminate the top 17% of carries you can't compare what is left as if it were an entire game.
Call it 46% if you want, but realisitcally if 3.0 was hoorendous 2.2 certainly isnt dominant.

You can think what you want about the run game. But it wasn't the problem in this game. Mark Sanchez has a 127.3 QB rating. They lost the turnover battle. Brady had a QB rating of 89 and was sacked 5 times. If you're trying to make the point that you can have a decent run defense and still lose a game, I completely agree.
If that is your idea of good run defense then I can see why we can't agree.

They gave up an 83 yard run for a TD on the first play of the game, then turned the ball over 4 times. At their own 17, their own 25, their own 34, and at their own 22. Brady finished the day with a QB rating of 49. They did not lose this game because they gave up 2.1ypc on 40 run plays.
We aren't talking about why they won or lost, we are talking about a game where it was roundly accepted that they couldn't stop the run to save their lives.

No question about it, the run defense was bad in this game. If you give up an 87 yard TD run, I don't care what you do in the rest of the game. Besides that one play, if you can't sustain drives and you keep giving the other team the ball on your own side of the field, you can be beat even if your run defense only gives up 2.1 ypc the rest of the time. I will agree on that. If we expect the team to play like that, lets just stop talking about run defense now, because it wouldn't matter.
I'm not sure where I lost you, but you are way out in left field somewhere.
The point here is that you are saying 2.2 ypc after ignoring the 17% best plays is dominating, and I am saying it is not. that in fact it is very common that bad defensive games have around 15-205n of the plays make up much of the yardage and a 2.2 ypc on the best 80-85 is really quite average.
The structure of what yards were allowed on what plays in the Jax game was very consistent with bad run D games and allowing 2.2 on the best 80% of your plays is not really impressive.

...and gave them the ball on our own side of the field 4 times. ...and gave up a 83 yard TD run. ...and Brady had a QB rating of 49.
All of which is relevant to the outcome of the game and none of which is relevant to the quality of run D in the game.

Because in a normal week, Brady does not have a QB rating of 49 or 89, doesn't get sacked 5 times, we don't turn the ball over 4 times on our own side of the field, and Mark Friggin Sanchez doesn't finish games against us with a 127 QB rating. That's why it shouldn't concern you if we give up a few 10 yard running plays in a normal game.
So, the answer isn't that the run D was good, but that we don't have to play good run defense because we can win without it? Thats and about face.

I think we have a disconnect.
I am talking about whether we played well against the run or not.
You seem to be talking about whether the waty we played against the run was going to cause us to lose a preseason game. We could have been the 2010 Bills run D in this game and still won, but that doesnt have anything to do with how that bodes for whether our run D is going to be good this year.

I have a solution. Lets increase the sample size and include the three worst games from the last two years!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D
Its notn the sample size. Its taking results that I consider bad and comparing them against the worst I can think of.
If I say Mark Sanchez throws a lot of bad passes, and set out to prove it, I don't need a sample size of every QB, I just need to compare him to the ones who throw the most bad passes, and show he throws more. We know he throws more than the good QBs.

I appreciate you going through the game logs and pulling these numbers out. I think it adds lot to the discussion.

The Bills 356yards/125carries is 39% higher than the 39yards/19carries in the game we're discussing here. I'm not sure why you think it's a relevant comparison.

To put that in perspective, the Bills league worst 4.8 YPC average for the year is also a little under 39% higher than the Jets 3.5 YPC, which earned them the #2 spot.
The Bills were the worst run defense in the league.
Can you realloy say if the worst run defense in the league allowed 2.8ypc on the best 83% of their plays, that allowing 2.2 on the best 80% of your plays is 'dominating'?
This isn't about framing stats and using rhetoric.
Its about illustrating that while 2.2 ypc sounds really good, when you look inside the numbers 2.2 ypc after stripping away the best 7% of the plays is pretty mediocre.
You see that now don't you?
Using your Jets example what do you think they allowed on the best 83% of their plays?

If you still don't understand, let me try to turn it around and give you another way to look at it.

Lawrence Maroney averaged 4.2 yards per carry in his time in New England. He was crucified because he could not consistently pick up positive yards. He had a lot of longer runs mixed in with a lot of dancing around in the backfield, and negative or zero yard runs.
This is my problem with your argument.
That is totally not what Maroney did. In fact if you look at the real numners he was remarkably consistent with very low big gains or losses. Someone on this board posted those.

BJGE has also averaged 4.2 yards per carry. He is consistently praised because he always gains positive yardage. He doesn't make huge plays, but he hardly ever has negative or zero yard runs.
Again, this is your impression and it doesnt match the facts.

This just isnt the way running the ball works in the NFL.

You want BJGE on your team as your running back because he picks up yards on every play and helps you sustain drives. You do not want Maroney on your team because he is inconsistent, frequently has runs for no gain, and performs in a way that is detrimental to keeping drives going.
If you want BGJE and don't want Maroney, you have disproven your own theory because Maroney was the exact antithesis of what you are saying he was, which you use as the reason he sucks.

What you're basically saying is that you'd rather have your defense face BJGE than Maroney.
No. I'm saying I don't want my defense to get gashed often,

I agree with everything you said.

So why is what you take out of it valid, and what I take out of it not?
You focussed on adjustments made by backups.
I focussed on the high amount of very bad plays (plus the first drive as well).
Which is a more telling dynamic? If guys who will be on the bench adjust during a game or if a more aggressive defense gets ripped through very frequently?

Please, you are the one who acts like nobody else's points are valid. I realize that I can be an annoying prick, I'm very self aware. I don't think you realize how condescending you sound sometimes.

And you just keep making ridiculous statements like "high amount of very bad plays".

4 is not a high amount of anything. And 11 yard run is not a VERY BAD PLAY. A pick six is a very bad play. I suppose 4 pick-sixes in a game would be a high amount given their rarity.

4 is also not very frequently. Their is no way to support the statement because again, your sample size is miniscule. Trust me, I took stats like six times in college (same class), and if there was one thing I learned (might have been the only thing) it's that sample size is everything. (That and factorials are awesome because they are written as 4!) Now if there had been 4! bad plays then I might give it some credence.

So yes, given the sample, how they reacted for the next 10 plays after a couple of bad ones is quite instructive, as my close friend and mentor Bill Belichick mentioned.

And now you are blaming the more aggressive defense I see. That is a nice move after your insistence they were in 2-gap. Proven wrong you now use it to try and bolster your argument. Nice tactic. (<----- me being an annoying prick, I told you I'm self-aware).

And BTW, thank God we are being aggressive up 33-9 late in the 3rd. They can have their crappy draw plays. It will pad their run stats and help you make some sort of point eventually if they do it enough to raise the sample size, but it sure as hell isn't going to cost us any games.

I'm not upset, I just don't get why people need to toss personal insults at someone because they disagree. (You made a bunch of other personal comments as well) Silly I think was refering to your point, not to you.
Just something that sticks out to me, insulting the person doesnt have any value in discussing their opinion.

I apologize for being the annoying prick I am. (More self awareness, my shrink will be psyched!)

Thats on you. I have never said anything like I am right and noone else can be. I give my opinion. If its what I believe I am not going to change it because someone else has a different viewpoint. You can be right or wrong about facts. You cant really be right or wrong on opinion. I am confident that my opinions are well supported or else I don't post them. You seem to have that confused with arrogance.

Alas, you need to see my shrink. When you say that you value something and I must not (I am not going 15 pages back to find the exact quote), it implies that I am unable to see or appreciate the value that is there. You don't actually say "YOU'RE WRONG!" but it still has a passive-aggressive, and dismissive quality.

Not sure what you mean. I'm calm as can be. If someone disagrees with my opinion, I am going to discuss and/or defend it. I can't help the level people want to take it to. I will likely respond and continue to explain my point, there is nothing to lighten up about. You sound like its a fight, competition, or something to get angry about. I just dont see it that way.

If you're calm then don't get upset if I'm an annoying prick. It is just as valid a style of debate as condescending, passive-aggressive, dismissive.

I'm not angry either, just passionate as you are. I am just psyched we have football to argue about again!

Please, you are the one who acts like nobody else's points are valid. I realize that I can be an annoying prick, I'm very self aware. I don't think you realize how condescending you sound sometimes.
I cannot help how you take my comments. I am certain that I come off condescending to people who make wise ass comments, but frankly when its in response to that kind of attitude I dont really care how I come off. I think you would agree with that.

And you just keep making ridiculous statements like "high amount of very bad plays".

4 is not a high amount of anything.
Yes, it really is. 4 runs of over 10 yards out of 23 is extremely high.
The Bills, worst run D in the NFL in the first 4 games last year allowed only 16 runs over 10 out of 150. They would have had to allow 10 more to hiyt that rate. Think about that. The worst run D in the league allowed about 2.4 out of every 23. 4 out of 23 is very high.
By the way, I have never said that this game has any certain significance on what the defense will look like in the season. In fact I qualified the statement before I first made it due to these being backups.
The significance of not being good vs the run in that game may be nothing. But that doesnt change that it was what it was.

And 11 yard run is not a VERY BAD PLAY.
First I don't think I said very bad in caps. But a 10 yard run is essentially a total failure by the front 7. BB has said the first 10 belong to the front 7 and the secondary is responsible from 10 on.

A pick six is a very bad play. I suppose 4 pick-sixes in a game would be a high amount given their rarity.
We are talking about run D. If we were talking about pass receiving dropping a perfect pass wide open would be a very bad play. Run blocking a whiff would be a very play, and so on.
I'm not debating the value of run defense as it relates to the outcome a game, I am discussing good run D vs not good run D.

4 is also not very frequently.
Out of 23 it is.

Their is no way to support the statement because again, your sample size is miniscule.
No its the ENTIRE SAMPLE SIZE of the run defense in that game.
Sample size is irrelevant anyway. The topic is those 23 running plays. We aren't predicting the future, we are assessing those 23 plays. Having 4 runs over 10 yards out of 23 is a very, very high proportion.
Sample size only applies when predicting the future, not when assessing performance by including every example.

Example: If you bat 4 times and strike out 3, you struck out an enormously high proportion of the time in that game. Sample size is irrelevant, because it isnt a sample its the entire game.
Using the above to say you can't hit is misusing statistics by using a small sample size. Big difference.

Trust me, I took stats like six times in college (same class), and if there was one thing I learned (might have been the only thing) it's that sample size is everything. (That and factorials are awesome because they are written as 4!) Now if there had been 4! bad plays then I might give it some credence.
See above. Sample size is everything in statistics but not in assessing the entire scope of the argument. We aren't analyzing the statistics of the game and making a projection from them, we are comparing them to an enormous sample size (run D in the NFL) to say it was too often.
In this case the sample size is enormous, because the samle size is where we make the projection (based on all NFL run Defense allowing 17% of your runs over 10 yards is very high) and applying the conclusion from the largest sample size available to the sum total of our data that we are judging based upon the sample size we drew the conclusion from.
(If I were an @$$ I'd slam your statistics education here)

So yes, given the sample, how they reacted for the next 10 plays after a couple of bad ones is quite instructive, as my close friend and mentor Bill Belichick mentioned.
How they responded is part of the overall assessment of the run D. Saying it was somewhat better later is not saying the overall assessment was good.
Again to baseball, Beckett allowed 5 in the first the other day. I loved the way he adjusted and battled back, and would complement that. I wouldn't say he pitched well.

And now you are blaming the more aggressive defense I see.
Where did I blame? This is an issue that is a potential drawback in a more aggressive defense. So why wouldn't we be concerned if that evolves as an issue or doesnt?

That is a nice move after your insistence they were in 2-gap. Proven wrong you now use it to try and bolster your argument. Nice tactic. (<----- me being an annoying prick, I told you I'm self-aware).
Yeah you kind of are.
I don't get your approach. Do you think this is about making a statement then abandoning all integrity and tricking, lying, cajoling and manipulating to make your point seem true whether it is or not?
If so that is sad.
There is no tactic. Aggressive run Ds allow more long runs. I have no skin in this game. I WANT the Patriots to play great. But I'm not going to pretend they did just to feel better about it.
Of course the potential negatives in a change in scheme are things I am going to be atuned to.
The fact that I thought I saw 2gap discipline across the board on first view, and saw 1gap on the weakside on second view has nothing to do with my opinion that the results were not good.
I said that from point 1. I have studied and extrapolated data to show that the long runs were alarming frequent. That has nothing to do with whether it was one gap or 2, except it becomes more interesting when one gapping corresponds to an increase in long runs.

And BTW, thank God we are being aggressive up 33-9 late in the 3rd. They can have their crappy draw plays. It will pad their run stats and help you make some sort of point eventually if they do it enough to raise the sample size, but it sure as hell isn't going to cost us any games.
I disagree with your thinking here. This wasn't prevent defense pass only mode. This was base D against an offense executing a drive as if it were 0-0 in the first. We can't dismiss plays in a preseason game because of the score, its just not the same thing.

I apologize for being the annoying prick I am. (More self awareness, my shrink will be psyched!)
Your words, not mine, I just think there is no need to get personal, it always turns things in an unproductive way.

Alas, you need to see my shrink. When you say that you value something and I must not (I am not going 15 pages back to find the exact quote), it implies that I am unable to see or appreciate the value that is there. You don't actually say "YOU'RE WRONG!" but it still has a passive-aggressive, and dismissive quality.
Actually it is a response to frustration of diminishing the significance. I remember what you are talking about and after you consistently tried to argue its 4 plays so it doesnt matter, and i said something to the effect of I guess my standard is higher than yours. I don't know how else to communicate with someone saying the bad plays just don't really matter.

If you're calm then don't get upset if I'm an annoying prick. It is just as valid a style of debate as condescending, passive-aggressive, dismissive.
As I said, I am always calm, I just think that when people stray from the facts and their opinion and focus on personal attacks on the other poster, it always gets ugly, and I don't understand why people do it. (And yes I do, but I believe only in retribution)

I'm not angry either, just passionate as you are. I am just psyched we have football to argue about again!
Thats a good way to end this discussion, until we can talk about tomororws run D or pass blocking or punt coverage or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't falsely accuse you at all. We were talking about how the run defense played and you insisted on narrowiong it to less than half of the plays. That is cherry picking. Is it the phrase that bothers you?
How about you were limiting your analysis to only a portion of the plays so it is incomplete and therefore inaccurate? Is that better?
You certainly did falsely accuse me of cherry picking stats. I made a direct response to an assertion you made that "They got in the end zone zero times primarily because of the pass defense."

I find it laughable that when proven wrong, you ignore your assertion that we were discussing and attempt to recast this portion of our discussion it as being about the run defense as a whole. It wasn't.

You said the run D was good. I took the aspects of run D that I said were not good and you said were irrelevant (as well as the part you said was 'dominating') and compared them to readily agreed upon poor run defense games.
Would you prefer I compared them to good run D games that they would look worse against?
AndyJohnson: The run defense is bad if X and Y.
nnmnmmnn: The run defense is good if X and Y.
AndyJohnson: Here's a game where X and Y and they gave up an 87 yard rushing TD on the first play of the game. I conclude that if X and Y, the run defense is bad.

AndyJohnson: Saving babies from burning buildings is bad.
nnmnmmnn: Saving babies from burning buildings is good.
AndyJohnson: Here's an newspaper article about a baby that was saved from a burning building, then grew up and killed three people. I conclude that saving babies from burning buildings is bad.

Your logic is flawed.

23-98 minus 19,16,11,10 thats 4 for 56 leaving 19 for 42, or 2.2. Where do you get something else? Besides, is 2.05 or 2.2 really significant? Its one broken tackle in 19 plays.
I've been looking at the game log on sports.yahoo.com. What are you looking at?
(98-16-11-13-19) yards / 19 carries= 2.05ypc. Carrying two decimal places is probably pretty absurd, so I'll call it 2.1.
Q1 2nd-3, NE47 12:54 R. Jennings rushed up the middle for 16 yard gain
Q2 1st-10, JAC42 6:13 D. Karim rushed to the left for 11 yard gain
Q3 2nd-7, JAC16 4:37 R. Murphy rushed to the left for 13 yard gain
Q3 2nd-7, JAC32 3:25 R. Murphy rushed to the left for 19 yard gain

If about the worst run defense game we can remember playing allowed 3.0 ypc I can't call 2.2 dominating.
Why not? I'll say it again. The difference in YPC between the #2 spot and the #32 spot last year was about 39%.
3.0 ypc is 43% or 36% higher than this game's average of 2.1 or 2.2 ypc.
That's the difference between worst and dominating. 40%.

Its notn the sample size. Its taking results that I consider bad and comparing them against the worst I can think of.
If I say Mark Sanchez throws a lot of bad passes, and set out to prove it, I don't need a sample size of every QB, I just need to compare him to the ones who throw the most bad passes, and show he throws more. We know he throws more than the good QBs.

To be clear, I thought it was ridiculous that someone attempted to discount it by calling it a small sample size. I completely agree with you. My post was just intended to be a friendly joke.

This is my problem with your argument.
That is totally not what Maroney did. In fact if you look at the real numners he was remarkably consistent with very low big gains or losses. Someone on this board posted those.
Yes, someone mentioned that I was incorrect to assess Maroney using "conventional wisdom." That's exactly what I did. I'm not sure where to find data on the distribution of run lengths, other than game logs. Do you know of a source for this data?

If you want BGJE and don't want Maroney, you have disproven your own theory because Maroney was the exact antithesis of what you are saying he was, which you use as the reason he sucks.
You realize that you want your offense to do the exact opposite of what you want the other team's offense to do, right?

To be clear, I want BGJE (or the consistent guy who doesn't lose yards) on my offense. I want Maroney (or the guy who has a few 10+ yard carries but doesn't pick up much, or anything the rest of the time) on the opponents offense.

No. I'm saying I don't want my defense to get gashed often,
I don't either. Nobody does. But I don't think it necessarily means the run defense is bad.

I'm glad we only have another 12 hours of this before we have a new game to have disagreements on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back