PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My "no OLB" day one for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you're comprehending my point. I've stated that if the Pats think they can upgrade the OLB position through FA or draft, they will. If we can land JT, I would be happy, if we can trade for Peppers, I'd be happy, if we draft English/Matthews/Barwin I'd be happy too. However, IMO I also believe that Bill would be fine with our current OLB corps if we don't upgrade. If you disagree, then that's fine, whatever.

Actually it doesn't sound like you have an opinion. Basically whatever BB does, you'll go along with.

With Thomas, Woods, Crable, Redd and TBC we have enough OLB unless Belichick is going to sh!t can two of them. We've only lost Vrabel but added Crable (out most of the year), Redd (out until injuries hit) and TBC.

So :

1 - Beatty
2a - Delmas
2b - Sintim (to play ILB)
2c - Gilbert

We get out OT of the future (RT of the present), 3rd Safety, Bruschi replacement and potential Seymour replacement.

Beatty is a soft player. BB tends to draft tough guys that have some nastiness to them. While anything is possible, it is hard to imagine BB drafting him.

I'm hoping Britton or Jackson falls to them, but it seems unlikely.

Beatty is a soft player. BB tends to draft tough guys that have some nastiness to them. While anything is possible, it is hard to imagine BB drafting him.

I'm hoping Britton or Jackson falls to them, but it seems unlikely.

Hence why I think we may trade up for Britton and/or Oher...that #89 could be really useful..

Actually it doesn't sound like you have an opinion. Basically whatever BB does, you'll go along with.

Nope. My point was that I wouldn't be surprised if we go into the season with what we currently have. I don't think Bill IMO would leave the team with only one viable OLB and put the team at a disadvantage if we do decide to negotiate with a FA or try to trade with another team. At the same time, Bill is all about upgrading the team if an opportunity presents itself so if we do end up signing/trading/drafting another player, then I am sure he will do so.

But in any case, for the most part I do agree with whatever moves Bill makes..........except for keeping Hobbs as a starter.........or keeping Sanders as a starter...........not resigning Vinatierre..........not working out a long term deal with Asante two years ago............I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

Fine, but that's opinion not logic.

Not to argue semantics, but generally there is a fair amount of logic in opinions. I won't say that all opinions are logic-based, but from rational human-being and trained monkeys they tend to be.

Arguments can be made that Vrabel was deemed expendable by the development of younger players and his decreased production last year/salary numbers. It will be interesting to see where Bill falls on the issue as the camps and preseason unfold. Vince Redd, Woods and TBC offer a bit of talent to the OLB position.

Not to mention, this love affair with Connor Barwin has gone too far. Personally, I'd fancy a two or three year starter at the linebacker/defensive end position with 4.6 speed than a converted tight end with one year experience at DE when spending a low first or high second. I love the upside of the guy, but is all I can hang my hat on when admiring him. Curry, English and Matthews might be a different issue.

Wow no olb day 1? Must have a ton of confidence in Woods or TBC, although I think Woods is a solid backup hes not a starter in my book. TBC is nothing more then a special teams player at this point.

I guess the fans want the Patriots to draft OLB to improve pass rush on the outside. I think they also need to improve the pass rush from the inside (similar to NY Gaints). For this I think Jarron-Gilbert would be a good candidate. Watching him throwing the O-Linemen around in the video's below is impressive

Jarron Gilbert | San Jose St. Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect
YouTube - Jarron Gilbert SJSU 2007 Junior Highlight tape

A Shrine Game practice video, if you're interested:

YouTube - Jarron Gilbert - Draft Video Profile

Wow no olb day 1? Must have a ton of confidence in Woods or TBC, although I think Woods is a solid backup hes not a starter in my book. TBC is nothing more then a special teams player at this point.
Not so much a ton of confidence in our young guys as much as the reality IMO that any draftees will be developmental guys themselves and I'd rather take a lesser name in the 3rd/4th to develop than a high pick who'll be changing positions. If Bill loves a guy, great, by all means take him high but if I'm making the picks I'm taking more sure things with less of a position move. We still have two #3s to grab a good athlete with whom to try switching from DE to OLB.

I can see us not drafting an OLB if we can't get a stud. It is reasonable to believe that prospects at 23 and 34 may not be much better prospects than a 3rd rounder. If Curry, Brown and Orapko are gone, we may not see value picking an OLB on Day One.

It is not unreasonable to draft a 3rd rounder to develop alongside Crable for 2010 as Woods and Banta-Cain are available for most of the 2009 reps.

Woods or Banta-Cain can work themselves into keepers as a backup OLB and a STer respectively.

Personally, I wouldn't be upset if Belichick picks no linebackers at all on Day One and picks a DE, OG, OT and a S. The value seems to be there, even if we need to use our #89 to move up for one of our picks.

Not so much a ton of confidence in our young guys as much as the reality IMO that any draftees will be developmental guys themselves and I'd rather take a lesser name in the 3rd/4th to develop than a high pick who'll be changing positions. If Bill loves a guy, great, by all means take him high but if I'm making the picks I'm taking more sure things with less of a position move. We still have two #3s to grab a good athlete with whom to try switching from DE to OLB.

Fair'nuff. I disagree, I would say waiting to the 3rd/4th round will dramatically decrease the likelyhood of getting an elite OLB.

Fair'nuff. I disagree, I would say waiting to the 3rd/4th round will dramatically decrease the likelyhood of getting an elite OLB.
Agreed - and don't misunderstand, I won't be upset in any way if we draft an OLB high. But with a good amount of young at that position, if Bill likes their potential it is interesting to look at the names we could get without taking one.

I will say that I find it very unlikely we will use the first round pick on an OLB as there is uncanny depth for our style OLB this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes