PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavfan2390

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I participated in a mock and it just finished yesterday, here are my picks pretty much self-explanatory, just tried to fill needs, i think a did a good job, dont be too harsh :p

1. Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State
2. Max Jean-Gilles OG Georgia
3a. Leon Williams ILB Miami (FL)
3b. Maurice Drew RB UCLA
4a. Jeff Web WR San Diego State
4b. Dwayne Slay S Texas Tech
5. Brandon Johnson OLB Louisville
6. Connor Hughes K Virginia
7. Drew Olson QB UCLA

ok remember i couldnt trade,

on cromartie, the only players available that were worth that pick were carpenter, and maroney, MARSHALL WAS ALREADY GONE

on max G-J, we needed someone to replace neal, and hes the top rated guard, colledge was available but he plays tackle, our bigger need is at guard, Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, MAX G-J, Nick Kauzar

on Williams, he may be pure athlete, but so is thomas howard of utep, and howard was gone in the first, williams replaced vilma with no problems in miami, and williams is going to be a good change of pace as our ILB's are more smarts then athletiscm,

drew was a value pick,

webb was a me pick, lol i love webb hes my steal of the draft

slay hits like a truck but SUCKS in coverage, he is all upside, and until he learns he can do ST

brandon johnson was a value pick

hughes was a need pick, top rated kicker,

olson was a replace flutie pick, please keep in mind i just did a draft, no free agency or anything,

mavfan2390 said:
I participated in a mock and it just finished yesterday, here are my picks pretty much self-explanatory, just tried to fill needs, i think a did a good job, dont be too harsh :p

1. Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State How is he against the run? I know he is good with the ball in the air.
2. Max Jean-Gilles OG Georgia I recommend reading rookboston and Ochmed Jones in this thread http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=31324
3a. Leon Williams ILB Miami (FL) He is at the lower end of the acceptable weight scale, but seems okay otherwise.
3b. Maurice Drew RB UCLA okay
4a. Jeff Web WR San Diego Stateokay
4b. Dwayne Slay S Texas TechPoor coverage and big hitter? Tebucky Jones.
5. Brandon Johnson OLB Louisville okay
6. Connor Hughes K Virginia AV was a Free Agent.
7. Drew Olson QB UCLA Couldn't we have another WR and sign a camp fodder QB in FA?
I'm curious, besides no trades, what restrictions where placed on who you picked?

mavfan2390 said:

1. Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State
2. Max Jean-Gilles OG Georgia
3a. Leon Williams ILB Miami (FL)
3b. Maurice Drew RB UCLA
4a. Jeff Web WR San Diego State
4b. Dwayne Slay S Texas Tech
5. Brandon Johnson OLB Louisville
6. Connor Hughes K Virginia
7. Drew Olson QB UCLA

I'm not sure Giles fits the Pats OL profile. I think the Pats would be more inclined to draft Colledge and convert him to OG.

That's an interesting take on Colledge. I hadn't thought about it, but it fits the BB theory of versatility and he's fairly mobile. I got to go back and relook at this guy, does he have the wide base for OG????

Ochmed Jones said:
That's an interesting take on Colledge. I hadn't thought about it, but it fits the BB theory of versatility and he's fairly mobile. I got to go back and relook at this guy, does he have the wide base for OG????
I'm not sure that I've heard any criticism of his base one way or another. Watching him in the Senior Bowl he presented a balanced look at LT being effective against speed and power, as well as screening or turning D-linemen to create a crease in the run game. He was very mobile and I remember a horrid ole' on a QB draw that nearly resulted in a sack; however, he was then able to beat Robinson upfield and get another block in the secondary. His mobility fits NE to a T.

I still would move Gorin inside and leave Kaczur, or Colledge if drafted, outside. If Colledge does move in to G, I'm not worried about the 21 reps he benched, Woicik can address that.

I'm curious, besides no trades, what restrictions where placed on who you picked?

haha a time limit? :bricks:

mavfan2390 said:
haha a time limit? :bricks:
Oki-dokie, you'll note that some of us with too much time on our hands try and puzzle out what BB might want in a player in an attempt to guess who he might take. Last year's number one pick reportedly made Mel Kiper's hair move he was so surprised, most draftniks had Mankins going in the third round, but afterwards there was talk that BB grabbed him in the nick of time because SF was looking at him.

You probably have a life (unlike me), but when you get a chance to ponder BB's choices, don't look for the draftnik favorite like Big Max at OG. BB took a LT in Mankins and moved him to LG, I'd encourage you to be more unconventional and take a RT if you want a RG.

Cromartie is being compared to Deion Sanders for his coverage ability, but Deion didn't make tackles which is reportedly BB's number one criteria for a defensive player. Trying to be unconventional, my pick (at this point of the draft run up) would be DT Montavius Stanley at 21. Most people have him third round or second day, but the shortage of good NT candidates includes him, and he is probably the most mobile option, similar to our Vince. Just think of all the nice feedback your draft peers will give you when you throw that choice on the table.

Thanks for sharing! :rocker:

i reserve the right to kill myself if we pick a defensive lineman not name mario or haloti in the first round, lol and cromartie is a solid tackler, he doesnt go for the big hit like harrison, but he is similar to ellis hobbs in that he just wraps up and gets the guy down

Ochmed Jones said:

Here's a tid bit from an interview on NFL Countdown:

Scott Wright: There has been speculation about you possibly playing guard at the next level. What have you heard from teams and what are your feelings on possibly moving inside?

Daryn Colledge: Well my feelings are they’re the ones writing the check so I’ll do whatever. I’ve spoke to some teams about tackle and I’ve spoke to some teams about guard and it’s really up to them. I think I can do both and it’s just a matter of making some slight adjustments and getting used to the position and I feel I’m a strong enough athlete to move inside if I have to. I’d probably rather play left tackle just because that’s what I’ve been doing for the last four years so I’d be more comfortable doing that but, again, I’ll do whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back