PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Mock, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Rnd. 1 (21) Bobby Carpenter-OLB-Ohio State. Like most of you, I get the feeling that BB will go in another direction. When so many people forcast the Pats to take a player somewhere, it usually does not happpen. But, you can't ignore Carpenter's talents. He seems to good of a fit to pass up if he is available.

Rnd 2. (52) Cedric Griffin-CB-Texas He may be the big, physical CB we have always wanted. Supports the run very well. Plays with passion and is versatile. Can moves to safety if needed or if that is a better fit.

rnd 3 (75) Andrew Whitworth-OL-LSU A big and nasty tackle to compete with Kazcur for the starting RT position. A mauler against the run with a nasty demeanor. Durable, started in 52 straight games for LSU

rnd 3 (86) Jason Avant-WR-Michigan or Mike Hass-WR-Oregon St. I really can't make my mind up on which one of these guys I want. Both seem to be similar in attributes, great hands, great route running, top intangibles, good character. I'd be happy with wither one.

rnd 4 (106) Montavious Stanley-DT-Louisville. Big, run stuffing DT to help out Wilfork.

rnd 4 (118) Tim McGarigle-ILB-Northwestern. Smart, a leader, productive, tough and durable. How can you argue with 545 career tackles? An apprentice for Teddy.

Rnd 5 (136) Skyler Green-WR-LSU A bit small, but so is Branch. Tough, fast, quick and runs good routes. Good hands and is a very good return man.

rnd 6 (191) Pat Ross-C-BC Can play both C and OG. Insurance if we lose Koppen next year. We all know how goob BC lineman can be.

rnd 6 (205) Taureen Henderson-RB-Texas Tech. Small, but stocky back. Change of pace/3rd down back. Great receiver. had over 220 receptions over the last 3 seasons. With Faulks injuries and rising salary, he may be his replacement in a year or two.

rnd 6 (206) De'Arrius Howard-RB-Arkansas Big (5'11" 230lbs) and fast (4.47 40). Has all the tools you want in a back, but has been an underachiever. Never fumbled in his college career.

rnd 7 (229) Best kicker available.

I like most of it, although I don't know too much about the two RB. I'm leaning towards Lawson over Carpenter but I just don't know. I also actually expect no LB in Round 1 and some BPA like Eric Winston. I do like the Griffin, Avant, McGarigle and Green picks quite a lot.

I llike the Carpenter and griffin picks alot. I am also a big fan of Ross, that is great value there. Not real high on Skyler Green and I dont know much about the runningback except I know the guy from Texas Tech must not have ran too much coming out of that offense, not sure how he will translate to the NFL playing in that system, but at that point in the draft, he might be worth it.
Could use a Tight end somewhere in the draft as well.
Nice work.

check out condrafts write up abut Skyler Green. They obvioulsy think this guy has some skills. Especially at the end where they say he could be another Steve Smith! That might be a bit of a stretch. But he must have skills/talent to even be mentioned like that. The thing I like most about him is his off the field actions. Active in the community and in social activities. And this is from a college kid who you would think is spending his time partying or goofing of. Shows he is mature beyond his age and is a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders.

http://condraft.com/player.php?id=592&PHPSESSID=7decccdf6ff808ad8376d67d7dd22477

Last edited:
I would be very happy with this draft (well I would be if we trade for a wide receiver.

21) It depend on whose there, but Carpenter is a fine pick. Many have other favorites at LB (Lawson, Wimby).

52) My major disagreement
I think that defensive back is Round 1 or not at all. I want a TE at 52.

205) I would pick the best available kicker here.

stevedogc said:
check out condrafts write up abut Skyler Green. They obvioulsy think this guy has some skills. Especially at the end where they say he could be another Steve Smith! That might be a bit of a stretch. But he must have skills/talent to even be mentioned like that. The thing I like most about him is his off the field actions. Active in the community and in social activities. And this is from a college kid who you would think is spending his time partying or goofing of. Shows he is mature beyond his age and is a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders.

http://condraft.com/player.php?id=592&PHPSESSID=7decccdf6ff808ad8376d67d7dd22477

And Jarvis will be a happy camper as well (it's his brother).

Last edited:
SamBamsFan said:

Oh cool. I didn't even know that. I love Skyler, but we'll probably have to snatch him up b4 the Phins do b/c you know Saban probably has his eye on him.

I have 3 problems with the draft:

1) I think a lot of these 2nd day players are slotted too low and will be gone (Ross, Taurean, maybe even Skyler Green).

2) I don't like Whitworth at 75 at all because it's not a position of need and he's got some character concerns.

3) No TE? When did you see a Patriots draft without a TE? Considering the Pats have only 2 TEs on their roster, it's a foregone conclusion that they're going TE and fairly early too. Replace Whitworth with either Fasano or Klopfenstein and I like the draft a lot.

Who said Whitworth has character concerns???? What are they??? Are you talking about attitude??? Because outside of being the nastiest OL in the draft, which is a good thing, I've never heard about character issues.
I would love to have Whitworth at RT on our OL. He's a guy that will finish a running play to the end of the whistle. Nasty! Nasty! Not dirty, not cheap, not stupid, just good old fashion nasty!!!!!

Ochmed Jones said:
Who said Whitworth has character concerns???? What are they??? Are you talking about attitude??? Because outside of being the nastiest OL in the draft, which is a good thing, I've never heard about character issues.
I would love to have Whitworth at RT on our OL. He's a guy that will finish a running play to the end of the whistle. Nasty! Nasty! Not dirty, not cheap, not stupid, just good old fashion nasty!!!!!

I think I heard or read that somewhere, but I can't pinpoint where it was because I've read and heard so many different things. Anyway, I'll retract the character statement, but I still don't like the idea of picking in OL on day 1. I'd say OL is the least need position behind QB and DL.

Yo Buck, I have to disagree a little bit with you on this one. I think upgrading the right side of our line, provided Light makes it back, is our second biggest priority, right behind finding a playmaker for the secondary.
However I will say, there are day 2 options that could work very nicely also.

SamBamsFan said:
Not that it really matters but they are cousins.

Ochmed Jones said:
Yo Buck, I have to disagree a little bit with you on this one. I think upgrading the right side of our line, provided Light makes it back, is our second biggest priority, right behind finding a playmaker for the secondary.
However I will say, there are day 2 options that could work very nicely also.

What about Kaczur and Britt? Britt was SEC OL of the year in 04. So now you have 3 guys for one spot? Plus Gorin.

I don't like the Carpenter pick, too high for Griffin too. Carpenter will be a bust. Just too dumb. Not instinctive.

Jason Avant is a good pick, IMO.

Skyler Green I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back