Welcome to PatsFans.com

My mock draft round one predictions....

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PATRIOT64, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

1) Oakland - Jamarcus Russell

2) Detroit - Adrian Peterson

3) Cleveland - Calvin Johnson

4) Tampa Bay - Joe Thomas

5) Arizona - LaRon Landry

6) Washington - Leon Hall

7) Minnesota - Brady Quinn

8) Atlanta - Dwayne Jarrett

9) Miami - Levi Brown

10) Houston - Gaines Adams

11) San Francisco - Amobe Okoye

12) Buffalo - Patrick Willis

13) St. Louis - Alan Branch

14) Carolina - Marshawn Lynch

15) Green Bay - Robert Meacham

16) Pittsburgh - Adam Carriker

17) Jacksonville - Brandon Siler

18) Cincinnati - Justin Harrell

19) Tennessee - Ben Grubbs

20) New York Giants - Ted Ginn Jr.

21) Denver - Jamall Anderson

22) Dallas - Reggie Nelson

23) Kansas City - Brandon Meriweather

24) New England - Michael Griffin

25) New York Jets - Dwayne Bowe

26) Philadelphia - Paul Posluszny

27) New Orleans - Darrelle Revis

28) New England - Chris Houston

29) Baltimore - Jarvis Moss

30) San Diego - Lawrence Timmons

31) Chicago - Greg Olsen

32) Indianapolis - Joe Staley

This is what I see as best selections for each team as projected first round picks - Your opinion?
  2. notex

notex Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wouldnt be dissapointed at all...what about LB though?? i guess with willis gone the DB pickups make sense.. i would also consider woodley or beason with a pick... i say in this situation when we get to 28 trade into the 2nd and pickup woodley/harris/gonzalez/beason....who are all available plus a 2nd rounder...i really think we could pickup the same type of quality players in the 35-40 range as we could at 28...plus whatever bonus we can find
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  3. Underoath

Underoath Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Eh, why wouldn't we take Posluszny with #24? I guarantee you Griffin will still be there at #28, or if not, a better chance than Posluszny.
  4. TeamPats

TeamPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I for one think this is very good and more relevent very realistic. My only gripe would be I doubt Olsen makes it to # 31 but if he does look out, he would be a perfect fit for the Bears.
  5. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Way to early. He's had a really bad combine and Pro Day where he ran LB times in the 40. I can't see him going this high.

Why? They just drafted a RB in the first round last year, and they have greater needs at other positions.

I could see them going WR, but this kind of ties into the Carolina pick. If Lynch is still on the board they should pick him. Plus, Rookie RB's usually have more success than rookie WR's. They would like to win now while Bret's still playing.

Way to early, and they have needs elsewhere.

To Early. If not for the injury this would make sense. I could see him going at 28 or 32. they could also address sveral other positions.

They'll probably go defense with this pick, and Ginn hasn't been impressive at all during workouts.

They have Roy Williams, Ken Hamlin, Keith Davis, Patrick Watkins, and Anthony Henry who they plan on converting to FS. They arent going Safety in the first round. Also Nelson probably goes to CAR or JAX.

If nobody thinks NE will take a chance on him at 28, than why would KC at 23? It's to early considering his question marks, and I think KC goes another direction anyways.

Why take Michael Griffin with Revis and Houston still on the board? That doesn't make sense to me. I don't think they'll both still be on the board, but if they are NE probably grabs one of them. With all the talk on here concerning Safety still carrying value into the 3rd/4th round why go Safety at 24, when you have two good CB lookin' at you? Especially when that Safety could still be there at 28?

they have Coles and Cotchery. I don't see this pick. if both Revis and Houston are still on the board the Jets would be jumping for joy. They need a top quality CB.

I don't know. Maybe, but it seems more logical they'd take Lawrence Timmons or Jon Beason or Michael Griffin.

This pick makes sense, but I don't think he last that far. This is why both Houston and Revis should not make it to 28. If both survive to pick 24 and NE passes on both of them, the Jets will grab one, and the Saints the other. This is why thinking either will be on the board at 28 doesn't make sense. If the Patriots want either of them they'll probably take one at 24. Also, the cowboys, and Giants might grab CB's.

See above, he's probably gone before this. Also, why take him at 28 if you valued Griffin over him at 24?

The pick itself makes some sense, but I could see them going O-Line first. Also, recent question marks have arisen concerning Jarvis, and he's got some pretty significant injury history.

Do they need a pass rushing OLB? They have Merriman and Shaun Phillips with a few backups. They could use an ILB after loosing Edwards but I don't really see Timmons at ILB and he's still somewhat raw from a technique stand point. They could use a good WR, and other players more fitting at ILB could still be on the board.

This pick makes sense but he could go earlier. Also, with briggs wanting out will they take a LB here? Do they trade Briggs? Talks between the Bears and Redskins are actually still continueing, for those who don't know. Both sides are still interested in pulling this trade. The Bears are supposed to be making their counter offer soon.
  6. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Detroit has 2 young RBs in KJones and TBell. Why would they draft Peterson? Especially over Calvin Johnson who they actually need since they were using McCown at WR last year.
  7. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Plus with Joe Thomas on the board that doesn't make sense. KJ did get injured last year, but that's probably why they brought in Bell.
  8. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -2

Cousin,
    Question?
    How much would you stretch for Willis? Would you consider swapping 24 and 28 to Atlanta for Willis?
    Too much?
    How about SF for their one and a three at #11 and Willis is still there?
    Think I might go for picking up 28 year old Hartwell, take a CB (I agree. Revis?) drop to the second round and pick up Harris or Woodley at ILB in round two with an extra choice for 2008. Then in 3, pick up a Safety on the first day.
    Hartwell is ready right now. Willis or any of the ILB's will need some time. I tell you I am intrigued by Willis. Smart, fast, plays hurt....but still a rookie with a chance to flop. Don't know if any ILB is better than a healthy Hartwell?
    DW Toys
  9. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

If I was the Pats, I would have been looking for a trade down from 24 or 28. Then taken one of Staley, Revis or Posluzsny.
  10. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've already given my answer on this subject a few times. I wouldn't trade 24+28 for one high pick, no matter if it's for Landry or Willis. I like both but it's a bad move from a picks stand point, and from a cap stand point.

I might trade with SF if NE could get a third back, especially if Willis was still on the board. I don't know if they wouldn't just pick him for themselves, though. I don't know if the 49ers would be willing to make that trade. This pick is a little more friendly than 8th or 9th overall.

Trading 24+28 for a pick in the teens, and a pick in the second makes a lot of sense to me. I would take someone like Revis in the teens (if Willis is gone) then I would take someone like Woodley, Harris, Harrell, Bradley, Spencer, Staley, or Gattis in the second.

Trading 24 to TB for their two second rounders seems interesting. 35th and 64th overall
    Trading 24 to Miami for their two picks sounds good, and equels out better from a points stand point as well. NE's would get 40th and 60th overall.

NE could then use their two tradable sixth rounders to move up in with some of theirfirst day picks.
  11. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 17 / -2

I actually like this a lot (for the patriots). And yes, I also would be fine with picking Poz, instead of either player picked.

The first judgement is that you believe that we need defensive back help, and that you believe that the place bb sees value is in the first round of the draft.

The implication is that bb expects that Revis and Houston to be available at 28, and that Griffin might not.

Personally, I prefer Revis and expect Griffin to be there at 28. So, given the same needs analysis, I would choose Revis and Griffin and be ecstatic with the first round. Even if Houston wer prefered over Revis, I would choose the CB at 24.

There are many ways to fill needs. Given this draft, bb would likely pick a lb in the third, or not, and move up to do so, or not.
  12. The 12th Man

The 12th Man Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree with most of your thoughts on this except for this one. If (and that's a big If) a guy with Nelson's potential and talent is still there at 22 for Dallas, they can easily snag him. Hamlin is only in for a one year contract, Watkins showed some flashes, but is a question mark for their long term need. Henry is a question mark also since that's not his "natural" position. So, I'm saying that they could easily grab Nelson at 22, but are probably less likely to get other safeties there.
  13. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Everybody is still clammering over Revis in the first when there's speculation abound that Asante is very close to re-upping.

I would like to know how this returns value to the Pats in your minds?
    In' my mind it returns value in the following two scenarios:

a) we put Hobbs into the nickel spot and have a minor upgrade this year at #2 corner and a significant (though perhaps not necessary) upgrade at #2 corner over years two through five.

b) we trade Hobbs for a late second or a third rounder.

With these two scenarios, I'm not sure the value isn't greater selecting a player at another position.

Do you have other ideas?
  14. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

If Houston got Gaines, they would have Mario and Gaines coming off the edges. I could see Houston being extremely pleased if Gaines fell to them.

The other team I see jumping for joy is Dallas. Teaming (FS) Nelson with (SS) Roy Williams and having 2 decent CB's, should solidify the Dallas secondary for next season. Dallas really needs some players on the OL, but Nelson would be a good fit.
  15. GermanGilbert

GermanGilbert Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

green bay has the 16th selection, pittsburgh the 15th. not so important for your picks, though :)
  16. The 12th Man

The 12th Man Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree. If we lock up Samuel, he's our starting CB no doubt. Hobbs did an excellent job on the other side this year and I would feel more comfortable having him there instead of a rookie. We also can't forget that Gay is coming back healthy and did a great job as well, he would be a great #3 this year. Of course, Scott and others are good for depth and experience factor. We do need depth at CB, but I don't think we NEED a CB in the first round at all like many people say we do, assuming Asante is resigned that is. And I know that competition is good and injuries happen all the time, so that is the only reason I would consider that move, BUT ONLY if the primary needs of LB and S (the targeted guys) are already gone by those picks and the CB we draft would be a valuable one to the team. I guess same can be said about the OL or RB or even WR.
  17. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

For those who asked about the selection of Revis. I have a questin for you.

How many of the Pats DBs have NOT been injured over the past 4 years?

Lets face it. Because of the hard style of play, the Pats DBs haven't been able to stay healthy. This goes back to when Ty Law and Ty Poole were still lining up for us. Revis gives the Pats a body who could start opposite Asante and leave them Hobbs as the Nickle back and kick returner.

Gay hasn't been able to stay healthy since 2004.
    Chad Scott disappeared when we needed him the most against the Colts. He would have, at least, been able to cover the slot receiver better than Alexander did.
    Hobbs busted his wrist.

The Pats need some players with durability back there.
  18. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They don't just need OL and Safety(not really a need), the Cowboys need a CB, since Anthony Henry hasn't been as good lately, and they are still thinking about moving him to FS next season, because of his decline at CB. They like Pat Watkins(who they drafted last year), and they like Keith Davis(who was a part time starter), they signed Hamlin to a one year deal, but if he plays up to his normal level they'll likely resign him. Add Roy Williams at SS and I really don't see them going Safety.

They could also use a WR since Glenn, and TO are both old, and their third WR Clayton is a FA next year. I could see them going CB, WR, OL, or even DL before they would draft a Safety.

My brother's a complete Cowboys nut, records all their games and watches them all the time. He had Safety as their biggest need, but after the signing of Hamlin he think's their going either CB, or WR. He doesn't think O-Line is a priority anymore because they resigned Columbo, and got Davis from the Cards. He does think they'll still draft an O-Linemen, just not in the first. I agree with him.

Now if they want to draft Nelson and use him at CB that could make sense, but I doubt they are targeting Safeties in the first round. Maybe they'll draft one later in the draft, but likely not in the first.
  19. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Where's the depth? Would you rather have a starting three of Samuel, Revis, and Hobbs.

or

Samuel, Hobbs, Mickens/Scott?

Don't give me the "Eugen Wilson can play CB" arguement. Ne tried that last year, and it didn't workout. He's stuck at FS, is likely gone after this season, and lately has seemed somewhat injury prone. Gay can't be considered a starting CB at this point since he hasn't been healthy since 2004, and he hasn't even signed the offer sheet, yet. Gay is also a FA next year. Also, none of us know for sure that Samuel is getting extended. I'd like to add some stability to the position.
  20. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Gay or Wilson could handle the nickel. A CB can be drafted in round three as well. Don't get me wrong, I love Revis. He is one of the few players that might be available at 24 that excites me. I'm just not sure that the pick wouldn't be better utilized in another fashion, to have the greateset impact on the team. Having said that, I'm not sure what that other fashion would be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.