#33 Brandon Harris, CB

#60 Justin Houston, OLB

#74 Jerrell Powe, NT

#92 Daniel Thomas, RB

4th round pick. Jake Kirkpatrick, C

5th round pick. Austin Pettis, WR

6th round pick. Stanley Havili, FB

let me know what you guys think

(A) Not at all sure if some of those players are going to be around as late as you think, but I'm not at all sure they'll be gone long before either (e.g., I've seen some mocks with Thomas going to the Pats at 60, but nothing at, say, 28).
(B) The only WTF? pick here for me is a CB—any CB, for that matter—at 33. [If a top-10-overall CB were still there, that admittedly might be a different matter.]

Last edited:
As a U homer I like the Harris pick, but really it's way too high for a cornerback.

#17 cameron jordan, 3-4 de - too small to play de for the pats. I'd rather not take potential in the first round.

#28 mike pouncey, g - overrated at #28 imo

#33 brandon harris, cb - he looks like a patriots cb, but seems a bit high to take one with other more pressing needs

#60 justin houston, olb - i would love to see houton fall this far

#74 jerrell powe, nt - good pick

#92 daniel thomas, rb - i see thomas as a more athletic bjge. I'd rather draft a rb who can hit the homerun.

4th round pick. Jake kirkpatrick, c - good pick

5th round pick. Austin pettis, wr - honestly if a 5th round wr isn't going to help on st then he's probably not worth drafting

6th round pick. Stanley havili, fb - good value here

#17 Cameron Jordan, 3-4 DE

#28 Mike Pouncey, G

#33 Brandon Harris, CB

#60 Justin Houston, OLB

#74 Jerrell Powe, NT

#92 Daniel Thomas, RB

#17 Cameron Jordan, 3-4 DE A beast. My favorite player not not named Fairley,Bowers, Darreus, Peterson. Reminds me of Ty Warren with a little more pass rush to him. Nobody runs on the Pats with him clogged in there.

#28 Mike Pouncey, G Excellent pick. would rather grab tackle here and make Pouncey 33. I must be one of the few that don't think he is overrated. He is versatile and BB values that. He get's beat up too much for his poor start to the season.

#33 Brandon Harris, CB I like him a lot. Not a need pick at this spot. He is more of a luxury this time around. I've see him go as high as 13 to Detroit up to 45ish.

#60 Justin Houston, OLB Don't think he falls this far, but if he does this is robbery.

#74 Jerrell Powe, NT Not to up to snuff on this guy.

#92 Daniel Thomas, RB Take your pick. There are a lot of RB's that are hit or miss at this point.

4th round pick. Jake Kirkpatrick, C Love it. Big part of the success for TCU.

5th round pick. Austin Pettis, WR meh

6th round pick. Stanley Havili, FB It's a very good FB class for a change. Don't see him lasting. Good pick though.

Good job. Be interesting to see how it changes up after the combine.

Basing my notes on the current (2-8-11) NFLDraftScout rankings:

#17 Cameron Jordan, 3-4 DE - I really like Jordan as a player. At 6041/287, he's almost the size of a classic BB 3-4 DE. He could probably play DE in both 30-fronts and 40-front sub-packages for us. Alas, he'll likely be gone by #17 (currently ranked #13). Both JJ Watt and Cameron Heyward seem very capable, are slightly closer size-fits and should be available later (currently ranked #22 and #27, respectively), so there's no real reason to trade up for Jordan.

#28 Mike Pouncey, G - As other have noted, probably over-rated (and currently ranked #35 anyway). Danny Watkins should be available in the 2nd (ranked #38) and there are other very viable OG candidates who should be around even later than that.

#33 Brandon Harris, CB - I really like Harris (ranked #24). While it would be great to get another kick-ass CB, all we really need at this point is to come up with someone who's likely to push Wilhite or Butler off the bottom of the CB depth chart. There seems to be several guys available in later rounds who should be able to accomplish this.

#60 Justin Houston, OLB - Houston is ranked up at #28 and I just don't have the confidence in him that others appear to. I'd feel better about Ayers (#26) and about Brooks Reed (#68).

#74 Jerrell Powe, NT - Apparently looked awful at the NFLPA All-star game this past weekend and is ranked at #90. Not sure why we'd need another DT anyway.

#92 Daniel Thomas, RB - I like Thomas for his size. We're not getting a home-run hitter RB out of this draft, so it probably doesn't matter where we pick. There may be a couple guys later (Locke, Powell, etc.), but I'd be fine with Thomas.

4th round pick. Jake Kirkpatrick, C - Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of differentiation among OC's in a fairly weak class. If we're going to take one, as far as I can see, Kirkpatrick might be as good as any.

5th round pick. Austin Pettis, WR - If we really need a tall possession receiver who seems able to work the sidelines, Pettis might be the best value, though it appears he's moved up into the 4th round since his Senior Bowl.

6th round pick. Stanley Havili, FB - Nothing wrong with Havilli, but I'm not sure we're in the market at all for a FB. There actually might be a couple defensive sleepers available around this pick who I'd rather spend it on.

Overall, I'd say your positional direction is very good, IMO - much better than most. As you can see, my notes are more quibbles with specific players and/or timing. The only "lack" might be an OT, and whether we actually need one this year from this group is still the subject of much debate, so I can't really call that a fault.

A nice draft as long as Light is re-signed.

#28 Mike Pouncey, G

#33 Brandon Harris, CB

#60 Justin Houston, OLB

#74 Jerrell Powe, NT

#92 Daniel Thomas, RB

No, I am not. I didn't mention Mankins. I mentioned Light because no OT was included in the OP's draft. IMHO, this is only reasonable if Light is re-signed before the draft.

We are commenting on the draft posted which does indeed draft an OG. One presumes that IF Mankins is gone, that we would have Pouncey, Connolly, Neal, and Orhnberger as our guards.

So are you conceeding that Mankins is gone?

Last edited:
Houston is not big enough. Easily blocked by TEs. I've seen him play for the last two seasons. Great player, but overhyped.

#28 Mike Pouncey, G

#33 Brandon Harris, CB

#60 Justin Houston, OLB

#74 Jerrell Powe, NT

#92 Daniel Thomas, RB

Cousin,
I like your #17*. If Miller fell there, he would be my pick.

#28 I go Kerrigan for the DE/OLB pass rushing effort he seems to have.

#33 I go Danny Watkins G

#60 I go with Mohammad Wilkerson DT/DE (BB needed at TE in last years Draft so he got two and they were both good. Why not two top D linemen?)

#74 I go Hankerson WR Miami if we don't go after a FA

#82 I go James Carpenter 313lb OT "Carpenter started all 13 games of the 2010 season and 27 straight games at left tackle during his two-year career at the Bama ... first-team All-SEC selection by the league coaches and second team pick by the AP ... on the watch list for the Outland Trophy ... one of the top left tackles in the Southeastern Conference"

4th Round I go John Moffitt from Wisc. for his G and C versatility.2010: AP first-team All-American, SI second-team All-American ... consensus first-team All-Big Ten . Much bigger than Koppen, Wendell or Ohrnberger at 6'5" and 323.

5th Round I go with John Clay, a 248lb Tail Back from Wisconsin that has some injuries the beginning of last year but was still strong. Now we can pound a little harder.
2008 Wisconsin 155 884 5.7 46 9
2009 Wisconsin 277 1,517 5.5 72 18
2010 Wisconsin 187 1,012 5.4 40 14
College Totals 619 3,413 5.5 72 41

6th Round I go Shiloh Keo S. Idaho A 226lb mad man who also returns kicks. Might have been the best defensive player at the East West Shrine game. An ST demon to start.

*If Fitzgerald can be had, this all changes.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye