Welcome to PatsFans.com

My Massachusetts insurance rate increases. Thank you gimmick policies!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Most of you in here have heard me rail against what I call "gimmick politics" or "gimmick policies". They are politics/policies that you know won't work, won't ever do what's claimed, and in the end, will only make a bad situation worse. They are the proverbial perfume on a pig. One the the biggest pieces of gimmick legislation, was none other than RomneyCare. When it was first passed I said it was a gimmick, and low and behold (ding, ding, ding) I was right. Mind you, ObamaCare is modelled after Romney's "reform".

To make and already long post short, I'll get to the point. I just recieved our companies contract renewal from Blue Cross Blue Shield. Hold on, let me get the vasoline ready... Currently we pay $564 for an indivdual plan, $1,087 for a 2 party, and $1,683 for a family plan. These are our 2010 rates, that we currently pay. The new rates on the renewal form are $743 for the indivdual plan, $1,433 for a 2-party, and $2,229 for the family plan. WTF? [​IMG]

I thought Romneycare (Obamacare), was supposed to make things cheaper? Apparently not. Those plans just increased 32%, 32%, and 33% respectively. Every employee with an individual plan costs $8,916 per year. Every employee that has a wife costs $17,196 a year. Anyone with a wife and kids costs $26,748 a year!!!! [​IMG]

How can a person, or a business, afford this? Can we officially call the "reform" an epic fail? Oh, and please tell me again why I shouldn't be upset when I find out that $35 million went to pay for the medical costs of some criminal illegal alien invaders? Or why I shouldn't have an issue with 69% of the MassHealth Unlimited recipients being illegal criminal aliens? :mad: Gimmick politics, and gimmick policies, don't work.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

BC/BS are notoriously greedy and opportunistic....

Don't they have to go before a Public Utilities Commission in Mass to justify a rate increase????

This article says they agreed to less than what they gave you..

Blue Cross Of Massachusetts Agrees To Reduce Dramatic Rate Increases

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

All I can go by is what the renewal contract shows. I'd venture to guess the mention of "base plan" has something to do with it. Either that or the fact that I'm a business client might matter. I should call and find out. These increases are going to cost me tens of thousands of dollars this coming year. It's outrageous.

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

I agree, but BC/BC is notoriously greedy and opportunistic..

Do not understand how they can only grant a small increase, but then charge you that much more????

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

The GOal of government interference in private insurance is to deatroy the system to pave the way for a 1 payer system.

This is the reason of the mandates. Any intelligent person knew this would happen

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Proof positive that the "thought police" are doing a very good job amongst the lemmings...

7. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

I am sure Blue Cross is just as guilty as Cigna, Tufts and United Health care, ect.

The Health Care increases this year are out of control.

8. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +685 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

The high health care cost increases were inevitable and this was apparent to the rational observer. These government plans put no downward pressure on prices, but rather substantial upward pressure. Years and years ago, when living in Canada, I read a controversial Canadian mockup that demonstrated that Canadians paid more in taxes for their "free" health care than the majority of Americans paid in insurance premiums. I'd be curious to see this revisited, but I am pretty sure now that Americans spend far more money for health care than the equivalent Canadian taxes and get less and less for it.

I don't usually get on board with right-wing conspiracy theories, but if ever someone wanted to try and justify a one-payer system, the current health care policies and their future course provide that justification. Americans are being priced out of insurance, now with the aid of government policy. It's asinine.

Btw, my premiums went up a paltry 34%, and I have never used/needed the damned insurance for anything but annual checkups. :rolleyes:

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

RW, I know you're being sarcastic but only a moron would think prices would be lowered. Costs went up for extras like having to cover pre-existing conditions (which invalidates it as insurance, btw, insurance is for BEFORE something happens), allowing adult kids to stay on policies until age 26, etc, and nothing was done to lower the cost per unit of health care. It's not possible for the consumer's prices to not go up.

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Should clarify, all health insurance companies are notoriously greedy...

11. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

My family plan Cigna coverage went up 51% from 2010 ($255 bimonthly)
    to 2011 ($386 bimonthly).

I have friends who have coverage with United Health Care and Tufts
    and their plans went up over 30% from 2010, to 2011.

I am not sure who to blame it on..... I know that Obamacare may have done a few good things (coverage for pe-existing conditions), but
    it sure did not help with the cost of health care to middle class families.

Where does it end?

Will there be a 30% increase in 2012, 2013, 2014, ect?

They need to put a cap on how much a insurance company can increase
    your cost from year to year.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

What's bad about the allowance on 26 year olds, is that you need the younger, healthier people paying into the system, to help pay for the costs of treating those who are older, and more likely to have medical needs.

We're headed to single payer sooner than people realize. All at a time when the gubmit is broke. Eventually, only the elite, and government workers will have insurance coverage, while the rest of us peasants will be on rationed care. It's inevitable, and it's by design.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Pelosi, her Gang of Grinning Pigs and beautiful President Odumbo Flop Ears had a very good reason to lock themselves up then lower the shades when they rammed their Rotten Obama care through, the good part of all this is "they are going to pay dearly for their closed door bullsh!t and all the rest of Obama's "dumbness and arrogance".

Watch these Filthy People when they get Voted Out the dirty bastards will still be "grinning"

Look at health care can you blame the Sh!t Juice covered, scumsucking, vile slopping pigs for hiding behind locked doors when they signed it.

F-ck Their Deplorable Bowels And Sanctimonious Rectal Outlets.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010