Welcome to PatsFans.com

My Lai...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 28, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

a very good show on "American Masterpiece", that had to do with the greatest massacre by American Military.. although it may be viewed as biased by some, it is more about a very confusing war, very confusing messages and how confusing all of this was for those with "boots on the ground"... it is our history, American Masterpiece does a pretty good job of staying neutral on this event and relies on the commentary of those who were there.

Although I remember the whole incident, did not remember the political uproar it created... and the role of Nixon.. if you get the time highly recommended.

In 2009 Lt. Calley finally apologized for his role in this atrocity...

There but for the grace of god go I...

WGBH American Experience . My Lai | PBS

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Good post ... punting it to the top again. ;)

3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

George Santayana

4. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I saw this documentary and two things really stood out for me: first was the simple fact that the majority of these soldiers were doing what they were told to do and second, the fact that the remaining soldiers (including a helicopter pilot) were sent on some pretty God-forsaken missions once the story really broke. They were and apparently still are convinced they were led into situations which should have gotten them all killed. As one vet put it, we were essentially left to die. Sounds like that's exactly what Military Inc. wanted, bury those guys and you bury the story.

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I agree, when the Viet Nam Vets started coming back and doing the bar thing, the guys who talked the most were those who were in communication shacks on the coast, complete with their mama sans and unlimited M.. those who talked least were the incountry guys, they also drank the most, and did a shytload of dope....

Most of my incountry friends and acquaintances do not talk about it to this day, and avoid it all costs..

Their stare reminded me of the stare of a Bill Mauldin cartoon or the statues in the Korean War Memorial on the National Mall...

6. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Have you ever been to The Wall? I haven't but they say that's been one of the most healing places for not only the vets and their families but also for the country itself. Your comment on 'the stare' reminded me of a story about The Wall just after it's completion. Apparently many vets couldn't approach it closely at first and just kind of stood back a few hundred yards and stared at it.

I find this war fascinating for some reason.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Everytime I get to DC I go to the wall, look up the people I know who died and take a picture of it.. I have great pix by my brother in law, that has a Viet Nam Military boot with a rose sticking out of it in front of the wall.. it is one of my favorite pictures...

Every previous time there has been a group of vets present, this time there were none.. interesting..