Welcome to PatsFans.com

My Lai massacre hero buried

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +157 / 4 / -4

Hugh Thompson, the US army helicopter pilot who rescued Vietnamese civilians from American troops during the My Lai massacre, was buried with full military honors.

Thompson, who died of cancer at a veteran's hospital in nearby Alexandria, Louisiana, on January 6 at the age of 62, was eulogized as a peacemaker during his funeral service in a packed Lafayette chapel.

The trio then flew to another part of the village where Thompson encountered a lieutenant preparing to blow up a bunker filled with wounded Vietnamese.

Although outranked, Thompson ordered the lieutenant and his men to stand down.

"Thompson put his guns on the Americans and said he would shoot them if they shot another Vietnamese," said William Eckhardt, the chief prosecutor at the My Lai courtmartial.

Thompson was a real hero, no doubt an enemy of the Swift Boat Liars and other corrupt righties, but a hero for those of us who include compassion and humanity among our American values.
  2. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Pathetic, Patters. Using the death of a true hero to take a political cheap shot.

Nice show of "compassion".

I seriously doubt he had any political filter engaged when he took action to stop the killing.

Soldier's don't take action based on politics. We take (well, took in my case, as I am no longer on active duty) action based on a very clear set of rules that are non-partisan.

Please, don't disgrace this hero's name any more than you have.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I didn't see any cheapshot. He didn't even comment on the article, just posted it.
  4. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I believe the *** indicates the end of the clip, and the start of his additions, whereas the ... (elipses) shows a break in the quote.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +157 / 4 / -4

Ah, Chevy, maybe you're too young to remember those years. I was a kid, but I still remember witnessing right-wing thugs beat up protesters while the police stood around. I still remember the threats called into my home because my 16 year old brother was an anti-war activist. And I'm not too foolish to realize that the Swift Boat Liars are ready to smear those anti-war activists who served our nation. I am glad you regard him as a hero, since that means, I guess, that you include humanity and compassion in your values (nevermind your suggestion in another thread that we wipe out Islam).
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ahh, I still don't agree it's a cheapshot, but I see your point.
  7. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Patters, you tapdance better than Danny Kay.

I don't care what your politics are, or that you have an incredibly condenscending attitude towards those that don't agree with you. When I joined the military I took an oath, and even now I still believe in that oath.

Somewhere between Kerry's account and those of the Swift Boat Veteran's for Truth lies the reality.

Smearing anti-war activists as a whole is not very productive, IMHO. Being vocal against the actions of a Jane Fonda or Kerry, however, has just as much validity as supporting them does.

The radical response re: activists in the 60's is beyond me. While there were some activists that went way to far, most did not, and didn't deserve what happened.

But, as you usually do, when someone disagrees with you, or calls you out, you immediately raise you liberal nose, sniff with disdain, and dismiss them as some poor misguided fool who is in lockstep with the right.

So typically liberal of you.
  8. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

But liberals know better than we do. Thats why we need their brand of motherment.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +157 / 4 / -4

Thank you.

If I sounded condescending, it's because your suggestion (in another thread) that we wipe out Islam really got to me.

Is that really how I come across? That's not good. I'll try to change that. My intent is to pull no punches and not to condescend by holding back my thoughts.
  10. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Try to compartmentalize ... One thread does not necessarily have any bearing on another ...
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -9

I remember the young soldier that was beat senseless in Harvard Sq by a group of those smelly drugged up "Fonda War Protesters", the reason they sent him to the hospital, he dared wear his Army Uniform in public, yes those filthy vermin war protesters beat this young man half to death simply because he was an American Soldier (In Uniform)

Who has proven that the Swift Boat Veterans were LIARS?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2006