Welcome to PatsFans.com

My jobs Family health care plans cost is going up 51+% in 2011.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Oct 9, 2010.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

I had read that health care costs are going up 10 to 12% in 2011.

It is now open enrollment time at work and I just found out that my
    family plan is going up 51+% in 2011.

Thank you Mr Obama......

With the new rule that children can be covered up until age 25 on
    their parents insuance, my company has found a way to pay for
    the 18-25 children that will be added to the plan.

I use to pay for a family plan that included me, my wife and my children.
    I am not going to have to pay for each child individually.

Nice to see that the President was out to help the families get affordable
    health care.

I will now be paying $773 dollares a month for Cigna.... which is
    not one of the better plans, but the best that my company now offers.

I could take a cheaper plan, but my daughter has a kidney issue and
    we have to go to Boston's Childrens hospital yearly. The In-Network/Out-Network
    and deductables of the other plans offered scares the hell out
    of me.

I work for a trillion dollar company, One of the 3 largest investment
    banks in America. It is not like I am working for the Walton family.

When I accepted a job with this company in 1985, We had Blue Cross
    Master Health Plus, with no deductable or co-pay. Everything was
    covered 100% and there was NO Cost to the employee.

Good thing they passed that wonderful health care reform......
    I hope everyone has a chance to see their 2011 Health care cost before the November elections.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The healthcare bill sucks.

When that coverage for 18-25 kids was rolled out, I thought to myself, "WHAT THE F#%K IS THAT?" I was working with my own apartment when I was 18...and going to school full time! Some of my friends were engaged or paying rent to their parents while working, but none of them were covered on their parents' plans.

We are so screwed. Delayed adulthood is another result of our culture of fear and sequestered, over-supervised children. And now we're paying for it.

I'm not being sarcastic...seriously.

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

That's true, if you worked for the Walton family your insurance would look something like this:

An average part-time employee electing family coverage under Wal-Mart’s so-called ‘Value’ plan would have to spend between 52% and 93% of his/her total annual income just to cover the premium and medical deductibles.

According to a JP Morgan report issued in January 2006, as well as the infamous internal health care memo authored by Wal-Mart Executive Vice President Susan Chambers, Wal-Mart publicly states it intends to shift hundreds of thousands of full-time workers to part-time status. In the two health care documents, Wal-Mart coldly refers to this shift as a “transition” and now describes part-time workers as “peak-time” employees.

Under the new health care changes, all ‘transitioned’ employees lose most of their benefits, including dental, life insurance and disability immediately, and will lose their health care benefit after one year. In addition, part-time Associates are unable to enroll their spouses. The lack of spousal coverage is consistent with Wal-Mart’s desire to cut health care costs by decreasing spousal coverage. As Chambers states in the memo, “spouses are by far the most expensive plan members to cover.”

Unfortunately, Wal-Mart’s new health care plans continue to remain unaffordable for the average Wal-Mart employee. Wal-Mart’s most affordable health care option, the Value Plan, has a $3,000 deductible for family coverage and several other deductibles for prescription drug coverage and hospital procedures. Most disturbingly, newly transitioned employees who take advantage of this special enrollment will lose any money they have already spent on their deductible and will once again have to pay the full $3,000 deductible.

WakeUpWalMart.com Exposes Wal-Mart's New Health Care Plan

The cost of premiums for Wal-Mart family health insurance has risen 117% since 2000. 15 In comparison, average premiums for family coverage in the United States have increased by 59% since 2000.

Wal-Mart admits that public health care assistance is a "better value" for its employees than its own plans. President and CEO Lee Scott said, "In some of our states, the public (health insurance) program may actually be a better value - with relatively high income limits to qualify, and low premiums.

Wal-Mart employees must wait longer than the average worker to gain access to plans:

Part-time employees must wait two years before they are allowed to enroll and are not eligible to purchase family health care coverage.

Wal-Mart: Change to Win

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +830 / 7 / -2

RomneyCare + Obamacare = They don't care at all.

5. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

Where do we go from here?

My merit increase (usually between 3% & 4% in recent years) will not
    even come close to covering my health care increase.

If this is healthcare reform, what will 2012 & 2013 bring....?

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +510 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

What does Walmart's HC plan have to do with Obamacare?:confused:

Why is it that when someone complains about an Obama or liberal congress policy, some feel it necessary to bring up some irrelevant issue?

Is MrsP actually insinuating that the rest of us need to kick in to help WalMart employees lower their costs? I can see this new HC law getting repealed.

7. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

Mrs P is just being a good liberal....
    She took one small item of my opening statement and put a spin on
    it to attack the right. She ignored the fact that this health care
    reform is a nightmare that will increase health care costs for working families
    far beyond the usual yearly increases..

I was just pointing out that my company use to have GREAT free health care coverage and now I am paying almost $800 a month for my family to have mediocre at best coverage.

Mrs P does not want to address that issue....

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +510 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Yes, it's called "Deflect & re-direct"...a commonly used tactic by liberals like Strudel.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +830 / 7 / -2

In fairness to the two of them, lots of people on all sides of the political isle, do the same.

RomneyCare is gimmick politics. It's called a "I'm planning on running for president in a couple of years, and this will help me nationally" policy. LOL, yeah, it's going to help you alright.

RomneyCare is a joke. All they did was take money from the "freecare" pool, and toss it toward a system where they "required" everyone to have coverage. What these chooches never considered, is the fact that people using the ER without insurance, only do so when they have to. When you give these leaches and freeloaders an actual plan, that covers them every minute, of every day, they're going to use all things medical, much, much more than before. Retahds. Plus, all the handouts to deadbeats means more prozac & celexa for all the mental migits who's boyfriends break up with them, and need the drugs cuz they just can't cope with the fact that johnny doesn't like them anymore. When you pass policies that don't deal with the root problems, you in turn make a bad situation worse. It's gimmick politics. The net result has been premiums in this state rising at twice the national average. GROSS. On top of that, the state has an obligation approaching $2 billion annually. Unsustainable.

Obamacare is a bigger joke. It's Romneycare on steroids, but with all kinds of excemptions for favorites, and all kinds of taxes and fees for everybody else. GROSS.

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

So, let me get this straight, you want to go back to 1985 and have your insurance be free to you - but you want everyone who isn't you to pay for it themselves or go without?

I know - here's some advice that many of the people here give to those who've complained about not having health insurance pre-"ObamaCare."

So go find a job with good benefits.

Go to work for another company that offers you better.

Pay for it yourself, like I do.

Take a high-deductible policy, it costs less.

Just visit the ER - all medical care is free there to the uninsured.

11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Thats pretty funny RW

12. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you really trying to fault him for having found a good job? Also, his insurance wasn't free, his company just paid for it for him as a benifit. It was still getting paid for. You make it sound like HE was getting off free while others were going without because he was somehow magically hording the insurance.

13. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Unfortunately that won't be an option soon. Currently many of the HSA plans with the high deductibles (e.g. $3000 per person $6K for a family to lower premiums by $750 per month)are ideal for people who have to pay for their own coverage but are willing and able to assume the risk of getting sick and paying a high copay or deductible for the benefit of lower premiums. In the Health Care reform Act, it limits the amount of copays and deductibles that an individual can pay, effectively eliminating these plans. I don't have the exact section but my insurance carrier already announced that they are phasing it out which I knew was coming.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,784 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

I still do not understand why the government did not expand Medicare to help people who don't have insurance. The infrastructure was already in place. Why did they feel a need to take over an industry? The government never practices efficiency as we all know.

it could have been free for those that qualified.

then a gradual premium based on income for others.

Those that already have it could keep it.

is that too easy?

15. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

I accepted a job in 1985 that offered free medical insurance
    as a benefit for accepting the job. In the late 80's early 90's
    we had to start making small towards our insurance.
    I did not mind, because it was only like $60 a month for just myself
    The family plan back then was $80 a month wich covered a husband and
    wife and all children.

Now my coverage for myself, my wife and children costs me just under
    $800 a month. If I was still single it would only cost me $208 a month.

Looks like the new system is setup to screw families.....The numbers don't lie....

Early 90's
    Single coverage - $60 a month
    Family plan - $80 a month

Single plan $208 a month
    Family plan (paying for each child) just under $800 a month.

Maybe the 18 - 25 year olds should go out and get a job.
    Time to take a little responsibility........boys and girls.

I had a job at 18 with benefits.......
    I only made $4.40 an hour at age 18, but I had benefits.

What exactly did Obama care do for working families?

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

So, let me get this straight before I argue it with you, ok?

You say you are paying for each child separately, yes? If this is so then you are paying a set amount for each child and that set amount goes up with each child you cover, correct?

So it would be more if you were covering 3 children than if you were covering one, right? And more for 5 children than for 4?

If that's the case, as you describe it, than any family with a child over 18 can tell that child to go out and get a job with benefits on his/her own, correct? There's no law which says you HAVE to cover your children over 18 on your policy, is there? Each family is entirely free to tell their own child to get out there and "take a little responsibility" if they so desire, yes?

Personally, as an adult woman with no dependents left at home I will find it somewhat refreshing if my husband and I do not have to take out a "family" policy but can, instead, pay a lesser amount as a dependent-free unit rather than paying for a "family" plan. There's never been any reason, as far as I can see, that childless couples have been expected to pay the same amount for insurance as a family with, say, three or four children since the law of averages says we are going to use that insurance much less frequently.

Now if I've misunderstood you, and you are paying over $700.00 for yourself, your spouse and one child, I apologize, but you've made it sound as though you are paying some set amount per person covered - which I honestly don't find anything wrong with. It levels the playing field somewhat for those who do not have any children or who have only one child.

Seems quite fair to me if that's the way it's working. It also seems that if that IS the way it's working that there is no family which is forced to pay for their own child who is over 18 and they are entirely within their rights to tell that kid to get his own dam insurance if they so desire.

17. cupofjoe1962

Ratings:
    +126 / 20 / -16

Mrs P.....
    You are correct..... the cost goes up with each child starting 2010.
    Since I joined the company in 1985, there were only 3 types of coverage.

* Single Plan.....
    * Single and Partner (Husband, Wife or domestic partner).
    The domestic parter coverage was added in the late 90's.
    * Family plan.... covered 2 adults and all children.....

Starting this year, you have to pay for every child. They list the reason
    as the change ot the law which allows parents to cover children to
    age 25.

I only have 2 children, and my cost has gone from $255.56 biweekly
    to $381.50 bi weekly....

What about the people with 5 or 6 kids who are already having
    a tough time?

I don't even want to think what they are going to have to pay.

I do not know how many other companies have adopted plan.
    I do know that our company usually does a lot of research on what other
    companies are doing before they implement this type of change.

This sure is not family friendly........ You cannot argue with that !

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

It may not be "family friendly" but neither was the old way "childless friendly" either, was it? And it certainly does seem more fair. Why shouldn't people pay more for more coverage? And you cannot deny that with each additional person on a plan the amount paid out is going to go up for the insurance company. Married couples without children should not be expected to support those with children by having their rates jacked up, should they? By charging per-person instead of a generic "family" rate it gives some of the control back to the individual - which is where everyone seems to feel it belongs, anyhow.

Since we are all expected to be 100% responsible for ourselves it is only logical that we are also expected to be 100% responsible for our families, as well. People should not have more children than they can afford, should they? Isn't that one of the things that people complain about welfare families? That people shouldn't have children they cannot afford?

Your previous $255.00 biweekly amount for 4 people was virtually the same thing that MrP and I paid biweekly for 2 people this past year. That hardly seems fair, does it? Not only do we pay the same amount for our health insurance, the family with the children get a tax write-off in the form of a tax deduction, as well, which means that when all is said and done, the two of us are paying more to live than a family of four does.

Personally, I find it kinda nice to see that even out a little.

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +510 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I guess I'm very fortunate. My co's HC has only gone up $10/month over the past 5 years. I have BC/BS of California and my plan (single person) costs me $30/month.

I've been holding my breath ever since I learned that the new HC bill became law.

20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,784 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Oh man ... you better get the big jar of lube out.