PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My ideal draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

big mike

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I've been thinking about viewing the draft with a different approach. Setting the priority positions (IMO - LB (3-4 OLB/ILB), WR, RB, OL, and CB, with a 3rd string QB being interesting on day 2, and perhaps K), and find 20 or so players that are appealing at those spots *for the Patriots*, throughout the draft at places we could be picking (i.e. so ignore people in the top 15 or so, etc.). This list of 20 to perhaps 30 or so would be made with the goal of having perhaps a couple of options that could be available at each draft spot - although on day 2 you can't narrow people down that accurately, so for those it's more of just people who could be there in a big range.

That said, my top priority is getting a replacement for either Willie or TJ. The draft this year is loaded with talent at OLB (and DE/OLB tweeners), not ILB. So, getting a replacement for Willie makes more sense.

With all the talent at LB this year, I'd like to see us take at least two - possibly even three.

In round 1, the players I like in the 20-27 or so range are:
Bobby Carpenter (OLB)
Manny Lawson (OLB convert from DE)
DeAngelo Williams (RB)
Chad Jackson (WR)

Some people would put some CBs there, but I don't see that as a top priority. Of the four above, I'd prefer Carpenter - he fills the biggest immediate need, could start in week 1, is a perfect fit for a 3-4, and could learn ILB as well. Add to that that he's been working out with Vrabel for quite a while, and the fact that he's likely to last longer into round 1 than the other three (due to not all that many teams playing a 3-4), and we could trade down perhaps 5 picks or more and still get him easily (especially if NY Giants sign a FA OLB, such as Arrington - so they won't be looking at LB in round 1).

So, my top wish is I'd like to see us trade down about 5 picks in the first round (picking up perhaps a 3rd rounder?) and take Bobby Carpenter - primarily an OLB now, but he could learn ILB well.

Jumping ahead (later in the draft) for a moment - I'd like to also see us take at least one of these three later on : Ryan LaCasse, Chris GoCong, or Kai Parham. All three will likely be 3rd-5th round picks. LaCasse and GoCong are appealing as DE->OLB converts, with LaCasse having great physical tools to be a stellar 3-4 OLB, and great intangibles. Of the three, he's perhaps the one I'd like the best. But, if one of the others slips down into the 5th round, they'd definitely be worth taking there - giving us a stellar group of young 3-4 LBs for years to come IMO.

I don't have a full list of the 20-30 players I like at our positions of need, and spread throughout the draft yet, but I'd like to make one - seems like it could be a nice approach. For example, I see RB being another top need (not for this year, but as an RB of the future). While the 4 guys that will go late 1 early 2 are appealing (Williams, White, Maroney, and Addai), I'd prefer to go with Carpenter there - and there are some RBs later in the draft who I feel are almost as good. The RBs I'm looking at are:
Brian Calhoun (5'9", 205ish, 4.45 - plays bigger than he is though)
Jerrius Norwood (5'11.5" 210ish, 4.4 speed )

These guys could end up being had in the 3rd round, and could be great value there. Calhoun will likely go in round 2 though (and Norwood could drop into day 2, although his workouts are likely putting him on day 1). Addai is very appealing, but likely will go in the top of round 2 - which would mean trading up. Still an option though, and should be on the list of RBs to keep an eye on.

A couple of perhaps surprising prospects I'd put on the total list are a few QBs who could convert to WRs, and will be available on day 2 (most of them at least):
Michael Robinson (Penn) and Brad Smith (Missouri). They could be interesting possibilities later on in day 2 as guys who could serve as the 3rd string QB (behind Cassel), while potentially developing into decent WRs.

Need to find some day 2 OLmen to add to the list. I'm thinking that most likely BB will take a CB somewhere in round 2-4 - and likely someone none of us expect. He seems to have a knack for finding surprise-pick CBs, who we all say "huh?" when we see them get drafted - but then turn out pretty good. Since I think that's more likely for him to do as far as CBs, I'm not even going to bother putting CBs on the list.

I'm with you on your #1. I would love to have Carpenter to be part of this team. Many scout's have him as the most versatile LB in the draft and I think under Bruschi and Vrabel(another Buckeye} he will be the cream of the crop.

Carpenter is my dream pick. Has been for a while now. He got a Patriot logo tattoo on his arm, I've heard...... :rocker:

highly doubt he does but he would be a good pick. my dream pick was Michael Huff but hes a top 10 now so :(

i'd say OLB is our best bet for the first round....lawson, wimbley, greenway or carpenter....one or two will be there when we pick

ayjackson said:
i'd say OLB is our best bet for the first round....lawson, wimbley, greenway or carpenter....one or two will be there when we pick
I like Wimbley and Greenway out of that group. Wimbley is really athletic and Greenway has really good pass coverage insticts. Lawson is interesting but 20 pounds lighter than Wimbley (from the numbers I've seen) and Carpenter's coverage ability is questioned.

BelichickFan said:
I like Wimbley and Greenway out of that group. Wimbley is really athletic and Greenway has really good pass coverage insticts. Lawson is interesting but 20 pounds lighter than Wimbley (from the numbers I've seen) and Carpenter's coverage ability is questioned.
Greenway has been surprisingly weak at the combines and Pro Day. Carpenter just seems like more of a Patriot LB - the fact that he's been working out with Vrabel for quite a while certainly helps, but his size and style of play just seem like a perfect fit. I'll probably be really disappointed if we end up with anyone other than him in round 1.

Right now, I'm thinking that my dream offseason will be if we can get Javon Walker (WR) from Green Bay for our second 3rd round pick (what the Pats are supposedly offering. Hell, throw in a 4th rounder too), take Carpenter in round 1 (only trading down if NY Giants sign Arrington or another high priced LB in FA, as otherwise they'd probably take Carpenter at 25, or trade up to get him), and come out of round 2 with either Joseph Addai or Brian Calhoun, as an RB to prep under Dillon for a year or two (preferably Addai - better size). Round 3 could go CB (with the other pick going for Walker).

On day 2, I'd like to see the Pats pick up at least one of the other LBs I mentioned - Kai Parham (who could be a steal for a run stuffing ILB, due to his slow 40 times) and/or Ryan LaCasse (as a DE-OLB tweener project). Grab at least one OLman on day 2, a #3 TE, and a wildcard pick of one of the QBs who could convert to WR, and that would be just about perfect for me.

Carpenter would immediately solidify the front 7, with Parham and LaCasse being depth (and it's probably a safe bet that one or the other could potentially develop into a starter caliber player). The trade for Walker would give a huge boost to the WR corps. The 2nd round RB (Addai or Calhoun) would for the first year or two just serve in the RB rotation, until hopefully being able to take over in his 3rd year as the starter. Day 2 OLman (or 2 of them) would add depth (and there will be some very good ones available then). Day 2 TE adds depth, and we could possibly get someone like Mercedes Lewis, whose stock is dropping way down due to a slow 40 at the combine. There are several decent TEs who will likely slip into day 2 that would be serviceable backups, with the potential to develop into great players (Klopfenstein, Lewis, Tim Day, Owen Daniels, Jeff King, Tony Scheffler, David Thomas).

I think the TE I see as the most likely Pats target on day 2 might be David Thomas from Texas.

Overall, I think it makes the most sense to target LB in round 1 (CARPENTER!!!!!!!), an RB in round 2 (unless we don't get a WR in FA), a CB in round 3, and then look for value at TE and OL on day 2, as well as developmental LB (in particular DE OLB tweeners) prospects on day 2.

big mike said:
Greenway has been surprisingly weak at the combines and Pro Day. Carpenter just seems like more of a Patriot LB - the fact that he's been working out with Vrabel for quite a while certainly helps, but his size and style of play just seem like a perfect fit.
I agree with you on Greenway, the thing I like about him is he's probably the best coverage LB in the draft and that is very appealing to me.

BelichickFan said:
I agree with you on Greenway, the thing I like about him is he's probably the best coverage LB in the draft and that is very appealing to me.
I can understand that. It's a tough choice I think, if given the option of either Greenway or Carpenter. Carpenter is a good deal stronger, and I think overall is a better fit for the 3-4 (at either OLB or ILB). But, Greenway would definitely be a better cover LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes