PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My horizontal draft chart - Offensive "skill" positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
After the combine, this is what my board looks like. I'm sure things will move up and down, especially with some Pro Days or more research. I didn't include players that would be long gone by the time the Patriots draft. I can see them trading up a few places, but not many. Heights and Weights are official from the combine when available, estimated when not. Red=Quarterbacks, Blue=Running Back, Green=Wide Receiver, Purple=Tight End:

1st:
Leonard Pope 6-8,255 Georgia

Late 1st, Early 2nd:
Joseph Addai 5-11, 214 LSU
LenDale White 61/2, 238 USC
Laurence Maroney 5-11, 205 Minnesota

Santonio Holmes 5-101/2,198 Ohio State
Derek Hagan 6-2, 208 Arizona State
Chad Jackson 6-0, 213 Florida

2nd:

Late 2nd, Early 3rd:
Mike Hass 6-1, 210 Oregon State
Jason Avant 6-0, 210 Michigan

Joel Klopfenstein 6-5, 250 Colorado
Dominique Byrd 6-2, 252 Southern California

3rd:
Hank Baskett 6-2, 220 New Mexico
Martin Nance 6-4, 208 Miami (Ohio)
Maurice Stovall 6-4, 216 Notre Dame

Omar Jacobs 6-4, 224 Bowling Green
Kellen Clemens 6-2, 220 Oregon
Brodie Croyle 6-21/2, 205 Alabama

Late 3rd, Early 4th:
DonTrell Moore 5-10, 210 New Mexico
Mike Bell 6-0, 221 Arizona
Wali Lundy 5-11, 214 Virginia

Jeff Webb 6-2, 200 San Diego State
Jonathan Orr 6-2, 195 Wisconsin
Todd Watkins 6-3, 185 BYU

Tim Day 6-3, 265 Oregon
David Thomas 6-3, 240 Texas

4th:
Jeremy Bloom 5-9, 173 Colorado
Devin Aromashodu 6-2, 202 Auburn
Chris Hannon 6-3, 195 Tennessee
Marques Colston 6-5, 225 Hofstra

Bruce Gradkowski 6-1, 220 Toledo
Drew Olson 6-4, 220 UCLA

Late 4th-Early 5th:

5th:
Terrance Whitehead 5-10, 213 Oregon
Wendell Mathis 5-10, 215 Fresno State
P.J. Daniels 5-10, 214 Georgia Tech

Ingle Martin 6-3, 219 Furman
Paul Pinegar 6-5, 220 Fresno State
Charlie Whitehurst 6-5, 224 Clemson

Owen Daniels 6-3 250 Wisconsin
Troy Bieneman 6-5, 260 Washington State
Jeff King 6-5, 255 Virginia Tech

Late 5th-Early 6th:
Brandon Marshall 6-5, 230 Central Florida
Miles Austin 6-2, 230 Monmouth
Jovon Bouknight 6-1, 195 Wyoming

6th:
Damien Rhodes 5-11, 217 Syracuse
Jerious Norwood 5-11, 205 Mississippi State
Gerald Riggs 6-0, 215 Tennessee

Quinn Sypniewski 6-7, 265 Colorado
Jason Pociask 6-3, 260 Wisconsin

7th-UDFA:
Taurean Henderson 5-91/2, 204 Texas Tech
Jason Carter 6-0, 205 Texas A&M
Richie Ross 6-4, 205 Nebraska-Kearney
Ed Hinkel 6-1, 200 Iowa
David Anderson 5-10, 192 Colorado State
Marques Hagans 5-10, 215 Virginia
Adam Jennings 5-10, 175 Fresno State

Erik Meyer 6-1, 215 Eastern Washington
Quinton Porter 6-5, 235 Boston College
Barrick Nealy 6-5, 235 Texas State
Corey Bramlett 6-3, 230 Wyoming

Greg Estandia 6-8, 255 UNLV

No comments? I'm generally not a soliciting comment whore, but I figured there'd be agreements and disagreements to come to a consensus, and that somebody (Box, Ochmed, Patchick) would do something similar for linemen or dbs.

Last edited:
Guess I didn't totally understand your board

My confusion begins with Leonard Pope. I'm assuming you built this board from a BB/SP perspective and these are players you would want.

Why would we want Leonard Pope first, especially before LenDale White?

There were other questions also that come to mind without going back to the list.

Omar Jacobs?
Derek Hagan? (I can't get past how poorly he looked in the Senior Bowl).

p8ryts said:
My confusion begins with Leonard Pope. I'm assuming you built this board from a BB/SP perspective and these are players you would want.

Why would we want Leonard Pope first, especially before LenDale White?

There were other questions also that come to mind without going back to the list.

Omar Jacobs?
Derek Hagan? (I can't get past how poorly he looked in the Senior Bowl).

Re Pope: It's more a value board than a need board.

Re Hagan: I didn't see much of the senior bowl, but I did see a good part of his sophomore and junior seasons at ASU. And I understand his senior year wasn't disappointing.

Thanks for the comments. I'd like to get a Patsfans board over the next month that we can use heading into the draft.

Last edited:
So this means?

You think Pope presents the most value (or is the best player available) where you think the Pats could have a reasonable chance for a selection?

p8ryts said:
You think Pope presents the most value (or is the best player available) where you think the Pats could have a reasonable chance for a selection?

Out of the players whom I think they're looking at closely, I think he has the highest grade. If he's on the board at 21, do I think they're going to draft him? No, they'll probably trade down. But if nobody is willing to trade up, then I think he'd be the guy, and Daniel Graham would be out of town when his rookie deal is up.

dryheat44 said:
No comments? I'm generally not a soliciting comment whore, but I figured there'd be agreements and disagreements to come to a consensus, and that somebody (Box, Ochmed, Patchick) would do something similar for linemen or dbs.
You cheap sl...er, ahem, well, it is an interesting board, I guess what would help discussion would be a brief "Pats' value" assessment for each of your prospects that would highlight their draft grade. For example: You list Jeremy Bloom in the 4th round, pretty good value for a guy who has been out of football for two years. What does he offer that someone else, such as Brandon Williams, couldn't provide?

I looked at it and thought it was a nice effort for this point in the draft, subject to change. You've noticed my weekly position specific approach, this week I got around to looking at WRs for the first time; assessing your board regarding WRs I see some difference of opinion. I have no WR with a first round grade, Holmes the consensus favorite, I've never seen play or tested, but I understand he is a junior, that alone bumps him down for me.

WRs tend to be high strung, high energy players, and after turning football analyst this season, I find I want more maturity in my prospects. I would also look at it from a complementary perspective, Deion is a precision, deep threat with a serious case of the quicks. D-Giv was precision and power and Troy was medium quickness, precision, and sneaky. Dwight helped by being a change of pace that stretched the field and had quickness and sneakiness - kind of like putting a watered down Deion with Troy genes on the other side of the field for specific situations.

BB seems to be developing a Troy replacement with Bam and mixing in Andre as a vertical irritant for the defense. I put Hass at the top of my board because he appears to bring a complimentary precision/power game to Deion's and Bam's, one that would develop quicker then some other players.

Brandon Marshall is my number two because of his post-season production - it was consistent with what has been written about his regular season. Under the pressure cooker of a bowl game, an All-Star game, and the Combine, he kept producing. Stoval, Avant, and Jennings a little less so. The thing with Marshall, I can see him taking number one receiver away from Deion in multiple receiver sets, but Deion would still be Tommy's go to and BB's choice for the single wideout sets.

I have trouble picturing Holmes whom I understand is fast and has good hands, I just don't know enough about him to picture him in a Pats' formation. Hagans kept dropping balls in the Senior Bowl and at the Combine, he's now late second day. Jackson looked interesting, but very raw, I didn't see the precision I want in a number two or a challenger for number one. D-Giv's great value is his ability to be where Tommy wants him, when he wants him - that's my standard.

Bump your board back up in three weeks and we'll argue TEs. :singing:

I like the Box's WR's better

I agree with his write up. Mike Haas is a good one, like a Jurevicius. He would be good, not the fastest, but would get open and as BB likes to say "catch the ball".

I enjoyed Dryheat's tabulation ... but lack the "know-who" to judge or critique it.

Box's discussion was enormously informative.

Thanks, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes