PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Hopeful Offseason Plan Part Two

hornetfb85

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Boy was I wrong the first time, so I'm gonna try this again:

Start with the current roster:

Offense

QB (2): T. Brady / J. Garoppolo (I'd say were good here)
RB/FB (6): L. Blount / B. Bolden / J. White / T. Cadet / Team Battle # 1 / J. Develin
WR (6): J. Edelman / B. LaFell / D. Amendola / A. Dobson / Team Battle # 2 / M. Slater
TE (3): R. Gronkowski / S. Chandler / Team Battle # 3
T (4): N. Solder / S. Vollmer / M. Cannon / Draft Pick
C/G (5): B. Stork / R. Wendell / C. Fleming / Draft Pick / J. Kline

26 Total

Defense

DE (4): C. Jones / R. Ninkovich / J. Sheard / Z. Moore
DT (5): S. Siliga / D. Easley / A. Branch / C. Jones / Draft Pick
LB (5): J. Collins / D. Hightower / J. Mayo / Draft Pick / Team Battle #4
CB (5): K. Arrington / M. Butler / L. Ryan / Team Battle #5 / Draft Pick
S (5): D. McCourty / P. Chung / D. Harmon / T. Wilson / N. Ebner

24 Total

Team Battle # 1 (RB)
Jonas Gray
Tyler Gaffney

Team Battle # 2 (WR)
Brandon Gibson
Brian Tyms
Josh Boyce

Team Battle # 3 (TE)
Tim Wright
Michael Hoomanawanui

Team Battle # 4 (LB / ST)
Jonathan Freeny
Chris White
James Morris
Darius Fleming

Team Battle # 5 (CB)
Alfonzo Dennard
Bradley Fletcher
Robert McClain
Chimdi Chekwa

Fully aware this is not how the roster will shape up, but just going with what I believe is possible from our roster right now.

Boy was I wrong the first time, so I'm gonna try this again:

Start with the current roster:

Offense

QB (2): T. Brady / J. Garoppolo (I'd say were good here)
RB/FB (6): L. Blount / B. Bolden / J. White / T. Cadet / Team Battle # 1 / J. Develin
WR (6): J. Edelman / B. LaFell / D. Amendola / A. Dobson / Team Battle # 2 / M. Slater
TE (3): R. Gronkowski / S. Chandler / Team Battle # 3
T (4): N. Solder / S. Vollmer / M. Cannon / Draft Pick
C/G (5): B. Stork / R. Wendell / C. Fleming / Draft Pick / J. Kline

26 Total

Defense

DE (4): C. Jones / R. Ninkovich / J. Sheard / Z. Moore
DT (5): S. Siliga / D. Easley / A. Branch / C. Jones / Draft Pick
LB (5): J. Collins / D. Hightower / J. Mayo / Draft Pick / Team Battle #4
CB (5): K. Arrington / M. Butler / L. Ryan / Team Battle #5 / Draft Pick
S (5): D. McCourty / P. Chung / D. Harmon / T. Wilson / N. Ebner

24 Total

Team Battle # 1 (RB)
Jonas Gray
Tyler Gaffney

Team Battle # 2 (WR)
Brandon Gibson
Brian Tyms
Josh Boyce

Team Battle # 3 (TE)
Tim Wright
Michael Hoomanawanui

Team Battle # 4 (LB / ST)
Jonathan Freeny
Chris White
James Morris
Darius Fleming

Team Battle # 5 (CB)
Alfonzo Dennard
Bradley Fletcher
Robert McClain
Chimdi Chekwa

Fully aware this is not how the roster will shape up, but just going with what I believe is possible from our roster right now.

LINEBACKER

I don't expect a draftee linebacker to make the team (unless Mayo can't go).

In our defense, we play an average of 2.3 LB's. We are fine with Mayo, Collins and Hightower. I would note that both Ninkovich and Sheard have considerable experience at LB.

In 2014, Belichick was comfortable with one of the backups being on the Practice Squad. Both Fleming and Skinner were active when there were injuries.

I see us carrying two LB/Sters and having an additional couple of LB's on the Practice Squad.

WIDE RECEIVER

I don't consider Dobson a lock. Also, Belichick might have 4 WR's on the roster as he did for much of 2014, with a couple on the Practice Squad.

We would have Edelman, Lafell, Amendola and a 4th (Dobson or Dorsey or Gibson or Tyms). We also would have Gronkowski and Chandler. As was the case in 2014, the 4th WR would get almost no reps. The 5th and 6th could be on the Practice Squad as was the case in 2014.

AS AN ASIDE
I currently have 11 team battles. If I presume that 5 draftees will make the squad (as you do), then I have 6 camp battles. As I said, that roster spot is "Roster Spot 53" which you have given to a 5th WR. I think that this spot is simply open.

All makes perfect sense. Wondering if we go 4 WR and 4Te with Hooman as the blocking TE and Wright as the 4thTE/5th WR.

Do agree that Dobson better show up to play or he might be goin to that veteran combine next year.

All makes perfect sense. Wondering if we go 4 WR and 4Te with Hooman as the blocking TE and Wright as the 4thTE/5th WR.

We could. My personal choice is to go with 25 players on offense, including Slater.

QB 2
RB 5 (Blount, RB2, Cadet, White, Bolden)
FB 1
WR 4
TE 3
OL 9
ST 1

If one were to keep a 5th WR or 4th TE, the position would need to come from somewhere.

LINEBACKER

I don't expect a draftee linebacker to make the team (unless Mayo can't go).

In our defense, we play an average of 2.3 LB's. We are fine with Mayo, Collins and Hightower. I would note that both Ninkovich and Sheard have considerable experience at LB.

In 2014, Belichick was comfortable with one of the backups being on the Practice Squad. Both Fleming and Skinner were active when there were injuries.

I see us carrying two LB/Sters and having an additional couple of LB's on the Practice Squad.

And, it was such a poor roster decision by Belichick he was forced trade for not one, but two veteran linebackers. I hope our 4th LB can play. Was dumb to lose Fletcher and not replace him. It will be equally dumb to lose Ayers and Casillas. And, not replace them, go get a 4-3 OLB who can play in space.

Hightower and Mayo are both coming off serious injuries. You're not worried about depth behind them?

Who does everyone think the 3rd TE will be. Was positive it was going to be Wright for most of the offseason, but I think Hooman just got a roster bonus so it would have made sense to cut him before that not after. Now I'm not sure whats gonna happen.

Who does everyone think the 3rd TE will be. Was positive it was going to be Wright for most of the offseason, but I think Hooman just got a roster bonus so it would have made sense to cut him before that not after. Now I'm not sure whats gonna happen.

I think they don't know yet. They probably figured that Hooman's roster bonus was small enough not to get worked up over. Then they'll want to see how they perform during camp, and decide at that point who can add more value to the team in their respective roles as Hooman's more of a blocking TE and Wright has been playing the move TE position.

All things being equal, I would prefer it to be Wright since I think that he could potentially add a different element to the offense including red zone size, but it's up to Wright to earn the spot.

Agree. Just wasn't sure what that bonus was and if it was significant. Also was thinking with them using that 6th lineman more and more that the blocking TE may not be as crucial as before. Really like what both of them bring though, or could possibly bring. We know what were gonna get from Hooman, Wright is still the unknown to us fans really.

All things being equal, I would prefer it to be Wright since I think that he could potentially add a different element to the offense including red zone size, but it's up to Wright to earn the spot.

I suspect that Belichick thinks that Chandler is an adequate TE red zone target, in addition to Gronk.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back