PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My gut prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key to this game will be which team can put pressure on the other teams QB; last year in the AFCCG, Manning played like crap in the first half and there was pressure on him. In the second half, the defense wilted and he had all kinds of time to find the open reciever and the rest is history.

If we pressure him and force him into bad passes/INT's, we're good; if not, we're screwed.

Same deal with Brady; if he has all day to throw, between Moss, Stallworth and Welker, he will find the open man.

It's pretty amazing to think back to the WR's he had to work with in the AFCCG vs what he has now, the term night and day comes to mind....................

The key to this game will be which team can put pressure on the other teams QB; last year in the AFCCG, Manning played like crap in the first half and there was pressure on him. In the second half, the defense wilted and he had all kinds of time to find the open reciever and the rest is history.

If we pressure him and force him into bad passes/INT's, we're good; if not, we're screwed.

Same deal with Brady; if he has all day to throw, between Moss, Stallworth and Welker, he will find the open man.

It's pretty amazing to think back to the WR's he had to work with in the AFCCG vs what he has now, the term night and day comes to mind....................

one point that we saw this past week which will be huge is we have a legit ILB in AD and Vrabel will enter this season in the groove as OLB.

My gut says throw it down - I've offered to put money up against anyone at my work for the Pats in a straight up win.

Amazing how the Colts talk quieted after that :D

I don't think we have to pressure Manning to win. I think we can cover and win as well. The trick is covering with all of the guys who arent cornerbacks. We historically do a good job on the outside receivers. The problem is that in the AFFC the LBs and S couldn't stay with their men in the second half. Of course, almost everyone who was trying to by the 2nd half, and/or 4th quarter will not be the guys on the field this time, because we wont be missing most of our LBs and S due to injury before or during the game.

I am fine with playing coverage against Manning as long as we play team defense. If one guy can't cover Manning will find it. We have had tremendous success vs Manning playing disguised zones. In 2005, when we had a makeshift secondary, we couldn't cover anyone, so we forget how well that worked prior to 2005.

I don't think we have to pressure Manning to win. I think we can cover and win as well. The trick is covering with all of the guys who arent cornerbacks. We historically do a good job on the outside receivers. The problem is that in the AFFC the LBs and S couldn't stay with their men in the second half. Of course, almost everyone who was trying to by the 2nd half, and/or 4th quarter will not be the guys on the field this time, because we wont be missing most of our LBs and S due to injury before or during the game.

I am fine with playing coverage against Manning as long as we play team defense. If one guy can't cover Manning will find it. We have had tremendous success vs Manning playing disguised zones. In 2005, when we had a makeshift secondary, we couldn't cover anyone, so we forget how well that worked prior to 2005.

By the way, in either case, the key to our D is the LBs, whether they are rushing the passer or covering. And I feel pretty good about that.

I believe Seymour upgrades the run defense big time and we'll see this on Sunday.

If the Pats OL can overcome that loud dome and protect Brady well AND the defense can stop the big play from happening, than I don't see anyway the Colts hang with the Pats.

If Mathis and Freeney get pressure on Brady and Manning and company have their way with us down field, it could get dicey.

But I really like our chances in this one.

I think with ALL the hype... if things go terribly wrong next Sunday for New England and Moss isn't involved in a bad loss, things could unravel.

Just my two pennies. Nothing more to back it up on. Just a hunch.
If you nothing to back it up ..... DON'T POST YOUR BS ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

BB has had a slow burn ever since the AFCCG...I think he may pull out all the stops for this game,should be quite a show...

BB has had a slow burn ever since the AFCCG...I think he may pull out all the stops for this game,should be quite a show...
I seriously don't think so. I predict a tactical offensive game plan for the New England Patriots offense this time around somewhat similar to the second half of the 2004 AFC Divisional Playoffs. I fully expect at least twenty rushing attempts for Laurence Maroney with the emphasis to wear down the Colts undersized defensive line. The play action pass will be utilized more often against the Colts than any previous game this season. The Washington Redskins defense was a good preview of the Colts defensive philosophy against the New England Patriots offense. Play cover two defense, run the ball down their proverbial throats.

I'm expecting a more lower score than most. I feel that both offenses are going to try to "out possession" each other by trying to keep the ball out of each other's hands. Im not saying that they will be able to stop each other, its just that a lot of time will be run down which will lead to fewer possessions which will lead to fewer points.

I feel that Pats can keep the Colts defense on the field longer. I predict a 34 - 24 score Pats!!!

I'm with you. Even your score sounds about right. Ironically, I believe the only way the Colts win is to bump the receivers off their routes downfield (and not get called for it), disrupting the timing of the Pats passing game and even causing turnovers.

In the Carolina game yesterday, Vinny's endzone INT was a timing pattern and the receiver was knocked off his route about 20 yards downfield. Pretty obvious illegal contact that wasn't called. Still counts as a killer turnover and potentially a game-changer (TD there would have made the score 14-3...Panthers suck but who knows?).

It would only take 1 or 2 of those scenarios to change the entire complexion of the game. Playing this game on paper (where the Pats are better and maybe significantly better) doesn't work for me since these types of situations will likely play a huge role in this game (missed calls, tipped passes, etc.)...things you couldn't possibly predict beforehand. Some of these situations are created, but some are just fortune either smiling or crapping on you.

I would like to see the Patriots control the ball for about 37 mins.

They need to pass to set up the run and then run it all night.

But our defense is just as good. Through half the season, it is allowing only 1 more point per game than the 2003 team that set a franchise record.

FWIW, I think that's a little hard to compare 2003 to this year because the scores have been so out of whack this year. It's taken the other team out of playing a balanced offense with the Patriots playing pass D most of the game.

I would like to see the Patriots control the ball for about 37 mins.

They need to pass to set up the run and then run it all night.

They need to take what's there. If Sanders is in the box all game, why run?

If Mathis and Freeney get pressure on Brady and Manning and company have their way with us down field, it could get dicey.
So you are predicting that if their D outplays our O, and their O outplays our D, we could be in trouble?

Daring prediction! :D

I just have to comment on the Randy Moss thing. Just because he's not making a lot of catches doesn't mean he's not greatly affecting the game. The Redskins concentrated so hard on stopping Moss that they left the short middle wide open for Welker, Faulk and Maroney. Moss has a big effect on the game even if he isn't catching the balls.

Last edited:
They need to take what's there. If Sanders is in the box all game, why run?

Well if they pass to set up the run why would Sanders be in the box?

You see the idea of the pass, ah nevermind.

I see this game as the first of many downfalls of Randy Moss.
He has already had several downfalls, in that he had terrible games stat-wise.

He had only 59 yards against the Cowboys.

Against the 'Skins he had 3 catches for 47 yards.

He had 3 catched for 46 yards and no TDs against Cleveland.

If the Colts game plan is to stop Moss, it can be done.

It just won't help you win the game, that's all.

While you are focusing on Moss, Welker and Stallworth will destroy you.

This is an offense the likes of which I have NEVER seen before.

think with ALL the hype... if things go terribly wrong next Sunday for New England and Moss isn't involved in a bad loss, things could unravel.
Are you still working with the "Moss is a cancer" line of thinking? That if he doesn't get the ball, he's going to self-destruct?

The Pats-Skins game is on NFL Network this week. When they replay it, watch Brady's TD run. Watch Moss completely beat his coverage. Look at him all alone in the endzone, hand held high to get Brady's attention. Watch Brady start to throw, then pull it down and run for the TD. See Moss run to Brady and give him a hug and a cngratulatory tap on the helmet.

This guy gets it. He really does.

More likely to me is that the Colts get run over, then lose to the Chargers.

We'll know in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back