PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Gut Instinct for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
my gut feeling is we make it to 19-0 a lot of people may laugh at me, but i seriously think we have a chance at it, but then again, only god knows the outcome of this upcoming season

I'm not afraid of going deep into the season undefeated, but I hope we see an improvement in the team down the stretch, rather than killing teams early and struggling late like we did last year.

1. Don't we forget how Randal almost had his forearm broken early in the SB? Maybe if we had a faster pass rush corners don't have to cover as long. I'd keep Randall unless you want Duane Starkes as nickel back.

2. So you are gonna take Rodney off the field in passing downs? He was a pretty good blitzer, but if the pass rush is improved he won't need to. Sanders and Merriweather aren't as good blitzers.

3. Who else is gonna pass rush? I've been endorsing get a one trick pony in the 3rd or 4th round. A drummerville type.... pick up a pass rushing d-e

4. I think this is the year we are gonna see BB goes after Gholston as he's freak athletically and it's BB chance to get his merriman or ware.

I just hope BB goes back to his original motto. If a player can't tackle what can I do with him.

Tweak a few positions?
We play five linebackers (we are a 3-4 defense). We are now short THREE
We "start" three corners (including nickel). We are now short TWO
We are down to three safeties, with no backups.
Consider 2005 to evaluae our ability to deal with replacing linebackers.

Yes, we fixed the offense in one year last year. That is because we had only one issue. Also, top wide receivers can contribute much faster than LB's.

We are not short three starting LBs in the 3-4. We have Thomas and Vrabel. We need two starters and maybe two rotational guys. If Bruschi and/or Seau come back and we add Pace and Hobson, I might go as far to say that our LB corp may be significantly improved.

We aren't down any CBs yet. Word is that Gay will likely return. We will have to replace Samuel though. Mike Richardson will be returning too and he looked like he had a lot of potential. He MIGHT have a break out year this year (and that means being solid as a nickel or dime player). Our depth at CB may be better this year may be better than last by only resigning Gay.

We have the same top 3 safeties as we had at the end of last year. Yes, we lose Wilson, but he was our fourth safety towards the end of last year. The reason why Wilson won't come back is because he has become expendable. We may need another back up safety, but is that really a big deal?

As for 2005, I do admit the Pats did a poor job planning for the possibility of Tedy Bruschi having a stroke. 2005 was an unique year for our LB corp. Chad Brown was a desperation move. I don't think they planned to use Besiel the way they did either.

As far as I see it we need to add three players to defense to make it a dominant defense - Two LBs and a CB. We had to replace our entire WR corp and replace our best blocking TE last year. I don't see the Pats having to do much more on defense as they have to do on offense last offseason.

In the 2003 offseason, we had to replaced our entire secondary (gone were Otis Smith, Lawyer Milloy, and Tebucky Jones replaced by Rodney, Tyrone Poole, and Eugene Wilson), the NT position (Steve Martin replaced by Ted Washington), and we tried to improve the LB position (adding Colvin). We did a much greater overhaul in the 2003 offseason including switching to the 3-4 as more of a permanent base defense. That is a heck of a lot more than we have to do now.

There is no guarantees the Pats can make these changes, but to push the panick button before the free agency period even starts is a little crazy. Three weeks from now we could potentially have the combination of any of these players on our roster who aren't now: Calvin Pace, Victor Hobson (who already knows the Pats system to allieve your concern about the learning curve), Bruschi, Gay, Seau, Ty Law, Clark Haggan (comes from a 3-4 defense), Kawika Mitchell, Lito Shepard, etc. I think the Patriots have the opportunity to upgrade this defense with two or three moves other than resigning some of their own players.

We need to find the players

I like the concept but need to find the right players

i dont think we go undefeated next year....but i do see us winning the SB

i dont think we go undefeated next year....but i do see us winning the SB

We learned the lesson that you can't take Super Bowl victories for granted just b/c you are the best team in the league.

We will likely be the best team in the league next season, whether we win the Super Bowl or not is another question.

1) How does a forearm injury keep you from staying close to any receivers? I dont think the reason to keep a weak player is because you can name a weaker one.
2) As I said I'm OK with Rodney in nickel/dime and 2 minute if he is playing a LB position. Blitzing is fine, covering WRs is not.
3) I was talking about changes to make clearly the guy who fill the role of change isnt on the roster yet.
4) I think Golston is very overhyped, and OLB is not a prioirity for us. I would like a first round corner, possibly after a trade down.

1. I think the apss rush was overall weak in the Giants game in light of the rpessure the giants came with. if yoou ahve a weak pass rush it makes the corners job that much mroe difficult to do.

4. Gholston may be overhyped and he could be a stud or could be a dud. But couldn't the same be said of merriman and ware? and in general you could say that about most top 10 picks. everyone is a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back