PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My first (and last) 1st round mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganMankinsPancakeBlocks

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I really don't know enough about college football to do more than 1 round and I'm not going to do trades because I have no idea what trades are going to happen/which teams are even talking right now.

1. Miami Dolphins: Jake Long, Michigan.
2. St. Louis Rams: Glen Dorsey, LSU.
3. Atlanta Falcons: Sedric Ellis, USC.
4. Oakland Raiders: Darren McFadden, Arkansas.
5. Kansas City Chiefs: Chris Long, Virginia.
6. New York Jets: Matt Ryan, Boston College.
7. New England Patriots: Vernon Gholston, Ohio State.
8. Baltimore Ravens: Branden Albert, Virginia.
9. Cincinatti Bengals: Keith Rivers, USC.
10. New Orleans Saints: Leodis McKelvin, Troy.
11. Buffalo Bills: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State.
12. Denver Broncos: Ryan Clady, Boise State.
13. Carolina Panthers: Derrick Harvey, Florida.
14. Chicago Bears: Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh.
15. Detroit Lions: Jonathan Stewart, Oregon.
16. Arizona Cardinals: Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois.
17. Kansas City: Chris Williams, Vanderbilt.
18. Houston Texans: Mike Jenkins, South Florida.
19. Philadelphia Eagles: Devin Thomas, Michigan State.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: James Hardy, Indiana.
21. Washington Redskins: Philip Merling, Clemson.
22. Dallas Cowboys: Felix Jones, Arkansas.
23. Pittsburgh Steelers: Gosder Cherilus, Boston College.
24. Tennessee Titans: Limas Sweed, Texas.
25. Seattle Seahawks: Dustin Keller, Purdue.
26. Jacksonville Jaguars: Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State.
27. San Diego Chargers: Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina.
28. Dallas Cowboys: Aquib Talib, Kansas.
29. San Francisco 49ers: Quentin Groves, Auburn.
30. Green Bay Packers: Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech.
31. New York Giants: Jerod Mayo, Tennessee.

Sedrick Ellis at #2 sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm pretty sure they have Matt Ryan rated ahead of him, so unless a trade down is in the works I just don't see it. The rest of it looks pretty solid with one exception. I don't think a TE gets taken in the 1st round.

Sedrick Ellis at #2 sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm pretty sure they have Matt Ryan rated ahead of him, so unless a trade down is in the works I just don't see it. The rest of it looks pretty solid with one exception. I don't think a TE gets taken in the 1st round.
Yeah, I think Ellis ahead of Ryan is probably unlikely for the Falcons...but I didn't want to just do the same mock as everyone else and I think there is a better chance of Ellis going 3rd than some may think.

They probably pass on Long and Gholston with the big money they are paying Abraham and Anderson and they aren't going to pick McFadden with Turner getting a big contract and starting gig. It comes down to Dorsey (he appears to be their #1 guy), Ryan and Ellis for them if you ask me and I have Dorsey off the board. Admittedly, they probably will take Ryan, but Dimitroff knows the the value of great line play and an Ellis pick would not surprise me at all.

I see the Seahawks trading down, but since I didn't do trades, I just picked the guy I think they'll get in the end. I could see them and Atlanta working out a trade where Atlanta trades up for Brohm, Flacco or Henne if they pass on Ryan and the Seahawks slide back into round 2 and get Keller without reaching too much.

Top 7 is the same as my mock except that I had an OL to KC instead of Long. If Atlanta has Ellis rated high, it's a totally reasonable pick, most have him top 5 so he's a solid value and, as you said, Dimitroff has grown up in an organization that takes DL high.

Last edited:
Dimitroff has grown up in an organization that takes DL high.

This is a good point I don't see being discussed a lot wrt Atlanta's pick Of course, the Arthur Blank factor could swing the pick.

It's tough for us to have a pick so high where there are 3 teams ahead of us with similar draft philosophies: Miami, Atlanta, and the Jets. It'll be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Yeah, I think Ellis ahead of Ryan is probably unlikely for the Falcons...but I didn't want to just do the same mock as everyone else and I think there is a better chance of Ellis going 3rd than some may think.

They probably pass on Long and Gholston with the big money they are paying Abraham and Anderson and they aren't going to pick McFadden with Turner getting a big contract and starting gig. It comes down to Dorsey (he appears to be their #1 guy), Ryan and Ellis for them if you ask me and I have Dorsey off the board. Admittedly, they probably will take Ryan, but Dimitroff knows the the value of great line play and an Ellis pick would not surprise me at all.

I could see Ellis at #3. Unless Blank puts his foot down hard, Dimitroff is not taking a QB in the first. He is going to build the Falcons DL from the inside out and the OL from the outside in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes