3(86)-Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
4(106)-Will Montgomery, C, Virginia Tech
4(118)-Tim Dobbins, LB, Iowa State
5(136)-Jeremy Mincey, LB, Florida
6(191)-Will Blackmon, CB, Boston College
6(205)-Ingle Martin, QB, Furman
6(206)-John Huston, K, Ohio State
7(229)-Ed Hinkel, WR, Iowa

Carpenter fits the mold that comes along rarely for a 3-4 defense, especially as late as the Pats are picking....tough, strong, fast, big, versatile. You just don't see the speed/size combo you are looking for in 3-4 linebackers that often. Carpenter has it.

The Pats use 3 tight ends and have for a few years. Fasano fits nicely in Fauria's spot and provides insurance if Graham can't be re-signed after this year. A junior eligible, he's tough and smart with good hands and a decent blocker. Plus he knows the offense.

Drew gives the Pats some explosiveness in both the kicking game and running/passing game. Faulk has taken a beating lately and is getting up there in years, Drew can do similar things with more explosiveness. And he is a seriously dangerous kick returner. Could be deadly on screens, draws, etc. Good change of pace.

Stovall knows the offense and was productive in it. He's perfect for the Pats.

Montgomery has started at both guard and center, giving the versatility the Pats look for. He's smart and tough and would fit in with the Pats lunch pale mentality on the o-line. Plus he is good out in space which the Pats demand of their linemen and has the needed mobility.

Dobbins is one of my favorite players in the draft. A pure inside backer, he has decent speed. Married with 2 kids, which shows he's mature and is a hard worker and team leader type. Perfect Patriot.

Mincey would convert from college end to outside linebacker and has the size/speed combo to do it. A project, he'd probably learn for a year, but has good upside and is an excellent athlete.

Blackmon is a hard worker and team player who has played both corner and wide receiver, which should attract the Pats attention. He made no bones with BC about switching to receiver his senior year and improved so that by the end of the year, was excellent at that position. I actually like him better as a receiver, but the Pats would likely teach him both and he'd also be a good special teams guy.

Martin is a top talent. With the Pats seemingly not looking at veteran QBs and, although willing to have Doug Flutie back, somewhat ambivalent about it, they must have confidence in Matt Cassell. It appears to me they think he is already ready for the #2 job. Which puts them in the market for a #3 young guy. Martin has all the tools and would be a good project pick here.

Huston is the best kicker in the draft and they can get him here. No-brainer.

Hinkel is a hard worker, Troy Brown slot receiver type who outworks everyone to make up for his average talent. But has decent speed and great hands and would be a special teams demon.

J D Sal

I read somewhere that Fasano didn't get along real well with Weis. I forget the source but the ND connection may not be a strong one to play with Fasano.

The only guy I don't like is Fasano. I can't believe most mocks have him going on the first day. He's a guy, to me, if you divest him of the Weis connection, people would say he's a bum.

I'm not big on Stovall either, but he's a good option with the 86th pick. Or Blackmon, but again, at the spot you got him, he makes sense.

Solid drafting.

JDSal45 said:
1(21)-Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
2(52)-Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame
3(75)-Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA

:agree: I think this would be a very good draft. [Although when I saw "Jeremy," I was half-surprised not to see "Bloom" afterwards. :) ]

Martin is a top talent. With the Pats seemingly not looking at veteran QBs and, although willing to have Doug Flutie back, somewhat ambivalent about it, they must have confidence in Matt Cassell. It appears to me they think he is already ready for the #2 job. Which puts them in the market for a #3 young guy. Martin has all the tools and would be a good project pick here.

I like this pick even better after reading that Martin was also their punter.

Yeah Ingle Martin was impressive at the combine. He was the backup to Rex Grossman b4 deciding to transfer to Furman.

JDSal45 said:
1(21)-Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
2(52)-Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame
3(75)-Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA

I think this is one of the better team-only mocks that i've seen. It might even be ideal if you'd taken a CB in the second round.

Last edited:
Not a bad mock at all.

However, I don't believe that Fasano is worth a 2nd rounder. I'm not sure he's worth a 3rd rounder.

Montgomery is a HUGE stretch for the 4th round. Most places have him going in the 6th or 7th.

I think that Havner is a better pick than Dobbins, personally.

Gostkowski would be a better pick than Huston. I know that Huston had a ton of TBs (49), but Gostkowski was right behind him. Both have accuracy issues. Gostkowski had only 1 good year of accuracy. Huston only had 1 year of kicking.

Yo Dabruinz, why do you prefer Havner over Dobbins. I'm not trying to make a case for either one, but I'm curious not you prefer Havner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes