PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Final Big Board

Awesome work manx. I'm not sure if you explained it earlier and I just missed it, but do the labels match up to something like this?

Starter Plus - Trade up Round 1 candidate
Starter - Pick 32
Circumstantial Starter - Early round 2
Make it Plus - Round 2-3
etc?

I'll definitely be using this come draft day, especially come day 3. Not familiar with many day 3 prospects so this should help. Hopefully BB drafts some Dirty Starter/Make it players on day 3. :)

EDIT: My bad. Clicked the link to the big board and forgot to read the first post.

Last edited:
Awesome work manx. I'm not sure if you explained it earlier and I just missed it, but do the labels match up to something like this?

Starter Plus - Trade up Round 1 candidate
Starter - Pick 32
Circumstantial Starter - Early round 2
Make it Plus - Round 2-3
etc?

I'll definitely be using this come draft day, especially come day 3. Not familiar with many day 3 prospects so this should help. Hopefully BB drafts some Dirty Starter/Make it players on day 3. :)

Thanks mate. It's in the OP. When I describe the rankings, how I envisage them matching up to which round is in bold at the end of each description but you're spot on with what you've just delineated.

I'm looking forward to using it on draft day too to see how it shapes up. It's the first time I've tried this. Will you be with us for all three days of the draft?

Thanks mate. It's in the OP. When I describe the rankings, how I envisage them matching up to which round is in bold at the end of each description but you're spot on with what you've just delineated.

I'm looking forward to using it on draft day too to see how it shapes up. It's the first time I've tried this. Will you be with us for all three days of the draft?

Ha, my bad. Not reading the first post fail by me.

Definitely will be in the patsfan thread for the draft and commenting on teams' questionable decisions. :D

Manx, I just want to join in the chorus thanking you for this awesome effort!

Manx, great board and nice use of Trello..

Onwards to the bittersweet part of the draft process.. saying goodbye to your binkies..

Manx, great board and nice use of Trello..

Onwards to the bittersweet part of the draft process.. saying goodbye to your binkies..

Thanks. Yup. In Under a week I'll barely give some (hopefully not all) of these guys a thought. Draft love is a fickle thing.

Now all we need is Mayo and OTG to update their Big Boards and it will complete the Patsfans Draft Trinity.

Nice job as usual Manx. I appreciate the effort you, mayo, Grid, and others do getting ready for the draft. It's an impossible thing for most to agree on specifically but this forum of a great place to discuss it and bounce ideas around. I no longer put in the effort I once did but team building has always been the most interesting aspect of football to me and the draft is a big part of that process. I still look fairly closely at the to 125-150 players but don't spend much time going past that anymore. At this point I'm looking at the first four rounds and trying to narrow down those prospects I would like and where the relative strengths are in those rounds. My short board at #32 will mostly be gone but my hope is one is still around and they are interested in them. At #32 it looks like this, but keep in mind I look at it proxy style and expect many be gone when they pick. I recently dumped Gurley and Lael Collins because I don't see them having any chance at falling to #32, and while the same can be said of many I do think there is some chance they could be.

1) Cameron Erving OL FSU It's not looking like he will be there but Erving is the player I want the most out of those who could possibly be there. He is a perfect fit for them and pairing him inside with Stork would be a significant upgrade at Guard, and would give them insurance if Stork was out.

2) Byron Jones CB UCONN. Like Jamie Collins a few years ago Jones is the best pure athlete in this draft and has as high a ceiling as any prospect in this draft. IMO first round picks are about getting all pro caliber players and Jones upside would fit that criteria if he panned out. I would take that chance.

3) Jordan Phillips DT Oklahoma Massive DT with exceptional athleticism for a guy that big. There are some concerns but his upside is higher than Goldman and Brown imo.

4) Marcus Peters CB Washington I don't like character questions in the first round but in terms of his play he is probably the best CB in this draft. If he falls this far they would have to consider him.

5) Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest Probably the safest pick of the CB's who could be available at 32. Should turn into a quality CB but doesn't have the ceiling you would like in the first round.

6) T.J. CB Clemmimgs Pittsburgh. Another pick based upon ceiling. Would be somewhat of a project as his time on the OL is limited and he would be moving inside to guard but he has the potential to become a really good pro guard.

7) Malcolm Brown DT Texas Brown has been slipping throughout the lead up to the draft but he's a top DL in this class and he's worth using the #32 on imo.

8) Eddie Goldman DT FSU In not as high on Goldman as I was a month ago but he's still a top DT I this draft and would also be worth the #32, although at this point I would be more inclined to try to trade down and add to the 2nd round if possible.

At this point I would try to trade down as there really aren't many players I would want to use a first on. If one of those currently expected to be top twenty falls then they would obviously come into consideration but as of now it doesn't look like one will. That said there is nothing better than picking last because you earned it.

Last edited:
Nice job as usual Manx. I appreciate the effort you, mayo, Grid, and others do getting ready for the draft. It's an impossible thing for most to agree on specifically but this forum of a great place to discuss it and bounce ideas around. I no longer put in the effort I once did but team building has always been the most interesting aspect of football to me and the draft is a big part of that process. I still look fairly closely at the to 125-150 players but don't spend much time going past that anymore. At this point I'm looking at the first four rounds and trying to narrow down those prospects I would like and where the relative strengths are in those rounds. My short board at #32 will mostly be gone but my hope is one is still around and they are interested in them. At #32 it looks like this, but keep in mind I look at it proxy style and expect many be gone when they pick. I recently dumped Gurley and Lael Collins because I don't see them having any chance at falling to #32, and while the same can be said of many I do think there is some chance they could be.

1) Cameron Erving OL FSU It's not looking like he will be there but Erving is the player I want the most out of those who could possibly be there. He is a perfect fit for them and pairing him inside with Stork would be a significant upgrade at Guard, and would give them insurance if Stork was out.

2) Byron Jones CB UCONN. Like Jamie Collins a few years ago Jones is the best out athlete in this draft and has as high a ceiling as any prospect in this draft. IMO first round picks are about getting all pro caliber players and Jones upside would fit that criteria if he panned out. I would take that chance.

3) Jordan Phillips DT Oklahoma Massive DT with exceptional athleticism for a guy that big. There are some concerns but his upside is higher than Goldman and Brown imo.

4) Marcus Peters CB Washington I don't like character questions in the first round but in terms of his play he is probably the best CB in this draft. If he falls this far they would have to consider him.

5) Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest Probably the safest pick of the CB's who could be available at 32. Should turn into a quality CB but doesn't have the ceiling you would like in the first round.

6) T.J. CB Clemmimgs Pittsburgh. Another pick based upon ceiling. Would be somewhat of a project as his time on the OL is limited and he would be moving inside to guard but he has the potential to become a really good pro guard.

7) Malcolm Brown DT Texas Brown has been slipping throughout the lead up to the draft but he's a top DL in this class and he's worth using the #32 on imo.

8) Eddie Goldman DT FSU In not as high on Goldman as I was a month ago but he's still a top DT I this draft and would also be worth the #32, although at this point I would be more inclined to try to trade down and add to the 2nd round if possible.

At this point I would try to trade down as there really aren't many players I would want to use a first on.

Aside from the DTs I agree completely with your short board - I'm not as high on the DTs as others - and I agree with your analysis of Jordan Phillips. I'd suggest considering adding AJ Cann. Take a look at another thread I've just started where I show how he compares athletically to Marpet and Bitonio. I think I'll keep him where I have him now (trade back from first) but only because he's one of the least versatile of all the OLs in this class. I am, however, starting to think his tape and athleticism make him just about worthy of 32, especially if you account for our need at LG.

Now all we need is Mayo and OTG to update their Big Boards and it will complete the Patsfans Draft Trinity.

I hope Mayo gets to do his before Thursday and I'm certainly looking forward to OTGs final mock. Always a highlight of the year.

Aside from the DTs I agree completely with your short board - I'm not as high on the DTs as others - and I agree with your analysis of Jordan Phillips. I'd suggest considering adding AJ Cann. Take a look at another thread I've just started where I show how he compares athletically to Marpet and Bitonio. I think I'll keep him where I have him now (trade back from first) but only because he's one of the least versatile of all the OLs in this class. I am, however, starting to think his tape and athleticism make him just about worthy of 32, especially if you account for our need at LG.

I agree, I would rather it be as the result of a trade down but I like Cann and he would definitely fill a need.

I made a couple of changes:

1. Moved AJ Cann to 'starter' category based upon new info on his athleticism. He jumps Laken Tomlinson and Marcus Peters.

2. Added Tyrell Williams to 'UDFA' category. I forgot about him.

Great work Manx!

This board came in handy last night :)

Great work Manx!

This board came in handy last night :)

Thanks. Didn't quite work out how I wanted but oh well. Let's see how today goes.

Good call! I had not anticipated him falling that far, so he wasn't really on my radar.

tumblr_mh9s3wyxgZ1qgqpr6o1_500.gif

Now all we need is Mayo and OTG to update their Big Boards and it will complete The Patsfans Draft Trinity.

What a Great Term!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

You Honor me, Sir, placing me in such Exalted Company, and I thank Ye!!
beer.gif

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back