PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My early perception, Patriots 3rd best in AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now. Yes, 3rd best in the AFC. Jets are stacked and . . . .

. . . Tubby could always opt for breast reduction surgery.

New York Jets (9-7)
Offensive rank: Twentieth
Defensive rank: First
Conclusion of 2009 Season: Lost in AFC Conference Finals
Biggest concern: Quarterback
Least concern: Defense; rushing

Miami Dolphins (7-9)
Offensive rank: Seventieth
Defensive rank: Twenty-second
Conclusion of 2009 Season: Didn't make the playoffs
Biggest concern: Defense; top wide receiver; offensive line; depth at quarterback
Least concern: Rushing

New England Patriots (10-6)
Offensive rank: Third
Defensive rank: Eleventh
Conclusion of 2009 Season: Lost in AFC Wild Card game
Biggest concern: Depth at wide receiver; top running back and tight end; depth at running back; pass rush
Least concern: Passing

Buffalo Bills (6-10)
Offensive rank: Thirtieth
Defensive rank: Nineteenth
Conclusion of 2009 Season: Didn't make the playoffs
Biggest concern: Quarterback; offense; top wide receiver; wide receiver depth; offensive line; pass rush
Least concern: Rushing

In general, I think it's wise not even to think about ranking teams until the Draft and FA are over and then only to start thinking about ranking them when they get to Training Camp and then maybe to actually rank them a week or so before the season begins.

Putting the Jets first in the Division is a knee jerk reaction to one admittedly quality win in San Diego (even tho against a team that has made a habit of not showing up after the bye week at home). But, it's really not warranted given that they arrived in Indy the first time 7--7 on their way to a 7--9 or at best 8--8 season. They were then handed two games and beat a notoriously inconsistent Bengals team in the Wild Card round before being exposed in the AFCCG. Like many in New York (including many Jets fans that I know), I am not sold on Sanchez as anything more than an "OK to Good" NFL QB. Their Defense is aging and there are several roster challenges ahead this offseason. In addition, there are a couple of ego issues in the lockerroom that won't get any better after their brush with the big game. Rex Ryan truly irritated about 60% of the NFL fanbase and many in the media in New York when he said that his Jets were now superior to the Giants; so I see rough sailing ahead.

Putting the Dolphins with Chad Henne getting his act together ahead of the Pats with Tom Brady is just silly at this point. Yes, they are no longer the doormat of the division and yes they can usually be depended on to win one of their games against us each year, but that doesn't make them better at this point.

I have no idea how I'll rank the Division come August or early September, but I certainly don't agree with doing what you've done at this point.

Last edited:
Well right now as we stand on Jan 27th, the jets and miami are a tad bit better than us.. But the season starts on Sept , so there is alot of tweaking to be done... I think we need to ask this question in may...

I don't think Miami is better than us at this point. They actually have more holes to fill on their defense than we do. For comparison:

Offense:
1. QB - Edge Pats

2. O-Line - Edge Dolphins (subject to change after draft)

3. RB's - Edge Dolphins

4. WR's - Edge Pats

5. TE's - Edge Pats

Defense:
1. D-Line - Edge Pats (Dolphins are going to have to find a NT to replace Ferguson).

2. LB's - Edge Pats (we need an ILB and two OLB's while the Dolphins are likely going to need the same as Wake can rush the passer but is suspect against the run. Porter is making negative waves down there with Sparano and Jason Taylor wasn't exactly a fan favorite as a pick-up. Both are old. That leaves Mayo left vs. Crowder which is where I give NE the edge for now).

3. CB's - Edge Dolphins (Like what both Smith and Davis did this season plus they can only improve from here. Will Allen is older and will have to be replaced. The Pats, on the other hand, have a #2 in Bodden, a POSSIBLE #1 in Butler, a combination of Wilhite/Wheatley, and an aging Shawn Springs... who might not even be on the team next season).

4. Safeties - Edge Pats (Bell is serviceable and Wilson was just awful. I like our set-up at safety with Medicore, Sanders, McGowan, and Chung).

the jets got a free ride into the playoffs!

They may have but they managed to beat the Chargers (and did so not because the Chargers laid down for them, but because Rivers was running for his life on most plays) and took the Colts into halftime with a lead, in spite of a quarterback who was a rookie and was being held back. If Sanchez improves next season, this team is the clear candidate to win the division. However, Jets fans should not enjoy this for too long as they are looking at the possibility of being in cap hell in a couple of years.

Well right now as we stand on Jan 27th, the jets and miami are a tad bit better than us.. But the season starts on Sept , so there is alot of tweaking to be done... I think we need to ask this question in may...

Really? The Dolphins went 7-9. They have no receiving corp. Their defense is old and most likely will lose both edge rushers and one of their best defensive players is going to be 36 next season. If anything, the Dolphins are a tad bit worse than the Pats and may have rebuild their entire defense and receiving corp with their lead back coming off of season ending injury.

I don't think Miami is better than us at this point. They actually have more holes to fill on their defense than we do. For comparison:

Offense:
1. QB - Edge Pats

3. RB's - Edge Dolphins

4. WR's - Edge Pats

5. TE's - Edge Pats

Defense:
1. D-Line - Edge Pats (Dolphins are going to have to find a NT to replace Ferguson).

2. LB's - Edge Pats (we need an ILB and two OLB's while the Dolphins are likely going to need the same as Wake can rush the passer but is suspect against the run. Porter is making negative waves down there with Sparano and Jason Taylor wasn't exactly a fan favorite as a pick-up. Both are old. That leaves Mayo left vs. Crowder which is where I give NE the edge for now).

3. CB's - Edge Dolphins (Like what both Smith and Davis did this season plus they can only improve from here. Will Allen is older and will have to be replaced. The Pats, on the other hand, have a #2 in Bodden, a POSSIBLE #1 in Butler, a combination of Wilhite/Wheatley, and an aging Shawn Springs... who might not even be on the team next season).

4. Safeties - Edge Pats (Bell is serviceable and Wilson was just awful. I like our set-up at safety with Medicore, Sanders, McGowan, and Chung).

I would give the edge at TE to the Dolphins since the only TE the Pats have under contract is Chris Baker. Anthony Fasano is a better receiver than Baker.

They may have but they managed to beat the Chargers (and did so not because the Chargers laid down for them, but because Rivers was running for his life on most plays) and took the Colts into halftime with a lead, in spite of a quarterback who was a rookie and was being held back. If Sanchez improves next season, this team is the clear candidate to win the division. However, Jets fans should not enjoy this for too long as they are looking at the possibility of being in cap hell in a couple of years.

I am still leaving the Jets as a big question mark. The clearly backed into the playoffs and should have been 8-8. The way the Bengals played, I think most teams in the league could have beat them Wild Card weekend. I still think the Chargers beat themselves as much as the Jets beat them, but the Jets played them tough and it was a quality win.

I still think Sanchez is a liability for the Jets. How long can they go with him throwing 15-20 passes a game? How long before teams get successful at shutting down the run and forcing the Jets to throw? If that is what he becomes is a game manager who they don't let throw more than 20 times a game, why did they trade up to the 5th position to take the guy. Kyle Orton could give you that for next to nothing.

Ronnie Brown went out in the first half of Week 10. On top of that, while Ricky Williams is still good, I would not call him "one of the better RB's in the league". And of course Brady would do better. Brady's a GOAT candidate. That's an incredibly weak argument you're trying to make. And no, I'm not trying to put him in the top ten right now. I'm just saying that he's solid. If the Dolphins put better weapons around him then what they have right now (which is pretty WIDELY agreed to be the worst receiving corps in the league), he'll be even better. His numbers aren't impressive this year, no. But when you consider that this was his first season starting and then consider what he had to work with, then you should be pretty impressed. And believe me, I HATE the Dolphins and have never had any reason to defend them. But Henne is and will continue to be a solid QB, one who can only improve from here.

I don't know, I think the Rams could compete in that department.

Bess always seems pretty good when I watch him. But you're right that they don't have much else; loved the Ginn pick when they made it, love it even more now. Almost as good as Jason Allen.

Really? The Dolphins went 7-9. They have no receiving corp. Their defense is old and most likely will lose both edge rushers and one of their best defensive players is going to be 36 next season. If anything, the Dolphins are a tad bit worse than the Pats and may have rebuild their entire defense and receiving corp with their lead back coming off of season ending injury.

1.) The Dolphins split the season series with the Patriots.

2.) New England played the Ravens without Welker. How'd that work out?

I personally don't think the Dolphins are better than the Patriots, even "as is", but it's not as if it's a slam dunk if they lined up today.

I personally don't think the Dolphins are better than the Patriots, even "as is", but it's not as if it's a slam dunk if they lined up today.

So by that same logic the Dolphins were better in 2001, 2004, and 2006 because they split the series then too?

Also the Dolphin's best player (Brown) was lost to a relatively serious injury (obviously it happened mid season, and fortunately their second best player plays the same position).

I still don't see any real argument that the Dolphins are BETTER than the Patriots.

So by that same logic the Dolphins were better in 2001, 2004, and 2006 because they split the series then too?

Also the Dolphin's best player (Brown) was lost to a relatively serious injury (obviously it happened mid season, and fortunately their second best player plays the same position).

I still don't see any real argument that the Dolphins are BETTER than the Patriots.

First, I noted that I don't think the Dolphins are better, so that makes your question not only a failed attempt to undercut an unmade point, but moot.

Second, it should make people hesitate to proclaim the Patriots the better team when the Patriots split the season series. It should at least make one go back and re-consider before just spouting off.

Third, and maybe you missed this part, so I'll emphasize it...... WES WELKER IS NOT CURRENTLY CAPABLE OF PLAYING FOOTBALL FOR THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS. He's not even gone under the knife yet, since he's still rehabbing the MCL.

Fourth, this is nothing but an end of the season exercise where people are slotting teams that will not be lining up next season as currently constituted. It's nothing more than a projection based upon current information. Are you really going to assert that this team as constituted, minus Wilfork, Bodden, Watson, Welker, Mankins, Neal, Thomas and Green would be a better squad than the current Dolphins squad? It's theoretically possible (albeit unlikely since I expect Mankins to be tendered and Wilfork to be franchised) for that to be the situation moving into free agency, after all.

Last edited:
First, I noted that I don't think the Dolphins are better, so that makes your question not only a failed attempt to undercut an unmade point, but moot.

Second, it should make people hesitate to proclaim the Patriots the better team when the Patriots split the season series. It should at least make one go back and re-consider before just spouting off.

Third, and maybe you missed this part, so I'll emphasize it...... WES WELKER IS NOT CURRENTLY CAPABLE OF PLAYING FOOTBALL FOR THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS. He's not even gone under the knife yet, since he's still rehabbing the MCL.

Fourth, this is nothing but an end of the season exercise where people are slotting teams that will not be lining up next season as currently constituted. It's nothing more than a projection based upon current information. Are you really going to assert that this team as constituted, minus Wilfork, Bodden, Watson, Welker, Mankins, Neal, Thomas and Green would be a better squad than the current Dolphins squad? It's theoretically possible (albeit unlikely since I expect Mankins to be tendered and Wilfork to be franchised) for that to be the situation moving into free agency, after all.

I realize you said you don't think they are currently better but you offered two possible points as to why one would argue otherwise, so I simply addressed those. But continue playing both sides if you want.

My point being with the season split is that it does not indicate anything on its own as to what team is better pure and simple.

Offense:
1. QB - Edge Pats

3. RB's - Edge Dolphins

4. WR's - Edge Pats

5. TE's - Edge Pats

Defense:

OOOOR, because the chargers suck in the playoffs and Norv is a joke. and sanchez inproving would be him throwing "only" 19 INTS.

1.) The Dolphins still finished three games behind the Pats. They are going to have to rebuild their defense since Porter is all but gone, Taylor is not guaranteed to return, and Ferguson is in his late 30s.

2.) We do not know if Welker is going to miss a game yet. There is a chance no matter how slim that he will be there for the opening kick off in September of next season. The rehab time for an ACL repair is as little as seven months. So if he goes under the knife in the next week or two, he could be back.

Also, what does losing to the Ravens have to do with the Dolphins? Would Welker have made the tackle on Rice in that first play of the game and stop him for running for a near 80 yard TD? Would Welker have blocked Suggs on that strip sack where Brady was clearly trying to go down field and probably never would have looked at Welker even if he was in there (it seemed pretty obvious to me that the Pats were going to try to exploit the weakness of the Ravens' defense on that play - their secondary playing deep)? The Pats lost that game because they came out flat and the Ravens came out pumped. By the time the Pats regained their footing, it was too late. I saw little that Welker could have done to prevent the Pats from getting in a 14-0 hole in the first few minutes.

I don't get your argument. Where did I say it was a slam dunk that the Pats would win? I think the Pats are clearly better than the Dolphins, but do I think they are worlds better right now? No. If the Pats and Dolphins played 10 times, I am pretty convinced the Pats would win at least 6 of the games. But I don't think they would definitely win 9 or 10.

1.) The Dolphins still finished three games behind the Pats. They are going to have to rebuild their defense since Porter is all but gone, Taylor is not guaranteed to return, and Ferguson is in his late 30s.

2.) We do not know if Welker is going to miss a game yet. There is a chance no matter how slim that he will be there for the opening kick off in September of next season. The rehab time for an ACL repair is as little as seven months. So if he goes under the knife in the next week or two, he could be back.

You don't know if the Dolphins are going to make moves, either, but that's not the situation at hand. You're playing both sides of the fence, and that's a waste of time given that this thread will almost certainly be irrelevant no later than a week or two into free agency, if not before. Also, please feel free to list all the NFL players who play the game the way Welker does and returned from ACL surgery at 100% in seven months.

Also, what does losing to the Ravens have to do with the Dolphins? Would Welker have made the tackle on Rice in that first play of the game and stop him for running for a near 80 yard TD? Would Welker have blocked Suggs on that strip sack where Brady was clearly trying to go down field and probably never would have looked at Welker even if he was in there (it seemed pretty obvious to me that the Pats were going to try to exploit the weakness of the Ravens' defense on that play - their secondary playing deep)? The Pats lost that game because they came out flat and the Ravens came out pumped. By the time the Pats regained their footing, it was too late. I saw little that Welker could have done to prevent the Pats from getting in a 14-0 hole in the first few minutes.

Rob, I can either assume that you're kidding with this post, or I can wonder if you've lost your mind. On the strip sack alone, one can easily assume that Welker would have broken open before Suggs got to Brady. Therefore, I assume you're kidding.

I don't get your argument. Where did I say it was a slam dunk that the Pats would win? I think the Pats are clearly better than the Dolphins, but do I think they are worlds better right now? No. If the Pats and Dolphins played 10 times, I am pretty convinced the Pats would win at least 6 of the games. But I don't think they would definitely win 9 or 10.

I never claimed you said it was a slam dunk, so I don't see why this would be something you'd focus on.

You don't know if the Dolphins are going to make moves, either, but that's not the situation at hand. You're playing both sides of the fence, and that's a waste of time given that this thread will almost certainly be irrelevant no later than a week or two into free agency, if not before. Also, please feel free to list all the NFL players who play the game the way Welker does and returned from ACL surgery at 100% in seven months.

I am not playing both sides of the fence. I am comparing both teams right now prior to free agency. In fact, if you look at my previous posts in this thread, I have stated that it is stupid to make predictions for next year prior to free agency and the draft. The only players I have talked about who might be added or removed are players that are all but definitely going to removed. It is reported in the Miami papers today that word is Joey Porter has been informed that he won't be returning and Porter has stated publically that he isn't returning. There are also plenty of indications that Taylor won't be back. Ferguson is 35 and will be 36 in the season and coming off of a season ending injury. They already have holes on their defense and it looks that they will have to rebuild the defense.

You know what? The Dolphins could be really agressive this offseason and be the best team in the league or do very little and be far worse. All I can talk about what the the teams are right now.

As for Welker, there are medical journals that studied RBs and WRs with ACL reconstructions and they say that players have returned in as little as 7 months with a 67% chance of being close to 100%. Several WRs have returned in similiar timelines such as Braylon Edwards. I am not saying it is definite Welker will return, but it isn't definite he won't return either. Medical science says otherwise.

Rob, I can either assume that you're kidding with this post, or I can wonder if you've lost your mind. On the strip sack alone, one can easily assume that Welker would have broken open before Suggs got to Brady. Therefore, I assume you're kidding.

Not kidding at all. Why would you assume I was kidding. You are making a lot of assumptions without support.

First, you assume that Brady would have even looked in Welker's direction. It seemed pretty clear that play was designed to stretch the field and exploit the Ravens' secondary. Brady seemed to be locked on down the field and not going through his progressions. Brady may never have checked off and looked for Welker on that play.

Second, you assume that Brady knew Suggs was as close to him as he was and that he needed to release the ball at that moment or get strip sacked. Brady made no effort to protect the ball and that may have meant that he was unaware that he was under pressure at all. It did come from his blindside.

I never claimed you said it was a slam dunk, so I don't see why this would be something you'd focus on.

I don't get your point. You are arguing with me because I think at this point in time that the Pats are at least a tad bit better than the Dolphins which you agree with. Unless you are arguing that I think it is a slam dunk, I don't get where there is a disagreement.

Last edited:
I am not playing both sides of the fence. I am comparing both teams right now prior to free agency. In fact, if you look at my previous posts in this thread, I have stated that it is stupid to make predictions for next year prior to free agency and the draft. The only players I have talked about who might be added or removed are players that are all but definitely going to removed. It is reported in the Miami papers today that word is Joey Porter has been informed that he won't be returning and Porter has stated publically that he isn't returning. There are also plenty of indications that Taylor won't be back. Ferguson is 35 and will be 36 in the season and coming off of a season ending injury. They already have holes on their defense and it looks that they will have to rebuild the defense.

You know what? The Dolphins could be really agressive this offseason and be the best team in the league or do very little and be far worse. All I can talk about what the the teams are right now.

As for Welker, there are medical journals that studied RBs and WRs with ACL reconstructions and they say that players have returned in as little as 7 months with a 67% chance of being close to 100%. Several WRs have returned in similiar timelines such as Braylon Edwards. I am not saying it is definite Welker will return, but it isn't definite he won't return either. Medical science says otherwise.

1.) Braylon Edwards was not close to 100% just to point to your example.

2.) You can't reconcile claims of Welker being ready with claims that "I am comparing both teams right now prior to free agency", since right now prior to free agency, Welker is not capable of playing football for the New England Patriots.

Not kidding at all. Why would you assume I was kidding. You are making a lot of assumptions without support.

First, you assume that Brady would have even looked in Welker's direction. It seemed pretty clear that play was designed to stretch the field and exploit the Ravens' secondary. Brady seemed to be locked on down the field and not going through his progressions. Brady may never have checked off and looked for Welker on that play.

Second, you assume that Brady knew Suggs was as close to him as he was and that he needed to release the ball at that moment or get strip sacked. Brady made no effort to protect the ball and that may have meant that he was unaware that he was under pressure at all. It did come from his blindside.

Given that Welker and Moss are reads #1 and #2, it's not any significant assumption to note the possibility of looking to Welker.

Second, I wasn't the one who came up with the initial claim, you were. If Welker is in there, the offense isn't running based upon ignoring everyone but Moss as a first look. Welker's presence would have changed everything.

Third, you're the one making the biggest assumption, since you're assuming both that the play called would be identical and that Brady wouldn't have checked down faster if he had Welker available to him.

I don't get your point. You are arguing with me because I think at this point in time that the Pats are at least a tad bit better than the Dolphins which you agree with. Unless you are arguing that I think it is a slam dunk, I don't get where there is a disagreement.

How the hell is

arguing with you? Try taking a look back at the post you responded to:

Here's someone talking about "as we stand on Jan 27th" and you were arguing the opposite. I noted the spanking by the Ravens and the fact that the Patriots split the series even with Welker. As I noted, you're trying to argue both sides of the fence.

Last edited:
The presumption by many posters here is that we will sign all our free agents will equal talent players or upgrades, add major improvements in free agency (including 1-2 high-profile free agents) and draft 3-4 2010 starters. In this context, it is silly to think that we will not be favored to win the division.

1.) Braylon Edwards was not close to 100% just to point to your example.

2.) You can't reconcile claims of Welker being ready with claims that "I am comparing both teams right now prior to free agency", since right now prior to free agency, Welker is not capable of playing football for the New England Patriots.

1.) Edwards had a better year when he returned than the year he tore his ACL.

2.) Even without Welker, I still think the Pats are at least a tad bit better. Besides, it is far too early to write off Welker for the entire 2010 season. Even if he is PUPed, there is still a decent chance he could return in October.

Given that Welker and Moss are reads #1 and #2, it's not any significant assumption to note the possibility of looking to Welker.

I think Edelman in his second year with an entire offseason working with Brady could be a pretty good #2. He won't be Welker, but he could be as good or better than say former good #2 here like Givens or Patten (and I know they have different skill set).

Second, I wasn't the one who came up with the initial claim, you were. If Welker is in there, the offense isn't running based upon ignoring everyone but Moss as a first look. Welker's presence would have changed everything.

Again, you don't know that. There were plenty of times this year where Welker was in the game and healthy and Moss was his only look. You cannot say that Welker would have changed anything because Brady could have been a half a second from launching the ball down field to an open Moss when he was strip sacked. You are speculating, but the reality is none of us know.

Third, you're the one making the biggest assumption, since you're assuming both that the play called would be identical and that Brady wouldn't have checked down faster if he had Welker available to him.

I am not assuming anything. The play that was called was a deep pass to Moss. I am not assuming anything. I am judging the play based on the play called. Could the Pats called a different play with Welker there, possibly. But that was the play that was called and I don't see how the outcome would have changed if Welker was in there.

arguing with you? Try taking a look back at the post you responded to:

If you want to use debate, discuss, or whatever. You aren't going to get into semantics of use of words?

Here's someone talking about "as we stand on Jan 27th" and you were arguing the opposite. I noted the spanking by the Ravens and the fact that the Patriots split the series even with Welker. As I noted, you're trying to argue both sides of the fence.

Ok, so I looked ahead to sometime between January 27th and March 4th before the free agency period starts. So sue me. Since it seems to be a forgone conclusion that Joey Porter is going to be cut, I took that into effect. Welker is irrelevant because I think the Pats are better without him.

As for the spanking the Pats took from Baltimore, how is that relevant? The Dolphins got spanked by the Bills at the end of November and the Pats beat them twice. One game is not a barometer for how a team plays. The Pats for all we know could beat the Ravens 9 out of 10 times if they played them and unfortunately a few Sundays was the one day.

Personally, I felt the interior o-line was far more of a problem than the lack of Welker in that game. Edelman did have six catches for 44 yards and 2 TDs in that game. It isn't Welker numbers, but still decent. Also, Faulk matched a season high in number of receptions too. So although Welker was missed, it wasn't like the Pats were totally devoid of receiving options. The bigger problem was that Ray Lewis was blitzing up the gut of the offensive line untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back